Pam's Jamaican Blue Baby

-
More parts and pieces sandblasted, cleaned and painted ready for install.
Got some chrome back so I'm going to finish the grills next week.

Keep posted...more slow work coming. :D

Mop

Attachments

• 100_4659.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 722
  • 100_4661.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 698
  • 100_4662.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 712
  • 100_4677.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 709
Is this the stuff you used? Also, how do you secure the chrome surround to the plastic shell to hold them together? Originally there are stubs bent over the plastic to hold it together, do you grind those off to get them apart? Any tips greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• PlasticWelder.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 675
The outer trim ring...large piece is bolted on and comes off when you remove the grills from the car.

The small inner chrome trim is riveted on and would need to be ground off to get off. The mesh is held in place via spring clamps and pops out with some persuasion.

I left my inner aluminum trim in place and polished the aluminum before I started anything. (Mine was in pretty good shape and did not need anything other than polish.

I taped off the inner chrome when done polishing and painted the tabs that hold the mesh and backs of the grill housings satin black then flipped them over taped off the backs and did the argent paint to finish them on the front.

That is the same epoxy product I used....very strong and sandable.

Good luck.

The outer trim ring...large piece is bolted on and comes off when you remove the grills from the car.

I have two sets of originals here and I was looking at them tonight. Looks like there are short thin studs cast into the outer chrome trim which get crushed over the plastic shell to hold the two pieces together. I will probably have to gently grind away the "mushroomed" tops of the studs to get the grills apart. Maybe yours had been apart in the past so yours just came apart when you took them off?

Anyway, thanks for the tip on the plastic welder, now I can get those cracked shells fixed.

No problem.

As I mentioned I did not remove the small trim that is inside the plastic housing. Just clean, polish and tape. If your's are pitted or faded then you will probably want to remove them. You will have to grind the rivets off if you want to remove them.

Good luck

HOT OUT OF THE SHOP!

Here is the end result of the grill restoration/repair and a cost sheet for those of you at home keeping score. :D

Purchase of outer trim ring cores (If yours are good your ahead here) $160.00 both sides. I used one of mine and one I bought.

Outer chrome trim plating - $300.00 both sides

Paint and body work materials: $50.00

Repair of broken housing and body/paint work: FREE - my labor

If you have to re-plate your indicator light bezels then add $100.00/both (Mine just needed a good cleaning then a good polishing with Mothers)

If you have to remove the inner trim ring then add $100.00 for strip and polish. (Mine were clean enough to polish them and leave them in place.)

My total investment $510.00 plus about 12 hours of my time for both.

My wife was impressed with the huge $$$ savings over getting them done by a pro.........lucky me may be me getting lucky tonight.

:blob:

Enjoy the pics.

Mop

Attachments

• 100_4730w.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 629
  • 100_4729w.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 643
  • 100_4728w.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 657
  • 100_4727w.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 652
  • 100_4726w.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 667
  • 100_4725w.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 633
HOT OUT OF THE SHOP!

Here is the end result of the grill restoration/repair and a cost sheet for those of you at home keeping score. :D

Purchase of outer trim ring cores (If yours are good your ahead here) $160.00 both sides. I used one of mine and one I bought.

If you have to re-plate your indicator light bezels then add $100.00/both (Mine just needed a good cleaning then a good polishing with Mothers)

If you have to remove the inner trim ring then add $100.00 for strip and polish. (Mine were clean enough to polish them and leave them in place.)

My wife was impressed with the huge $$$ savings over getting them done by a pro.........lucky me may be me getting lucky tonight.

Enjoy the pics.

Mop

Mop, those turned out fantastic! nice work!

Thanks.

I'm real happy with the outcome if I do say so myself.

Moving on this week to the rear panel.

Had it stripped then dents repaired and polished where need be.

I need to get it anodized now before I paint it so off to the anodizer tomorrow.

Here is the progression.

Stripped tail panel first
Anodizing removed on second photo

Attachments

• 100_4445w.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 622
  • 100_4449.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 642
More boring pieces and parts done in the last few days while I wait for the anodizer. This is what the tail panel looks like on its way there.

I'm almost out of parts to restore so I'm going to get back on the body this week.

I still have lower trunk extensions to remove and replace.

Enjoy the pics

Mop

Attachments

• 100_4547-1.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 586
  • 100_4734w.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 593
  • 100_4733w.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 607
  • 100_4731w.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 594
HOT OUT OF THE SHOP!

Enjoy the pics.

Mop

You mean those were not done by a 'Pro" ?? BEAUTIFUL MAN!

Thanks....I'm figuring out as I go through life that a pro is nothing more than someone with experience and patience.

I have the experience....I lack the patience, but I'm noticing that by doing these smaller projects and focusing on starting and completing them, I'm gaining patience.

So sooner or later I should become a pro by default.....just like many people on this site.

Mop

Last 20 days saw me make patterns for the trunk extension panels.
Cut em out then I rolled some beads in them at my buddies shop.
Shaped the flanges then drilled them out for spot welding.

Prep them with some paint on the back sides and welded them in. Of course nothing ever goes smoothly so I had to repair more hidden rust along the way.

I think I should have just stripped the whole car down before I started because it looks like I'm going to have to anyway

Enjoy the pics.

I'm going to replace the wheel lip on the passenger side next week.

Attachments

• 100_4753w.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 540
  • 100_4750w.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 539
  • 100_4752w.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 512
  • 100_4746w.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 519
  • 100_4745w.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 520
  • 100_4744w.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 546
  • 100_4743w.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 523
  • 100_4742w.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 525
  • 100_4741w.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 548
Yes...the layers of unprotected steel trap the dirt and moisture over the years and turn them to dust....typical Mopar.

I'm going to sand it down before I go any further so I can get a real feel for whats left to do. I know there are a couple of other places that I may have problems and with the bondo I am already encountering I think it would be best.

So back three steps again.....:banghead:

So today is the day that her baby finally goes to the body shop.

We pulled the last pieces off the car including the top and she's on her way.

Say goodbye to that project for a while and say hello to finishing up the suspension parts and pieces.

At least I can work indoors in the cool for a while. :toothy7:

Attachments

• 100_4813.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 423
So I just got back from a much needed vacation and I'm back on the parts and pieces. One of the last things I did before dropping it off was repair the cracked plastic on the rear interior side panels, disassemble the steering column and repair the steering wheel.

The side panels were a breeze with that 2 part plastic epoxy there was 3 cracks and I had to fill 2 misplaced holes that are for the top cover snaps. The column was not to bad to take apart and it needs to be painted to match the new interior color anyway. The end of the column that is exposed in the engine bay was all rusty as well so I need to clean that up.

The steering wheel was badly cracked/separated in 7 locations so I used that epoxy steering wheel repair goop and got that ready over the last few days. The stuff works great and for a few hours labor and lots of sanding you can have a wheel that is as good as new.

I'll get some pics of the car at the body shop next week and as always...enjoy the pics....nothing exciting but stay tuned.

Oh and if anyone needs step by step instructions with pics for steering column dis-assembly let me know.

Mop

Attachments

• 100_4859w.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 389
  • 100_4854w.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 390
  • 100_4821w.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 408
Been a while but the car is in the body shop and they are kicking arss...
Few shots of the nice metal work they did on the front fenders and trunk area...these are a few weeks old. Pam gets to pick the level of bling were going to add to the stock color tomorrow. Should be in color next week. :cheers:

Im on break till I get it gets back....summers almost over.

Enjoy

Mop

Attachments

• 100_4872.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 357
  • 100_4871.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 360
  • 100_4870.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 363
  • 100_4867.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 352
  • 100_4862.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 358
Few more from this morning.....

Attachments

• 20130822_121727.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 343
  • 20130822_121738.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 387
These guys are doing an amazing job considering the budget for the paint and bodywork. I will be back again as they have a great metal man and they are determined to finish what they start. It's only been in there for 35 days and they will be done completely next week.

I wasn't expecting that so I am a little behind the ball. I have lots to do before I get it home and not much time it.

Paint pics to come next week.

Back to the shop to clean and prepare for me.

Mop

-
Back