Parking Brake Light Problem

-

bbab3

Reaction score
I have been trying to fix a problem of the brake light switch turning on the front right and rear left parking and brake lights. I replaced all parking and brake lights with LEDs and am using United Pacific 90650 flashers with the polarity reversed. I also installed a new turn signal switch. With the ignition off and the brake pedal pushed down the right front parking light and the rear left brake light come on but not the right rear brake light. When I turn the key on and I push the brake pedal down the same happens, but will stop when the turn signal switch is turned to the left and the lights stay on when switched to neutral or to the right. Also when the ignition is off the 4 way flashers will cause the lights to go off and the flashers work as normal. With the turn signal switch harness disconnected the lights go off. When all of the electrical was installed everything worked fine. Any ideas on where to start? The car is a '67 Barracuda.

I would verify that the new switch pinout is the same as the old switch. The colors might not be the same for the function.

I would be tempted to replace all the lights with standard bulbs.

Not sure I understand the flasher "with the polarity reversed"

I am going to double check the harness connection and hopefully that is the problem. the reverse polarity is how the flashers have to be connected to work with LEDs. There is now a new connector switch the connection for the United Pacific flashers.

Typically led compatible flashers have a dedicated ground.

These flashes do have a ground.

I would clip a wire to the trunk latch striker, and use the other end to ground, first the RRear tail-lite base ( of the bulb ) that'll prob make that signal/brake work.
Then same test to other bulb bases giving trouble.
I think the grounds are poor on the offending bulbs .
Common problem .
jmo, cheers .
Good hunting !

Last edited:
Thanks. I appreciate the input.

Weird cross connects and poor grounds can really screw you up. I would yank out all the LED equipment in the turn/ stop circuits and reinstall bulbs and conventional flasher ONLY to confirm that the system works properly. You may have screwed up wiring the TS switch as example, or it could even be defective / mis wired. Get that working, and then reinstall the LED stuff and go from there.

CHECK SOCKET GROUNDS or even consider soldering ground pigtails to the socket shells and bolting to a good ground point on the body.

-
Back