Parts changing before V8 swap

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
OK so I am going to do a swap to a V8 in my Duster 1973 original /6 car.

I know I am going to put a 8.75 in the car so I am going to put rear disc brakes on it.I am also going to put a rear sway bar on it.

I have just put a sway bar on the front so I am good with that.I am going to put some 340 torsion bars on it.I was also looking to put some tubular upper arms on it and front disc brake conversion.

I was also thinking about tubular lower arms on it.I was thinking about putting new shocks on the front don't know what they are called.The are a shock with a string around the shock itself.

My questions

Is this set up any good.
Were can I get good quality upper arms that will not brake the bank.
Were can I get a good quality front disc brake conversion.
Is there any need for tubular lower arms if so were can I get them.
Were can I get torsion bars.

OK so I am going to do a swap to a V8 in my Duster 1973 original /6 car.

Big or small block?

I know I am going to put a 8.75 in the car so I am going to put rear disc brakes on it.I am also going to put a rear sway bar on it.

Good, but many believe rear discs are overkill on the street. I happen to like them for ease of maintenance.

I have just put a sway bar on the front so I am good with that.I am going to put some 340 torsion bars on it.

Think in terms of bar diameter. The increase in stiffness of the bars is parabolic, not linear, so a small increase in bar diameter is a huge increase in noticeable stiffness.

I was also looking to put some tubular upper arms on it and front disc brake conversion.

Some are nice and light compared to stock. Some seem better than others. Some provide increased camber. Note the new uppers produced by curley's racers in another thread. They seem well-made.

I was also thinking about tubular lower arms on it.

They are fairly expensive. If they are well-made, they will flex less than stock lowers; however, that might be noticeable only on a race course.

I was thinking about putting new shocks on the front don't know what they are called.The are a shock with a string around the shock itself.

Beats me what they are. Are you talking about shocks with coil springs?

My questions

Is this set up any good.
Were can I get good quality upper arms that will not brake the bank.
Were can I get a good quality front disc brake conversion.
Is there any need for tubular lower arms if so were can I get them.
Were can I get torsion bars.

You seem to be starting at the bottom on this one. My best advice is for you to read back through some of the posts in this section. There have been numerous questions and answers and opinions posed on various aspects of suspension builds. I am serious about reading the old threads first. There is a wealth of information there. You will get an idea of what others have done. The people here have built some serious suspensions, from reproducing stock items to going to full racing applications. After getting an idea of what others have done (and your budget), ask away.

I think he's referring to a coilover setup for the shocks. You'll have to do some searching because this subject has been addressed multiple times with the pros and cons argued in detail. I know Badart is working on some lower arms and coilover conversion parts for use with a stock K-frame. Might check with him and see what he has available.

hey dusterkid, i'm doing a swap similar to yours and if you put the $20 weld-on reinforcement plates on the lower control arms, you won't have to spend $400 on a tubular set:) That's what i did works greaaaat!

I mught just get upper and clean up the lowers

Yea nothing wrong with that! Unless you're autocrossing or coming down hard after pulling up the front wheels, the LCA's will be just fine imo:) Badart and curleysracecars both hand fab some real nice tubular stuff for our A-bodies maybe check them out sometime!

-
Back