Parts Washer Solvent

-

scuba0331

Reaction score
Thats a good question..not sure if mine is water based or not..... I got my stuff from advanced auto before it went to 50 bucks for 5 gallons...the biggest thing I do is keep it clean, make sure you get all the oily crap out first... I know it sounds stupid, like whats the point, trust me...that nice solvent will look like crap in no time flat....

I use zep orange at work. It's a great degreaser but treat it with respect ,its tough on skin and eyes. It will destroy painted surfaces.

can somebody post a link for zep orange please? have googled it and only found info on hand cleaner. i need to buy a parts washer soon, and if there is not a better cleaning solution than Simple Green I very well might just rig up something with the utility sink we are not using and a 5 gallon bucket of mineral spirits or something

I like the 1-gallon green soap from Harbor Freight....I dilute it at least 50/50. The truth is, though, that I hate water-based solvents.....I wish I could get my hands on some old school Safety-Kleen style stuff.

I tried Purple Power a while back and will never do that again. It's really tough on skin but not so much when it comes to grease and grime. Worse...it leaves a horrible film that you have to rinse off (per the directions) with hot water for what feels like 3 hours.

The ole red shop rags make great filters too. I have been using the $50 stuff from Advance for about 2 years, is it still available? I about about due to get some more.

Used the Castrol Purple stuff and it worked great. It was in the mid 30 dollar range for 5 gallons. I then made the mistake of using "Super Clean" purple and it ate the crap out of aluminum parts. Never again will I use that stuff.

Home Depot has Zep Industrial Degreaser for 34.95 for a 5 gallon container. i'm going to try that next.

Speaking of Parts Washers I made my own out of an old Dishwasher and connected up the Hot Water to the drain on my Hot water heater and just wired a plug with a long cord on to it and ran the drain hose outside. Works Great for washing greasy parts and plenty of HOT Water!!!!!!!

We dilute the Zep Orange in the parts washer at about 20:1 but I keep some undiluted in a spray bottle for really nasty stuff. Joe

Thanks for the replies.

I went to TP tool and bought a water based parts solvent. So far so good. I think I will get some Zep orange as well.

-
Back