Patch panel welding - body guys

-
You better back under the Sunnybrook and set it down on the hitch to see if your bondo busts before you paint it! That would be MY luck....lol. Looks great so far!

On a serious note, the left side looks much better from the outside, but both the inner and outer wheelhouse is gone, along with the rails/supports under the bed where it rests on the frame behind the wheel. The only thing holding the bed up in the center are the 5th wheel brackets. The frame is solid.

So do you have a preference? angle or squared??

Angled. Shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line. Made for less welding/grinding.
Left side should be a smaller opening in the bed side, but I'll have more work inside once I open it up.

So I was able to make a smaller opening on the left side. Keeps me away from the fuel door. Cut the patch panel down to size. Got the inner/other wheelhouses done this evening. Bought a pneumatic flange maker. A helluva lot easier to flange than with the vise grip looking flange tool I've had forever.
20200810_195138.jpg
20200811_200256.jpg

Whoa! :eek: You snuck a color change in on us....lol. It looks really nice.

Ya know.... I didn't necessarily like the original color when I bought it 2 years used in 2007. I was shopping year, mileage and Cummins. Color didn't matter and the day I bought it, I said if it was new it would be a form of red. LOL

Yep....it's a moth to flame type of color! I saw mine at the dealership, about 30 seconds after it came of the hauler. It just kinda sucked me in, even though I had no intentions of buying a truck that day.
IMG_0886.JPG

-
Back