Paypal Questions

-

Sully1190

Look. It's a Gold Duster.
Reaction score
I was attempting to sell a vehicle via a local paper and someone text my number saying that they were interested in buying it for their father, but that they didn't live in the same area. They suggested paying for it via paypal and then having a shipping company pick it up once payment had been sent.

Now, obviously, I have an immediate red-flag for people who are "out of town with work." But as far as I know, paypal has failsafes for this sort of thing. I've never used it to receive payment, only send it.

Thoughts from my more experienced friends on this site? Is this a safe way to do business?

I can post the whole message transcript if that'd help.

Well, I've bought long distance before and the PayPal thing worked great. I think recently the banks offer a transaction based on debit cards which seems to be more secure and less of a fee hog.

Really not much problems if he is offering to send you money, just beware if he wants to send you excess funds and return cash to him.

I wouldn't trust it. I've had the same offers. Had two in one day. Traced phone numbers to NYC and indiana or something like that. Would you buy something sight unseen? I told them to give their shipper the cash to pay for it. They told me oh the shipper won't pick it up till it's paid for. Told them as soon as their shipper hands me the cash it's paid for.

Ah, thanks for the head's up guys. Like I said, it seemed sketchy to me, but I didn't know if there was a way to work around the paypal. Disappointing.

Paypal is great for both parties and is very convenient. However, there's a 45-day window of opportunity from the date of purchase for the buyer to express dissatisfaction with the deal. It's never happened to me (knockin on wood), but it's my understanding that paypal will unilaterally and automatically withdraw the buyer's funds from the seller's account if the buyer files a dispute. Once the money changes hands that second time, there probably isn't much the seller can do to dispute it whether the claim is valid or not.

Be careful Sully. I hope you can unload the car to a good buyer. :-D

its-a-trap.jpg

It's a classic PayPal scam; buyer buys something sight-unseen, seller thinks "ah, it's all good! PP will keep me safe!" Then, before their check even has a chance to bounce (or, before the credit card they're using is reported stolen/missing/etc), they dispute it and get what they "paid" deposited directly to their account from YOUR account, regardless of whether or not the initial payment was valid. Often times, they also make off with the merchandise to boot.

PayPal has been pretty good at trying to make things right again, but unless you just want a few months' worth of headache and the lack of a few grand in your bank account, I'd say it's better to play it safe...

When buying or selling face-to-face, it's wise to do it face-to-face. ;)

Wait it out and someone locally will come around and actually kick tires and fiddle with things; THAT is the buyer you want...

- CK

The only way I would take Paypal for a car sale would be if it actually sold on Ebay and the buyer had alot of feedback to show it is not a scam. This sounds like a scam to me.

Be careful. The 1st thing, no matter how the car is paid for is...a text really?? Who the hell now-a-days buys anything significant thru texts?? Man up and dial the frickin number...That is what would get my "spidey-sense" tingling...

Be careful. The 1st thing, no matter how the car is paid for is...a text really?? Who the hell now-a-days buys anything significant thru texts?? Man up and dial the frickin number...That is what would get my "spidey-sense" tingling...

Disposeable phone, gone car and gone cash with a hacked credit card and no way to track them.

His not calling me at some point is definitely suspicious, but I've actually bought and sold several things via text or messages on this site haha.

But yeah. As the conversation went on, it became pretty obvious it was a scam. I just was double checking here because of the paypal part. Really thought paypal was a pretty safe way to do business. Seems that it's not foolproof though.

If you make it completely foolproof, someone will make a better fool. ;)

- CK

OK, sounds like you already determined it might be some kind of scam but here's an alternate way to handle payment you might consider for the future.
I bought my '69 Dart on eBay sight unseen except for the pics on eBay and telephone discussions with the seller. Payment was arranged via an escrow account. I put payment funds into the account and they were not released to the seller until I received the car and verified all was as advertised and claimed. Worked out well for both parties.

-
Back