PayPal safe?

-
Oh...you talking about paypals buyer protection screw the seller policy...lol

and Yes its a scam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim on his last email to you, right click go to properties then click details look for his IP address and Google it to see where it originated. You can also find out who their Internet service provider is.

This is good advice to a point. most people that are good scammers have also covered that avenue too. My IT guy here at the school told me it is possible to steal someone else's IP address and use it temporarily until the provider resets it, which usually happens every day. So you think you may have found where they are but in reality it is possible that they are half way around the world from where the IP address originated.

Tell him if he wants the car, have him send cashier/ banker check. Once that clears you will forward title and transportation is up to him. When I bought mine that is how I did it and used a transportation co. that he has used in the past. Prev. owner made sure he was there to load on truck and I had my car in 2 days. Or do what the rest has said CASH IS KING.

You definately need to get PayPal into this thing.

I use Paypal but don't like it. What Ebay and Paypal are up to should be illegal.

You can say that again! When eBay bought paypal and went to a paypal only format it was the begining of the end.

And I agree with everyone else here,this is obviously a scam.

Last time I had it on Ebay someone hacked into my account somehow and was offering people a buy in now for $13.5K.

I had a few people try and buy cars from me that way, usually they call the car "the item" and say they can't call you over the phone, takes a few days for them to reply each time and they only want to do the transaction with pay pal or western union money transfer, defiantly don't do it

He sent the money to PayPal and I have a email from PayPal the money is on hold.But yet there is nothing on hold or pending when I go to my PayPal account.I have to send $950 to the "shipper" before the money can be released.

LOL I guess he will be waiting along time for that $950.00.I can not believe people fall for this.....
At first I thought no big deal PayPal is like a Bank wire transfer.So I posted this question here.Then I get the email from "PayPal" to send the "shipper" $950.00 so they can release the money to me...Right! I will do that right away!

Jim

He sent the money to PayPal and I have a email from PayPal the money is on hold.But yet there is nothing on hold or pending when I go to my PayPal account.I have to send $950 to the "shipper" before the money can be released.

LOL I guess he will be waiting along time for that $950.00.I can not believe people fall for this.....
At first I thought no big deal PayPal is like a Bank wire transfer.So I posted this question here.Then I get the email from "PayPal" to send the "shipper" $950.00 so they can release the money to me...Right! I will do that right away!

Jim

Unless it is a new thing PayPal doesn't hold money for escrow situations like that. I bet that your PayPal email is a fake.

The reason he wants to send me PayPal is he is in the Military and out to sea right now.Now I got a email that the transport company only takes Western Union and he wants to send me $950.00 extra and then have me send the $950.00 to the transport company for him.Maybe I should ask if he could do a Bank wire transfer instead?Or send me a deposit Pay Pal and I will keep the car for him.

Jim
Jim: Had the same 'scheme' thrown at me a few months ago. Contact Paypal.....they have a separate department that handles this very scenario. It's part of the 'nigerian scam'. If I remember right they wanted the Western Union amount sent first to a location in Maryland, and then Paypal was 'supposed' to release the entire amount including the extra for shipping. Paypal stated that they would never agree to doing this. Ben. (MY BUYER was out to sea on scientific research and wanted to buy the truck for her father as a surprise! And 'yes' the "Paypal emails" were part of the scam......they were not sent by Paypal!))

It is a SCAM and I am pretty sure Paypal holds the money for period of time on most transactions of any amount. Hey Mike, could you forward the guy's address I could always use 150,000.00.

It is a SCAM and I am pretty sure Paypal holds the money for period of time on most transactions of any amount. Hey Mike, could you forward the guy's address I could always use 150,000.00.

PayPal only holds funds on newbies, unverified or people that have had issues before. I have never had a hold on any of my accounts.

Don't do it!!! I had a very similar story last year when I tried to sell my running with a bad frame rail 68' Dart parts car. Guy said he was a marine overseas, wanted to paypal the full amount plus shipping without ever seeing the car. Mind you, this was not an Ebay deal, I had the car posted on Craigslist. My gut instinct said not to do it. Maybe it's a common scam? I would feel slightly bad if he was telling the truth but it was not a chance I am willing to take. Sorry bud, I respect your service as a marine but you'll have to wait until you get home to find an old Dart.

He wants to have the car picked up with a shipping co.Man I do not know what to do now doesn't sound to safe.

I have sold a lot of vehicles on craigslist, and every time I post one on
Craigs or Kijiji I get contacted by two or three buyers wanting to buy
my "item" this way. This is a scam. Do you still have the item for sale?
Ask yourself - would you buy a car without looking at it? Would you send
some one else to pick it up? So they could wreck it before you even got to sit in it let alone drive it. Not a freaking chance!!!

I love pay pal but there are people out there that use it to f**k you
So beware and do not Barnom and Bailey yourself.

This is a scam. First they say an agent will pay or they are working offshore and want to pay by paypal and a shipping company will come pick the car up. If you really read the email or message several times you will see that these people have no idea what a Mopar even is. Ebay shuts them down daily so the key word is paypal and shipping company. Cash only unless you want to lose your car. I sold a car on ebay and it got so bad I would get 2 or 3 of these offers daily. I never answered any of them. The majority of them are Nigerian scammers.

Had the same kinda stuff happen to me with that van I just had for sale... They texted me... so kept texting them back for about three hours....Jacked with um for awhile....Gave me a fake name and even a facebook page of some chic in UK.... And wow all her friends were sheet heads... HMMM....

There are escrow companies to handle long distance transactions like this. They charge a fee based on value of transaction. Quick internet search will show a few well respected companies.

Hey I got this loto ticket worth $100K and I split it with you if you send me $10k for travel. Please send cash LOL.

I just read all this and man it sounds like a scam!! Out to sea and out of touch? This is like a classic scam by the book..I would have a real hard time doing any deal with this guy.

I didn't read all the posts on this thread because I'm in a hurry, so if someone else already made this point I aploogize! I sell full-time on Ebay and use PayPal daily. I have the PayPal debit card which is my primary means of shopping for daily food, meals, etc. (You use it just like a Visa or Mastercard). Except that they charge the SELLER between 1 and 3 percent, the scams are minimal and it's easy to use.

That being said, they recently started something that would be a HUGE problem for me if I didn't already claim all my business expenses: They now issue a 1099 form at the end of the year (and copy it to the IRS) listing ALL the money you've made on Paypal in that calendar year. If you are selling a 10k plus car, it's POSSIBLE that you might not want Uncle Sam getting a notice on that transaction!

I would probably expect cash on the car myself. Be careful!

-
Back