PCV---Breather or connect to air cleaner

-

GREEN DART 5

Reaction score
In one valve cover, I've got my PCV valve connected to vacuum on the back, at the base of my carburetor. But for the opposite valve cover, what would be better, a breather or connect to the air cleaner? Thanks!!!

A breather with hose to the filter bonnet will help catch "backfeed" fumes and mist that otherwise might generate smell and oily residue in the engine bay.

if it's a factory valve cover, it should already be baffled

I did my 505 that way , it acted like a vacuum leak, took it back off the air cleaner and re installed the screw in breather , plugged the breather tube , and rpms went back to normal. I aint got that figured out yet, the 426 hemi`s I had were pcv and air breather set ups from the factory .
Any theories ??????????

In one valve cover, I've got my PCV valve connected to vacuum on the back, at the base of my carburetor.
That port is for power brakes and the PVC should be moved to the front of the carb.

But for the opposite valve cover, what would be better, a breather or connect to the air cleaner? Thanks!!!
A breather period is good, better if it is to the air cleaner. As the engine develops pressure inside, along with the smoke from heated oil & the minor blow by the piston ring contamination, the breather let’s the pressure out and if it is connected to the air cleaner, a minor vacuum is introduced which will help keep the engine clean inside, help piston ring seal & not allow a breather not connected to puff out smoke and coat the engine in a film of dirty oiled drip oil on the valve covers. Which will over time collect enough to drop down on the engine making it dirtier.
The recycled and reburned smoke keeps everything cleaner. All of my engines with exception to the race only mill get this.

That port is for power brakes and the PVC should be moved to the front of the carb.

A breather period is good, better if it is to the air cleaner. As the engine develops pressure inside, along with the smoke from heated oil & the minor blow by the piston ring contamination, the breather let’s the pressure out and if it is connected to the air cleaner, a minor vacuum is introduced which will help keep the engine clean inside, help piston ring seal & not allow a breather not connected to puff out smoke and coat the engine in a film of dirty oiled drip oil on the valve covers. Which will over time collect enough to drop down on the engine making it dirtier.
The recycled and reburned smoke keeps everything cleaner. All of my engines with exception to the race only mill get this.

Thank you, I'll be attaching it to my air cleaner and get my PVC to the front of the carb.

A fast 2.0 throttle body has 2 3/8'' vacuum ports on the back of it , I have both teed together and hooked to a pcv valve .
The breather to air cleaner raised my idle like a vacuum leak , removed it and back to normal like I posted.
It doent blow smoke or puff ,never have had any amount of oil on the cover or breather to speak of, I tested w/ a gauge to the valve cover all sealed up . except for the pcv set up , and had 1'' of vacuum . Still got me stumped !

Thank you, I'll be attaching it to my air cleaner and get my PVC to the front of the carb.
I dont know if you have a choice on the BBD style carb. Looks like the only 3/8 vacuum connection is at the rear. Unless your copy is different?

It is my understanding the pcv can be connected to either the power brake or pcv port on the carb, since both are full manifold vacuum. They can not or should not be shared. So if you are not using the power brake booster - I do not see a reason on why you can not use the rear power brake port

It is my understanding the pcv can be connected to either the power brake or pcv port on the carb, since both are full manifold vacuum. They can not or should not be shared. So if you are not using the power brake booster - I do not see a reason on why you can not use the rear power brake port
Most of the power brake plumbing that I am familiar with connects the brake booster to the intake manifold and the PVC is normally connected to full manifold vacuum at the base plate of the carb.

I dont know if you have a choice on the BBD style carb. Looks like the only 3/8 vacuum connection is at the rear. Unless your copy is different?
My copy does have a 3/8 port on the front. It'll be a little tricky to keep it away from the carb return spring but it will work.

(Warning - Joke ahead...)

Technically you could hook it up to your nose and breath deep. (Something Tommy boy would say....)
:rofl:

Seriously speaking now... the front port has a constant and consistent draw on the PVC valve which has a certain specific weight believe or not. It just doesn’t properly work at the rear of the carb.

On the market somewhere, there is a highly tunable PVC valve that helps out a lot. A few members here have them and report good results to problems they never thought would happen with as or poorly operating PVC.

(Warning - Joke ahead...)

Technically you could hook it up to your nose and breath deep. (Something Tommy boy would say....)
:rofl:

Seriously speaking now... the front port has a constant and consistent draw on the PVC valve which has a certain specific weight believe or not. It just doesn’t properly work at the rear of the carb.

On the market somewhere, there is a highly tunable PVC valve that helps out a lot. A few members here have them and report good results to problems they never thought would happen with as or poorly operating PVC.

M. E. Wagner PCV valve. There is nothing else like it. Worth every cent.

On the market somewhere, there is a highly tunable PVC valve that helps out a lot. A few members here have them and report good results to problems they never thought would happen with as or poorly operating PVC

I do not doubt you, however both of these are full manifold vacuum. but you are stating that there is a difference between manifold vacuum port location, primary vs secondary?
Isn't the manifold vacuum below the throttle blades and ported above.

I believe you are referring to the me wagner pcv valve

James, no matter how you justify, word it, or scientifically sort it out in your head, out logic me, out word me, stand defiant while slandering me into oblivion, I say what ever makes you happy.

Im sure your smarter than the engineers that designed it.

Enjoy your night....

My Booster feed goes to the aftermarket intake port in the rear of the Eddy TM-6. The PCV to the front carb port, Also an "Eddy" AVS Thunder 800, " It is the same as manifold Vacuum". The breather as from the question asked from the "OP" to the Cleaner housing. it is filtered as stock but evacuated to the carb pre start, pre filter. A breather to open air that is filtered is just fine IMO! in the Factory type example as shown it pulls air from the housing unfiltered into the filtered breather.

58742900817__D69DF7EF-348B-4441-9832-9F8502AD1F79.JPG

Last edited:
rumble you are getting pretty pissy, until now i never said, stated nor implied anything about you. All I am asking is for some sort of reason why that there is a difference between the rear and front manifold ports. And if there is a difference would that change between mechanical or vacuum secondaries

My Booster feed goes to the aftermarket intake port in the rear of the Eddy TM-6. The PCV to the front carb port, Also an "Eddy" AVS Thunder 800, " It is the same as manifold Vacuum". The breather as from the question asked from the "OP" to the Cleaner housing. it is filtered as stock but evacuated to the carb, pre filter. A breather to open air that is filtered is just fine IMO!

View attachment 1715490484

Never mind

Naaaa, I’m not getting pissy.
My mood is excellent!
You just wanna come up with but but but but but...
I really don’t give 2 poops. Do what ya want to do. Say what ya wanna say, have a great night.

Remember, I know nothing.
Automotive engineering is for stupid people.
Your brilliant!
I can’t argue with you.
Your right.

Here! Enjoy a silly song!

-
Back