PCV breathers for my engine???

-

brewil

Reaction score
I realize that I need a PCV breather for my engine. I'm building a 410 LA block stroker, do I need a PCV breather on each valve cover or just on one??
Can someone please explain what I need to do?

Thanks,

B

What valve covers are ya using?

Why not set it up stock like. Pcv valve directly in the valve cover ( most of the after market covers com with a gromet to fit a gm pcv valve fv184 I believe is the number for the valve). And a breather in the other cover.

yeah, 410 stroker in process of being built. Is there any benefit to running two PCV breathers or is it overkill?

I also wanted to ask if the Alterkation and Street Lynx are adjustable to lower the cars ride height?

Guess two wouldn't hurt. You want as little crank case pressure as possible I would think.

Yes you can adjust the ride height by adjusting the coilovers on the shocks.

The factory spent a lot of time and money developing the PCV/breather system, and it works quite well. If you are looking for a wheel to reinvent, why choose that one?

But Earls are too expensive so I found one on KMJ performance for 28 bucks-billet aluminium

No need for 2! Unless your running a race scavenging system w/ breather and hose welded into the pipes....for a street car system, 1 regular PCV should be fine....and it doesnt really matter what you choose, as long as it's one you like and fits your build...

Cool sounds fine then, thanks for the info guys!

I know this is probably a dumb Q but I only had a Hemi 265 and this is my first Mopar V8, does the PCV pipe into the manifold (Air Gap)???

The PCV system sucks the fumes that build up in the crank case and returns them back into the engine to be burnt. On a V engine the pcv valve is typically on one valve cover and a breather is on the other. The breather is there to allow air back in or you could create a vacuum in the crankcase. If you don't run a pcv valve at all you can build up pressure and force oil out past the seals or breather.

Cool, so that breather is a great idea then. Does the PCV valve hose conect to the intake manifold then?

Usually the pcv valve sits in one of the valve covers. The hose from the pcv valve usually goes to the base of the carb if your carb has a port for it. If the carb has no place for it then the intake is fine.

I would use one only if that is how it was designed. I believe it circulates air from one side of the engine to the other. So usually there is an open breather on the passenger side valve cover or is connected to the air cleaner. Then the PCV valve is on the driver side valve cover and is connected to the carb/engine vacuum.

Also use the correct PCV valve so it opens with the right amount of engine vacuum.

I have a pcv on one side, and a breather on the other.
The breather lets air into the engine, so why does the factory run a hose from the breather to the air cleaner?

Ok so the PCV valve is on the passenger side and the normal breather on the drivers side-RHD for me. Just to make it tricky.

Thanks!!!

I'm sure "Ma Mopar" had great technology back 40 years ago when these engines were designed (with their restrictive oiling system etc) but I plan to use new technology where I can. I'm going with breather on one side, PCV on the other with a hose to the manifold.

Sorted mate!

I have a pcv on one side, and a breather on the other.
The breather lets air into the engine, so why does the factory run a hose from the breather to the air cleaner?

The hose to the air cleaner is so the engine gets clean filtered air.

The hose to the air cleaner is so the engine gets clean filtered air.

I must be confused.
The hose is on the outside of the air filter. The air enters the bottom of the factory unsilenced air cleaner and the hose connects to the outside, so the valve cover breather is pulling air from the space between the air filter and the air cleaner cover- before the air goes through the air filter.

-
Back