PCV breathers for my engine???

-
If that is the case than there should be a separate filter for it, the factory system is know as a closed pcv system. You can run a pcv valve and a breather type cap ( the kind that has holes in the bottom and mesh inside ) that is know as an open pcv system. Sounds like you have a GM style air filter which has the breather connected to the air filter but uses a separate mesh filter because it is before the carb air filter element.

Yes, there should be a small filter that follows the radius of the filter housing.

Its the original Mopar air cleaner, valve cover breather, and pcv.
It looks like the valve cover breather has filter material in it.
I never really thought about it, but now it doesn't seem to make sense. If the valve cover breather has a filter in it, and it is pulling air into the engine, why run a hose from that to the air cleaner cover before the air goes through the air filter, (or run a hose there at all?).

DSC04531.jpg

If the valve cover breather has a filter in it, and it is pulling air into the engine, why run a hose from that to the air cleaner cover before the air goes through the air filter, (or run a hose there at all?).

Under WOT the PCV system does not draw but crankcase pressure builds and it will then be pushed back through the crankcase vent into the air cleaner to be burned with the incoming air. If you had no hose, it would barf all over the engine and compartment. Of course a good tight engine has minimal blow by but this system was stock and made for the long term.

That's it, thank you. I think I knew that at sometime and it was replaced with something else in my tiny brain. I recently replaced my air cleaner with a K&N and there is no place to connect the hose from the breather, and it has been barfing all over all right.
Thank you FABO.

-
Back