Pedal assembly questions

-

RogerRamRod

The Older I Get, The Faster I Was
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
image.jpeg
I have a clutch pedal assembly that has been modified. Someone welded a couple pieces of metal between the two sides that bolt through the firewall. I don't know if the intent was to prevent the pedal from going further down, or to prevent the pedal stop from bending the tab upon return, if you sidestep the clutch. Hopefully my pictures will make this clearer.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Also, is the clutch pedal supposed to be welded to the pivot shaft? This doesn't look like the work of the person that welded the other things in place, but I'm not sure if it's factory either.

No, the pedal pivot shaft is not supposed to be welded and I think you are right, looks like someone didn't want the clutch to have as much travel and made a redneck pedal stop.

That "redneck pedal stop" is just a repair on the factory brace that was present on the HD pedals. There are at least two different versions of the 4 speed pedal set up, 340 cars got an "HD" version with factory gussets on the pedal brackets, the "L" bracket on the left side of your first picture is part of the factory brace. Same with the large bracket on the outside of the clutch pedal return spring, that's an HD clutch brace set up (340 cars got heavier clutch springs). The pivot shaft IS welded to the clutch pedal from the factory, although it looks like someone rewelded that one. Modifications have definitely been made to that set of pedals though.

Here's the factory HD parts highlighted with red arrows, and a factory clutch pedal...

image.jpeg

image (1).jpeg

IMG_3314.jpg

image.jpeg
Thank you for the replies. The weld on the L bracket did look a lot better than the ones on the extension/pedal stop.
Since those were taken with the clutch pedal in the down position, here is one in the returned position. This is why I didn't know if it was supposed to be a up stop, or a down stop, or both.
This assembly came out of a 69 340 swinger.

On your picture of the factory pedal, what is the small spring looking thing? My pedal does not have that.

Thank you for the replies. The weld on the L bracket did look a lot better than the ones on the extension/pedal stop.
Since those were taken with the clutch pedal in the down position, here is one in the returned position. This is why I didn't know if it was supposed to be a up stop, or a down stop, or both.
This assembly came out of a 69 340 swinger.

It's a down stop. Probably to keep the pedal from hitting the floor board or something else on the floor because of some other modification. Looks like they cut off the end of the factory bracket and added that gnarly chunk of flat stock.

On your picture of the factory pedal, what is the small spring looking thing? My pedal does not have that.

This part? It's the arm for the the factory clutch safety switch. I think it's a '71 up thing? I know the '70's had the crazy steering/shift interlock deal, and I don't think the pre-'70 cars had the clutch safety switch. I'm probably wrong about the year splits, but I know that the way the factory did the clutch safety switch was different for different model year runs.

IMG_3314.jpg

Here you go. This is the rest of what the clutch safety switch looks like (for this model year at least), as well as what the stock brace should look like.

IMG_3315.jpg

IMG_3319.jpg

Thank You for all that, it was informative and helpful. Also, thanks for all the other info you have shared in other threads.
I dig the Duston.

-
Back