pedal question

-

Darren

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
hey guys i just installed a new mcleod clutch in my 68 barracuda. it seams that the pedal wont go to the floor.in this normal? and i also removed the over centre spring. it os only a street clutch kit # 75109 thanks

Can't tell you for sure on that model but it seems odd. Is there about an inch of free travel in the pedal from the top down to where you start to feel pressure from the clutch? That would be my concern: if there is no free play at the top of the travel, then the throw out bearing is riding the clutch and fork all the time. That is not good.

Have you had someone push the clutch down and see if the fork is binding aganst the bell housing, or if the torque bar is binding? I wold sure chekc to find what is stopping the travel to see if it is of any concrn. But this does seem unusual.

i am going to look at it tomorrow. thanks guys

It would seem if everything is working right you might want to make a stop of sorts at the bottom

I would do three things; first, prove the clutch fork is properly engaging the TO bearing retaining clips,and second make sure the freeplay at the top of the stroke is about correct at about 1inch, and third,measure the plate departure.I have found that my diaphragm clutch doesnt need to be pushed to the floor to get good plate departure. And if you do push it too far at high rpm it runs the risk of over-centering.I think I used to set the departure around .040inch,IIRC. Thats why,I think,someone mentioned putting a stop(block) under the pedal;to prevent excess departure.Also make sure the anti-rattle spring is correctly installed as it now acts as the pedal return, since the assist-spring has been removed. Failure to do this may result in premature TO bearing failure.I think most or all of these were previously mentioned. I just put them all together into one post. Remember, you only need to push the pedal down far enough to disengage the drive, and to pull a normal shift. Too much more just stresses the diaphragm fingers.

-
Back