Performance oriented brake pad options

-

hal9000

Reaction score
I spent far to much time over the last few days looking for performance brake pad options. I did not see any other threads about this specific topic. I'm happy to add / edit this as I get more info or people share.

In this case I'm defining performance as track rated, or aggressive friction for autocross. Realistically though, performance is very broad and a pad you get at rock auto or amazon could be a performance pad. I'm not going to try to hard to differentiate them all at this point. I'm just trying to capture the pads that are harder to find.

Single Piston D84 (Slider) Performance Brake Pad Options
ManufacturerMakes padsNotes
HawkNo
EBCYes, Green,Yelllow and RedPN DP2678, DP4678R, DP4678R
PorterfeildNo (per website)
CarbotechYes8 compounds
FerodoNo (per website)
Power StopNo (per website)

Single Piston D39 (Pin) Performance Brake Pad Options
HawkNo
EBCYesYellow DP41176R
PorterfeildYes4 Carbon Kevlar compounds!
"AP D-39 R-4", R4-1, R4-E, R4-S
CarbotechNo
FerodoNo
Power StopNo

4 Piston D11 Performance Brake Pad Options
HawkYes5 Compounds, HB471 family
EBCYesGreen DP21157 Yellow DP41157R Red DP31157C
PorterfeildNo
CarbotechNo
FerodoNo
Power StopYesZ26-011, have to look up the ford part
WillwoodYes150-D0011K
BearYesD0011

NOTE: I recently learned that new pads which are DOT approved have to have a friction code listed on them! Which is very interesting, it potentially allows an easy option for adjusting front rear bias if you have 4 wheel disk. The Right Stuff rear disk kit, uses the GM 80's Camaro front calipers, and you can get friction coefficients between about .25 and .5 for them. Or if you want to decrease pedal effort you can get a higher coefficient of friction front pad. I only browsed images of pads on Rock Auto, I did not see any codes listed on the pictures of the old mopar stuff there though. If anyone has any real numbers from pads they purchased, I think it would be worth documenting that too here!

Last edited:
Not sure if my oem KH style pads are "performance", but I can post part # anyway if you want?
Thanks, while it would be great to have a list off all pads etc, I wanted to keep it to the stuff you would not find on an online reseller like rock auto for example. I'm happy to expand the list, and add the other two caliper types, and I'm happy to add part numbers of other compounds into one place. Your absolutely right though, I said performance in the subject, not race, or autoX, what does performance encompass? I guess it could encompass just about anything that is not an older organic style pad. There is no forum "Wiki" system for community editing and note take on a subject is there? If so, this data could be moved over there and more easily group edited.

From the EBC website about their Yellow Stuff pads The dust rating is similar to OEM parts.

I was considering these pads but don't want to be constantly cleaning the front wheels. Does anyone have experience with these pads?

Find a pair of shields, if the bc is 5x4, you will have to modify them. Back when there wasn't the selection there is today, I too got tired of the dust. I put a set of shields on and there was very little if any of the dust to deal with.

It might be nice to specify what the different "color" pads actually mean.

The last time I looked into this, I noted that ceramic pads were available for Mopar sliders but not for the pin type that I have.
I do not remember the MFG.

It might be nice to specify what the different "color" pads actually mean.

HA! I wish I knew or could distill down what the marketing material says into something succinct that I could believe in, or trust would steer someone else right, given that I think I'll let others explore it. I added the other types of factory calipers and what I think is an interesting note about new pads to the list.

I recently learned that new pads which are DOT approved have to have a friction code listed on them! Which is very interesting, it potentially allows an easy option for adjusting front rear bias if you have 4 wheel disk.
Not really. The rating system is very coarse and doesn't address subtleties of braking response. For those manufacturers participating it was supposed to provide a level of information for the technician that they shoe or pad was in the same ballpark as the originals. For extreme example one might think an FF rated lining is pretty good, but if its real grabby on initial contact then that would be a poor choice on a shoe (drum brake).

If the brakes on the vehicle are decently sized or oversize, then one can get a wider range of use out of a lining before it gets hot. In other words a street oriented pad will have a better chance of holding up in a road course type event. The one track type event I participated in didn't even get the factory 10" disks, 10x1.75" drums hot. In part thats because the way the event was run. My point is you may be able to start with something good for 'cold' and as you go along, switch the fronts, if/when you start to ge tthe fronts (or fronts and rear) above their operating temperature range.

Porterfield will put their linings on pretty much any pad or shoe you want. They also will arc the shoes. My Barracuda currently has their R4S on the D11 pads and 311 shoes. Its a good all round lining. It works OK even dead cold. While it may not be shown on line, they had the D11 pads and 311 shoes in stock. D11 pads are also used by the 'other pony car'. ;)

A few people on FABO used EBC Red D11 and wrote favorably about them. My recollection is the Green is not appropriate to our cars with steadily deacreasing bite as it gets hot, and Yellow is for hotter track use but may be harder on the disks.

Last edited:
Here's what we have for our 67 cuda factory kh.
The Napa Proform are on it now and they were pricey, i think $70-80. I bought Bendix SBC 11 and they look like junk lol

20231127_092450.jpg

20231127_092512.jpg

20231127_092556.jpg

I use Firm Feel's carbon-metalic pads, and love them. I was going to attach a link, but don't see them on their site anymore. I sent a notification to find out if they are still available.

It is my understanding that high performance pads require significant warm up time before they reach their rated friction coefficient. On the street, that can be an issue.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I'll try and digest some of it and update the chart. I had never heard of the FMSI ID system for brake parts before, and the related D11 pad type for the KH 4 piston units.

Looking around I see Pegasus (and Summit) offers a few options for the D11 pad, and if I put the PN from them into the Hawk website, they come up as valid Mopar (but not for other KH applications of the same vintage).

I found an old FMSI catalog and will look up the slider calipers and see what designator it has, I doubt it will open any doors for more pads, as they are a one brand caliper, but worth a look! This is great info, please keep it coming!

Ok, so the new FMSI catalogs dont have any data on stuff that old, and older catalogs are not easy to find online. But in piecing together some data from others Raybestos Bendix, etc catalogs it looks like the following are the 3 standard ID's we need to worry about.

D11 is the KH units. (thanks Mattax)
D39 is the Pin type units.
D84 is the slider type.

This seems to open up the pad options, in a quick check I see a crazy pad for only! ~$200 Porterfield R4-E Carbon Kevlar Endurance Brake Pad AP D-39 R4-E for the pin's... but nothing for the D84 sliders.

Porterfeild emailed me back and said they make pads for the D84, and will get there website updated.

Wilwood sells a d11 pad:
Wilwood Disc Brakes - Brake Pads for Brake Pads

So does Powerstop:
https://www.powerstop.com/product/power-stop-z26-street-warrior-brake-pads/

Baer:
https://baersport.com/Baer-Sport-Pads-D0011.html

Hawk:
https://www.hawkperformance.com/par...e=78366&model=78513&note=&search_type=vehicle

One thing to remember is that the D11 pad also fits the early Mustangs. So if it seems like slim pickens on the pads listed for your 1965-72, head over to the Ford parts.

I don't know if all of these meet the standard of track rated, but they're certainly better than the organic pads from 50+ years ago. Maybe alright for autocross, but maybe not on a track with a 120 MPH straight. For that I'd be using the high zoot EBC or Hawk stuff.

I use semi-metallic pads. Priced low and stops better than the new OEM ceramic stuff. Louder, dirtier, and chews up rotors but stops well.

Wilwood sells a d11 pad:
Wilwood Disc Brakes - Brake Pads for Brake Pads

So does Powerstop:
Z26 Extreme Performance Brake Pads | PowerStop

Baer:
https://baersport.com/Baer-Sport-Pads-D0011.html

Hawk:
https://www.hawkperformance.com/par...e=78366&model=78513&note=&search_type=vehicle

One thing to remember is that the D11 pad also fits the early Mustangs. So if it seems like slim pickens on the pads listed for your 1965-72, head over to the Ford parts.

I don't know if all of these meet the standard of track rated, but they're certainly better than the organic pads from 50+ years ago. Maybe alright for autocross, but maybe not on a track with a 120 MPH straight. For that I'd be using the high zoot EBC or Hawk stuff.

I use semi-metallic pads. Priced low and stops better than the new OEM ceramic stuff. Louder, dirtier, and chews up rotors but stops well.
They're mighty proud of um, but I tell you what, at least they're available.

S'cuder

Thanks for the info, I've added up top.

That also really great info I didn't know that Willwood had a bolt on caliper to a KH system!
As far as I know, Wilwood's bolt on calipers are only for Ford K-H brakes systems. The calipers are similar, but not interchangeable with the K-H calipers used on our A-Bodies. The pads are the same, though.

-
Back