Performance Tire for 15" Wheel?

-

JGC403

Reaction score
I have read in some other threads that going to a performance tire will make a big difference in how the car handles. But that you have to go up to a 17" wheel to get a performance tire. I can't afford new wheels right now, so are there any performance tires out there for a 15" wheel? I see BFG Radial T/As on a lot of muscle cars, they have been around forever so is there something out there better than these?

Car is going to be a daily driver, but I will be taking it down to the track often.

No offense, but you didn't answer the question...we don't know what kind of track you're talking about...drag strip, roadcourse, autocross, etc...

I'm guessing that it's going to be drag strip, but that brings up another thought. This is a daily driver? Is it a four-seasons car or reserved for nice days only?

What's going to work well on the drag strip will probably not be ideal for all-season or even wet weather.

I'm running Uniroyal all-seasons in the front of mine and Nitto NT555Rs in the rear. The rears are about shot, but are a good all-around dry tire and good enough in wet weather to get me home...

Can't I have the best of both worlds, lol.

Yea, drag strip.

But I would probably want a tire more for cornering and all season. If the weather is real bad I'll drive my Jeep. I'll just get 2 steel wheels for the rear to throw on when I go to the strip.

Well like others have said cooper cobras, bfg radial t/a's etc. tires are a compromise unless you have more than one set. How much power are you putting out? For a DD my cooper cobras are great but if you need to stick what about some drag radials out back if you really go to the strip alot. I thought the sidewall would flex real bad but even on my 4000lb dakota they weren't bad at all! Just a thought...

A dedicated pair of tires for the drag strip will work out best. I haven't really seen an all-season tire that can hook up like a slick :)

What size or sizes are you thinking for tires?

What size or sizes are you thinking for tires?

I'm not sure what will fit in the rear without rubbing anything.

I'm thinking the cooper cobra 235/60R15 if they will fit in the rear.

Also will this size fit a 9" wide wheel?

I'm not sure what will fit in the rear without rubbing anything.

I'm thinking the cooper cobra 235/60R15 if they will fit in the rear.

Also will this size fit a 9" wide wheel?

Which car? Duster's can take a 275 wide tire without modification with a 9" rim and about 4.75" of backspace. Barracuda's might need a bit more tweaking, but should fit a 275 as well.

A 235 will NOT fit on a 9" rim. You only need a 7 or 8" rim for a 235.

BFG T/A's and even Cooper Cobra's are practically hockey puck rubber compared to actual performance tires. But for a 15" rim, you won't do much better with a street legal tire in anything wider than a 235. Which is why you still see these tires on muscle cars. If their was anything else in a decent width and aspect ratio for a 15" rim, folks would realize how awful those tires really are.

Check out mickey thompson street radials. They will hook up for you. No good in the rain.

Go to tirerack.com and read up on traction and treadwear ratings.

Then factor how much of each is a good balance, and finally factor in price.

I've done fairly well with Khumo ecsta 711 (no longer made) and Hankook Ventus (can't remember spec right now) on my Dakota for handling, off the line grip, and price versus having to buy new ones too quickly. (17s can be 'spensive)

Both are directional tires, which is pretty much automatically a step in the "performance" direction.

In FL we can run "three season" tires all year, though.

You should be able to find something that will work for you in a 15, as some new cars (even sporty ones) still come with 15s from the factory.

EDIT- it IS possible to find both high traction and high treadwear in a single tire...but then price comes in...

Which car? Duster's can take a 275 wide tire without modification with a 9" rim and about 4.75" of backspace. Barracuda's might need a bit more tweaking, but should fit a 275 as well.

These are for the Duster.

Mastercraft Avenger GT...made by Cooper, its basically a Cobra without the name.

Sumitomo HTR A/S P01, 215/60 meow...

Kumho Estca 225/50, yum.

You could always drop on the Toyo Proxies RA1's.

195 50/55 and 215-225/60 is about as big as they go for selection anymore for a tire that corners worth a crap. A lot of these suggestions are more oriented towards drag cars and not corners.

Check out onlinetires.com too.

Can't I have the best of both worlds, lol.

Yea, drag strip.

But I would probably want a tire more for cornering and all season. If the weather is real bad I'll drive my Jeep. I'll just get 2 steel wheels for the rear to throw on when I go to the strip.

Best of both worlds doesnt exist in an off the shelf 15" tire. Both Toyo and Hoosier have some good DOT legal tires though.

im am a firm believer in a Michelin.best money you can spend second to none.cost more yes, were longer yes, ride better yes, handel better by far,will out were ANY by far..will back this up and anything else you'd have to prove it to me!!.....that's my 2 cents worth...................Artie if my wife can get 100,000 out of them any one can evon road racing haha!:banghead:

im am a firm believer in a Michelin.best money you can spend second to none.cost more yes, were longer yes, ride better yes, handel better by far,will out were ANY by far..will back this up and anything else you'd have to prove it to me!!.....that's my 2 cents worth...................Artie if my wife can get 100,000 out of them any one can evon road racing haha!:banghead:

Dont disagree but they dont have anything good in a 15" size. I abandoned 15's 3 years ago and havent looked back. Alot of people go with 17's but tire selection in those is getting slim to.

Good info PoisonDart...

But really...traction and treadwear...achieve balance, and all will be right in your world.

The only problem with those best of both world tires is that you sacrifice a butt load of mileage.

Im actually blown away with the wear on my RA1's in the rear of my car. 2000 miles of BB/6spd idiocy and they just now show visual wear but have 75% tread still.

I would run four different brands and sizes of no-name Chinese tires before I will give one cent to Michelin! Between their tires literally rotting off the rims, the way they reamed people stuck with their time-bomb XRV's, and their absolute CONVICTION that they have NEVER made one single bad tire, not ever!

Note: the only tire I have EVER seen come apart with no previous damage was a MICHELIN!

-
Back