Pertronix flamethrower Slant six

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
Was thinking about getting a pertronix flamethrower 1.5 ohm coil for my slant 6 i have upgraded to electronic ignition already would i see any improvements like Start up , Idle,Mileage? let me know what you guys think thanks

Probably just a little, but the cold starts will probably be the most noticeable.
Don't overlook a plug regap if it calls for it, because that will be where your biggest benefits will come from.

The biggest performance, drivability and mileage increase I ever got with my Slant 6 was from increasing the initial timing and welding up the slots a bit in the mechanical advance mechanism in the distributor to reduce the total amount of advance. I had Doug Dutra build the motor using the smaller of the two cams he spec'd.

With some experimentation, I found my motor ran best with 22 degrees initial and 32 total. I also hooked the vacuum advance to manifold vacuum, so it would retard dependent on when the throttle was opened.

It made a night and day difference, and was virtually free.

If you do get one, be careful with it. If you look at it sideways it will stop working. Don't short any of the wrong wires and make sure you have it hooked up right at all times. I don't even recall doing anything wrong to mine and it went south, but I assume I touched a wire to something somewhere I shouldn't have.

Probably just a little, but the cold starts will probably be the most noticeable.
Don't overlook a plug regap if it calls for it, because that will be where your biggest benefits will come from.

okay i can keep my ballest resistor as well correct? because im just using the coil

The pertronix was okay but I was way more impressed with the junkyard built hei for $25 and no more ballast resistor

okay i can keep my ballest resistor as well correct? because im just using the coil

I would try it both ways and if the coil didn't get hot then I'd leave it out of the equation .
But I think the OEM style ignition module needs it there, but I'm not sure about that.
(Del) 67Dart273 would be able to tell you for sure though.

The pertronix was okay but I was way more impressed with the junkyard built hei for $25 and no more ballast resistor

Uh oh, here we go again. :D

But I agree with you none the less.

If you're using the pertronix 1, get the 3 ohm coil and you can get rid of the ballast resistor.

I understand that the original Ignitor requires a normal ballast (0.5 ohm?) w/ normal coil (~1 ohm?), both resistances when cold (hard to measure so low). Instead, you can use just a "ballasted coil" (~3 ohm?). It sounds like the Flamethrower may be the later, so "should work" without a ballast. I suspect most engines don't need the "ballast bypass" feature during starting, unless in Alaska. I wired my 273 like that (temp ballast next to factory coil) until I change to a better system.

The Ignitor II is more like HEI and doesn't require a ballast. I think you are best to use an "e-core" coil with it. The Ignitor III adds multi-spark.

The Flamethrower comes in 2 primary coil resistance values: 1.5 ohm and 3 ohm. The 1.5 ohm is to be used with the ballast resistor and the 3 ohm without.

I prefer using the 1.5 ohm with the ballast; the proper ballast when cold provides more coil current and thus better spark energy on cold starts. The ballast will increase resistance when running so that its resistance plus the 1.5 ohm coil resistance is about the the same as the 3 ohm coil by itself. I warm climates it won't make much difference, but in cold climates, the low cold ballast resistance really shows up in improved cold start operation. (Perhaps the comments from middle or southern California or AZ don't see the cold start temps and issues like here in the VA mountains or maybe where the OP lives.)

The key with a ballast is to use the RIGHT ballast resistor; most folks don't realize that there are plenty of wrong ones for the Mopar system. The best I have found is the OEM ones, PN 2095501. You can find them sometimes on eBay. The MSD 0.8 ohm ballast is the next best and the BWD RU19 is 3rd best. Using any others is a crap shoot on what running (hot) resistance you will have.

-
Back