Pic I shot tonight...

-

jtolbert

Reaction score
Second attempt at lightning...

20120507-01.jpg

I'd call that more than an attempt. Great shot.

Nice Shot man. Makes me want to get out my Camera and take some shots. I love driving out west and seeing lightning like that clear across the whole sky. Amazing what God can do.

A video of lightning hitting my neighbors house. Never been that close to a lightning strike before, freakin loud as hell. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgEMYXj_YAM"]Lightning strike - YouTube[/ame]

heres a couple i caught outside my door with my lame cell phone, the lightening was coming down like rain

Attachments

• lt5.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 259
  • lt3.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 262
  • lt4.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 245
bad ***. i never have any luck shooting sky pics.. just can't figure out the proper settings.

Thanks.

I used my Canon 30D on a $30 Targus tripod, Tamron 17-50 @ 17, f/9, ten-second exposure, ISO200. Camera was set to lock up the mirror before the shot and I used a cable release.

camd64: wild. I've been in buildings that have been struck, and I was sitting in my car near a light post that got struck...Definitely loud. :)

Thanks.

I used my Canon 30D on a $30 Targus tripod, Tamron 17-50 @ 17, f/9, ten-second exposure, ISO200. Camera was set to lock up the mirror before the shot and I used a cable release.

camd64: wild. I've been in buildings that have been struck, and I was sitting in my car near a light post that got struck...Definitely loud. :)

That's the way to do 'er!!!

I had a used 30D for a short while, it was gonna be my "backup" Then I scored a massively good deal on a second used 40D and sold the 30 to a guy for what I'd paid for it --300 bucks.

Nowdays I've got two 7Ds but if my arthritis gets much worse I might as well toss the whole thing

By the way, if you decide to upgrade, I've still got both my 40Ds in nice shape. I don't need 4 bodies!!

Canon 2- 40Ds, 2- 7Ds, Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6EX, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS, Canon Canon EF 300mm f/2.8

A 40D would be a decent upgrade over my 30D, but I'm not really looking to buy right now. What were you thinking about for a price?

Thanks.

your talking over my head now...lol sure my camera can do it, its the operator that cant..lol

have a nikon d90

tri pod-check
remote- check
knowlege- nope..lol

your talking over my head now...lol sure my camera can do it, its the operator that cant..lol

have a nikon d90

tri pod-check
remote- check
knowlege- nope..lol
Ah, you can do it. Just set the camera for manual adjustment of everything---probably a big M on the control dial---and then adjust ISO, apterture (f-stop) and shutter speed to be the required values. You need a long shutter speed to increase your chances of capturing a flash/bolt. You need lower ISO settings cause lightning is damn bright and you're collecting a lot of light over a long exposure. You'll also need to pick a fairly large aperture (f-stop) cause you want a pretty wide depth of field.

Another thing...You'll need to manually focus close to infinity---I generally do this by finding a distant object, focusing the camera on that using autofocus and switching to manual focus from there---so the camera doesn't need to adjust the focus any more. Pretty much every DSLR will let you manually focus your lenses, and when you focus at close to infinity and with a larger aperture you'll stand a higher chance of getting everything in focus.

Hope that makes sense. :) It should at least get you going in the right direction. You might have to dig out your camera's manual to figure out how to change the settings, but that shouldn't be too bad.

Good luck!

jaimus: thanks. The city lights gave the clouds in that area an orange-ish, sodium-vapor-lamp coloring.

yea i have taken some pics in full manual.. usually have th eiso at about 4oo and play with th eapt anmd shutter to get it where i like, but something like lightening i would miss because i would take too long to get it set right..lol

never thought of manually focus... i'll have to play with that...

here are a couple i took last nov. in full manual .

first is the NYC skyline from my brothers deck.. second is the Brooklyn bridge..

Attachments

• DSC_0187.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC_0248.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 162
Nice shots.

The only difference between those shots and a good lightning shot is some settings and a healthy dose of luck. I was standing out in my driveway clicking away with my camera for an hour before I got that one shot. One hour for one decent shot. If you get a good storm that rolls right over you and you have a chance to shoot it from the front or rear without getting wet, or a garage you can stay in and shoot from, you can probably have a much more productive time of it than I can.

Good luck!

Damn, I love storms, makes me feel warm and cozy, small and insignificant, scared, excited, powerless and powerful all at once.....pretty much the same as dealing with a woman's scorn.

Very awesome pics!

When I loved in rural Pennsylvania we used to get some seriously intense thunder storms very extremely large and frequent lighting strikes all around our property.
You could smell the burnt smell from the lightning bolts they came so close to the house, but never hit us, thank god.

Nice shots.

The only difference between those shots and a good lightning shot is some settings and a healthy dose of luck. I was standing out in my driveway clicking away with my camera for an hour before I got that one shot. One hour for one decent shot. If you get a good storm that rolls right over you and you have a chance to shoot it from the front or rear without getting wet, or a garage you can stay in and shoot from, you can probably have a much more productive time of it than I can.

Good luck!

i'm gonna have to try it now.. haven't had good lightening like that in a while though..

Nice shots.

I was standing out in my driveway clicking away with my camera for an hour before I got that one shot.
Good luck!

That's the way I have done it. At night I setup a 15sec or 30 sec exposure, make sure the camera is facing the storm, and keep clicking. The joys of digital! Otherwise I would have used $$$ to catch possibly one and develop hundreds. Also, you have the luxury of looking at the first one you shoot, and make adjustments as needed.

Nice shot. Glad to see I'm not the only one who hunkers down in the garage with a tripod lol..

Grant

-
Back