Picked up a '66 Rambler Classic

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
I saw an ad on Craigslist for a '66 AMC Rambler Classic, straight 6, auto. It was listed for a decent price, but I managed to talk the guy into delivering it to the Island for an even cheaper price than listed. It came today, and In very impressed. I bought it sight unseen, other than receiving 50 pictures.
The guy was the 2nd owner, and he owned it 17 years, and 15 years ago parked it in indoor storage . He stripped the trim and bumpers off to paint it, and never painted it. Everything is in the trunk, in excellent condition, all properly labeled.
It's got 80,000 original miles, and it's really, really clean and rust free.

I'll post more pics as I reassemble.

Cool. Always had a soft spot for those cars. We had one in the 60s when I was a kid. It was mom's kid carrier for a while.

Thats cool! A guy who was a senior when I was a freshman had one of these with wide slots, jacked up and a tall mopar scoop on it like a snorkel but the top is shorter than the bottom. Had a 360 in it I think. This was the day when nobody fixed up a 4 door. Looks like a fun project.

My buddy had one of those for a while in high school...from what I recall, avoid doing a burnout on a dead cat - the stench hangs around the wheel wells for weeks... ;-)

My son's friend has one close to that, I think his is a 63...

Interesting vinyl roof, I don't remember it... Better for not rusting around the rear glass.

AMC 390 and a 4 speed. Jes sayin.

Interesting vinyl roof, I don't remember it... Better for not rusting around the rear glass.

That is unusual. You always pick up on the stuff nobody else really notices. What's up wif all dat, yo?

My first car a rambler.... does the front seat fold all the way down to the rear seat... mine did, made into a bed. It was a great drive in car

Looks good, Mike.
Rust free? Wow.
It definitely wasn't from the Trail area of B.C. originally.......

Well, I paid $1250 which included the delivery to my house from the mainland. I guess you could say I spent $600 on it since delivery probably was around $650.

I put most of the trim, emblems, front clip and front bumper on today. A few broken fasteners and bits of dented trim, but it's looking better.
Still need to put the rear bumper back on.

The car also came with a few AMC repair manuals, some old paperwork from the original owner, the original bill of sale, an AMC accessories manual, the warranty book with the original warranty card and a boy more.

I saw an ad on Craigslist for a '66 AMC Rambler Classic, straight 6, auto. It was listed for a decent price, but I managed to talk the guy into delivering it to the Island for an even cheaper price than listed. It came today, and In very impressed. I bought it sight unseen, other than receiving 50 pictures.
The guy was the 2nd owner, and he owned it 17 years, and 15 years ago parked it in indoor storage . He stripped the trim and bumpers off to paint it, and never painted it. Everything is in the trunk, in excellent condition, all properly labeled.
It's got 80,000 original miles, and it's really, really clean and rust free.

I'll post more pics as I reassemble.

VERY cool! Congrats. :thumbup:

The previous owner threw out the rubber floor mat, and I can't seem to find a carpet kit for it, so I used a black piece I had from a '68 Cuda. Not a perfect fit but it'll keep the road noise down for now.

After pouring tranny fluid down the cylinders, turning it over by hand, cleaning up the points, changing the fluids, and changing the condenser, it fired right up. It sounded like a sewing machine for a while but now it runs beautifully and you can hardly hear it. Everything seems to work, including all gauges and lights, except the tail lights don't work, nor do the brake lights. The signal lights work though .. Fuse?

I took it for a yard drive, the little 232 2 bbl is quite peppy! Just need to adjust the brakes and I think it's good.

That sure is a beautiful car Mike :color: You have a groovy more door American motors driver that I am sure you are going to enjoy for many years :cheers: The tail light.. did you find a ground
wire loop that stays in the truck or outside that runs along all the rear lights in the stash of parts ? could be one thing that is keeping the rear lights to work.

-
Back