picked up a new toy..

-

abodyjoe

Reaction score
just picked up a 2000 jeep cherokee. have been wanting one for a while now. sold my dual sport bike and bought the Cherokee a few days after.

plans are to build it as a nice little trail jeep and still be able to drive it 6 hours to lake placid if i want.. it wont be anything outrageous just something fun to take the family out through the jersey pines..:)

i ordered a rubicon express 3.5" lift for it. that should be here tomorrow and i'll hopefully install that in the next few weeks.. then i'll have to save for the tires. just going to put a 31x10.5 on it. should be perfect for how i want to use it..

always liked the two doors but there aren't many around this area. was surprised to stumble onto this one listed on craigslist. its a tight truck. no rattles and has tight steering and the 4.0 runs very nice even with 200k on it..
DSC_0014.jpg

this is the way i want it to sit when done.

IMG_4346a.jpg

I always liked the Cherokees. One of my friends dad's drove his two hours with us too wheeling. Drove it around the trails and took down some decent hills for a few hours then drove it home without a single problem. The two doors are getting harder to come by also. Nice find!

Great platform for 4 wheeling! The 4.0 liter is plenty powerful too. Have fun!

Real Nice !! Here's Mine

Attachments

• Htc touch pro pictures 050.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 326
always loved the pick ups.. don't see many around here plus rylee and th edogs wouldn't fit so well in one..lol

My family toy is a 2005 V6 4runner. Toytec 3 inch lift with 33" Nittos. Cool Jeep I helped my buddy lift his and it was pretty sweet. Good luck with it.

Attachments

• 2015-02-12 14.53.50.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 310
Wish they still made these rigs,...I bought my 99 brand new, It has never left me,....ever.

I bought another one January right before it started snowing in the "great Winter of 2015", It's rough, but It's only job was get me to work and home up my 1400' uphill driveway. This rig just don't care about bad weather, didn't spin a tire when in 4WD,.....hopin to sell it on CL, my wife likes it tho, so it may be a keeper...

Is it a 5-speed?
Most 2-door around here are 5-speeds.

My cousin still has his 4-door 4.0 auto he bought new, the sob will not die.

I have an 03 wrangler with 76K miles on it 4.0 5-speed, have owned the old girl since almost new, I have only changed the battery, tires, shocks, heater resistor and front brakes.
Damn thing is reliable as a hammer. AC still blows cold and has never been charged, not added a ounce of radiator fluid since I bought it. It had 20K on it when I purchased it.

I remember watching those go down the assy line...

My son has one also.

Is it a 5-speed?
Most 2-door around here are 5-speeds.

My cousin still has his 4-door 4.0 auto he bought new, the sob will not die.

I have an 03 wrangler with 76K miles on it 4.0 5-speed, have owned the old girl since almost new, I have only changed the battery, tires, shocks, heater resistor and front brakes.
Damn thing is reliable as a hammer. AC still blows cold and has never been charged, not added a ounce of radiator fluid since I bought it. It had 20K on it when I purchased it.

no its an automatic.. most two doors i see are sticks also though..

Good work.

Here is my '92 5spd as it currently sits;

DavesJeep_zpsd7971717.jpeg

I'm not going to do any lift work to it, but I think I am going to rebuild the suspension this summer and do a few mods.

The OBD1 rigs do good with the IAT moved up to the air box from the intake and PT Cruiser electric fans.

If yours doesn't already have it, the ones with the 2nd gen Chrysler injection and manifold (same gen as yours) look for the recall insulation on the intake. They had a fuel coking problem. Dealership will give you the die cut insulation that goes on the intake, or you can play around with the rail and sleeve it. I'd do both if I had that injection setup. Mine has the 1st gen Chrysler inj., though.

If yours doesn't already have it, the ones with the 2nd gen Chrysler injection and manifold (same gen as yours) look for the recall insulation on the intake. They had a fuel coking problem. Dealership will give you the die cut insulation that goes on the intake, or you can play around with the rail and sleeve it

so what exactly should be insulated? didn't know about that.. thanks for the info..

Check the brake lines! They rust through. Happens a lot to those cars. Not all, but just check 'em. I fixed several late '90s-early '00s when I was a Jeep tech.

The front to rear lines on our old '01 actually rotted out. One night my wife came home from work and got in the car at the train station - foot to the floor, no brakes. So she calls me to come pick her up and when I get there there's a big puddle of brake fluid under the car. Lucky it didn't happen while she was driving...

I hate when that happens while driving!

Check the rear side windows for leakage. It gets down in he insulation and may smell musty but then starts the cancer in the back.
That is a clean looking jeep. Command trac or selectrac?

Good work.

Here is my '92 5spd as it currently sits;

DavesJeep_zpsd7971717.jpeg

I'm not going to do any lift work to it, but I think I am going to rebuild the suspension this summer and do a few mods.

The OBD1 rigs do good with the IAT moved up to the air box from the intake and PT Cruiser electric fans.

If yours doesn't already have it, the ones with the 2nd gen Chrysler injection and manifold (same gen as yours) look for the recall insulation on the intake. They had a fuel coking problem. Dealership will give you the die cut insulation that goes on the intake, or you can play around with the rail and sleeve it. I'd do both if I had that injection setup. Mine has the 1st gen Chrysler inj., though.
Love the earlier two door models like this,they are priceless at the beach.

one of my coworkers has one with the 4.0, a few inches lift and big tires

I thought he was in front of me coming home last night so I hurried up and pulled in beside him at the light

looked over and it wasn't him so when the light turned green I tried to outrun him
it stayed right along side my little winter beater

not bad considering that's a 08 charger with the 3.5 in it

Nice Jeep! Congrats on the new toy. We used to have a 95 green Cherokee with the 4.0L. Sold it a couple of years ago. Man!! I am now looking for a clean one to buy. Those are really good all-around vehicles

-
Back