Picking an Exhaust and Mufflers

-

MuuMuu101

Reaction score
Hey guys, so work is being conducted on my '68 Dart. The drivetrain that's going in is a 360 engine with a Paxton Supercharger, a T56 manual transmission, and TTI shorty headers. I have a couple questions...

1) Has anyone fit TTI's exhaust on an A-body with a T56?
2) Are there any other good muffler options besides the Dynomax Super Turbo's? Don't get me wrong, I like the sound, but I'm curious as to what else is out there. The shop working on my Dart has a connection with Magnaflow's if that's a good option?
3) H or X? I know... loaded question.

The car will be used primarily for autocrossing but will have its fair share of driving to cruises and events. I'm looking for something that will be bearable inside the car so that if I had a passenger we would be able to have a somewhat normal conversation without yelling at each other, but a nice roar at WOT or when you start to get on the pedal. The car should have quite above 400 at the crank so I'm thinking a 3" exhaust may be needed. I've listened to all the sound clips in the sound clip thread and I'm not particularly a fan of Flowmasters.

Thanks for all your help! :blob:

I have the Dynomax welded stainless straight through mufflers and an H pipe on mine and they don't drone but are loud at 2700 or above. If I had it to do over would go with magnaflow...

I've been listening to some more sound clips on youtube and Magnaflow's don't sound half bad...

Check out xcelerator mufflers nicely made and I just installed them on my dart with a 360 and dynomax headers. They are off brand mangaflow apparently, but sound great!

Just put on tti 3" exhaust with dynomax ultra flows on 340 duster.No drone, quite inside car when driving.Sounds good at full throttle.Good for driving and still can listen to radio.

The TTI system will surely fit.

I run Borlas.

X or H... the transmission will have an impact on that choice. I would call TTI. I have a GVOD and you can only run an H. If you can run either go with the X pipe.

Which Borla mufflers do you recommend? The XR-1's? Are they loud inside the cabin?

x pipe with spintechs

My buddy made his own exhaust for an LS swapped Holden Torana (think Aussie road racing Vega) and did this with a side exit exhaust spintech muffler. I haven't heard it run in a couple years but from what I remember it was a pretty good sounding combo. I've just heard things get louder doing side exit.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aShkO8upPBA"]Australian Holden LX Torana LS1 running here in California latest updates - YouTube[/ame]

I just put x pipe with mac flowpaths, its different but a cool diff, real deep idle and a keen sound turning up bujt not loud , didn hurt power either:blob:

Which Borla mufflers do you recommend? The XR-1's? Are they loud inside the cabin?

I run the XR-1's. You can't lose with borla. Just stay away from any chambered type muffler. They impede flow and are very loud and drone inside.

looks like a borla is glorified glasspack - same as dynomax, magnaflow, etc.....nothing wrong with that, but those still are some expensive glasspacks....

Borlas do look like a glorified glasspack, but somehow they get them to sound good and last a long time. A friend in Houston had a Fury with a 408 and Flowmasters. A nice car but it sounded like a rattle can. He got tired of the sound and put on Borla ProXSs and I could not believe how nice it sounded. When I got home I ordered up Borlas for my car. They've got a nice deep rumble at cruise, not too loud, but really produce a nice deep roar when you hit go.

Borlas do look like a glorified glasspack, but somehow they get them to sound good and last a long time. A friend in Houston had a Fury with a 408 and Flowmasters. A nice car but it sounded like a rattle can. He got tired of the sound and put on Borla XR1s and I could not believe how nice it sounded. When I got home I ordered up Borlas for my car. They've got a nice deep rumble at cruise, not too loud, but really produce a nice deep roar when you hit go.

x2

There is more to Borla than a glorified glass pack. Not to mention they are SS with a lifetime guarantee.

As for the H pipe vs the X pipe summit racing has an awesome video on YouTube about it. Since you are running a pretty good amount of power I'd go with an X-pipe. But you can watch it and see for yourself if you like. Hope it helps!

[ame]https://youtu.be/Y0Va3sDhqwI[/ame]

Not sure if this fits exactly, but I'm running a Borla stainless exhaust and header on my 87 Wrangler -6. She's been over the mountains and through the woods. Water crossings, mud holes and northern winters. I installed it in 1999 it's still intact and sounding great.

x2

There is more to Borla than a glorified glass pack. Not to mention they are SS with a lifetime guarantee.

borla uses higher quality materials, but it's still a perforated tube running thru some sound absorbing material, otherwise known as a glasspack.

I have Magnaflows on my Mazdaspeed6, they sound good. I have Dynomax round ultraflows on my F-150 and had oval ones on a Mustang, they worked well and are quiet.

Had Flowmasters Delta flows on my truck, they were too loud.

I went with tti 2.5 exhaust on the 340 sounded mean as hell and did not drone on the highway. The local Chevy neighbourhood loved the sound with the ultra flows.

I run the Borla XR-1s, 2.5" with full exhaust out the back no drone in the car and they sound great so I'm told.

Sweet, I always liked the sound of Borlas. My only gripe is whether or not a TTI exhaust is going to clear the T56 that we're planning on putting in there.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2eIyHhUcak"]Borla XR-1 Mufflers Soundclip - YouTube[/ame]

The borla Xr1 sounds great. I am currently shopping for the right muffler as well. Can't seem to make up my mind.

I don't remember where I read the article. But somebody did a dyno test between H pipe and X pipe and the H actually made more torque. As for the 3 inch exhaust, that's overkill. Unless of course it's a single. If your going duals I don't recommend going above 2 1/2 inch. I know I'm gonna hear it from some guys, but everyone always Over carbs, Over cams, and Oversizes their exhaust. Bigger isn't always better. As for mufflers, I like the turbo style muffler. It's not very loud unless you romp on it. I always thought they sounded better than a chambered muffler anyway. But I haven't used but a few manufacturers for mufflers so I wouldn't really be able to recommend a specific brand.

-
Back