Pics of my 65 Barracuda just purchased

-

BillaCuda

Big Time
Reaction score
Somehow I lucked out and found this beauty for an amazing price in a retirement community. Everything is original.

She has some electrical issues and engine problems, but the price could not be turned down. She has no rust on the frame or body.

These are the pics of when I went to pick her up.

Since, I have added new Cragar S/S wheels and tires, rebuilt the 2 barrel Carter Carb and I have been working on the speedo.

Funny thing happened today while test driving her. Speedo needle cracked right off. Age really is the pits.

Enjoy the pics and feedback and ideas are most definitely welcome.

Attachments

• cuda1.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 458
  • cuda2.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 448
  • cuda3.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 447
  • cuda4.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 457
  • cuda5.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 433
  • cuda6.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 448
  • cuda7.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 438
  • cuda8.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 424
  • cuda9.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 454
  • cuda10.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 452
ok how much? now that you have our atention!!!
good looking

Do we want the exact price? HA!! I feel kinda bad posting how cheap it was. The man and lady I got it from made me promise not to part her out. When I saw her, there was no way. She's going to be my daily driver.

I like it!!! I would do a little to at at a time and still be able to drive it, or concentrate on the items that are keeping it from driving. Some fresh carpet would really make the interior pop, and if it were mine I would get the original front door panels, those look a little out of place. Good luck with it, it sure looks solid!!! And welcome to FABO too!! Geof

Congratulations, you can tell it was taken care of. Let the obsession begin!

The man and lady I got it from made me promise not to part her out. When I saw her, there was no way. She's going to be my daily driver.
good for them and good for you :thumblef:

Nice find, congratulations! Glad to see them still available, and the right people getting them.

That one is almost exactly like my high school car in 67, except mine was a 273-2 four speed. Same color combo though!

SWEET FIND!!! And welcome to FABO from SoCal. You're going to have fun here.

Nice catch - I would do backflips for red door panels, armrests, dashpad and visors in that kind of shape!!!!!

Welcome to the site. They were worried someone would part it out? Yeesh, that's way to nice to even think about parting. And you even got a console, nice find.

Thanks everyone. So, I'm working on getting the engine and electrical fixed. It's nothing major, but want to make sure she's good for the road. As I said earlier, I have Cragar SS rims to put on the car.

Question... Should I start with the carpet or seats or paint? My budget to put into her is $500-750 a month. Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated.

Question... Should I start with the carpet or seats or paint? My budget to put into her is $500-750 a month. Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated.
put the first 2 months in the bank for the inevitable, yet unexpected break down. that will also give you time to live with it awhile and see what you REALLY want to work on first

Kursplat has given good advice. Drive it for a while and see what it NEEDS, and then when you've got that part of it squared away, get what you WANT for it.

Welcome to FABO!Nice find and cheap to boot.I would do a thorough tune-up and replace any rubber lines,check brakes.Once winter comes,I,d pull the engine and freshen up under the hood.Thats just me though.Enjoy!

So I got bad news guys and gals... My compression test failed today. I have the original 273 in there and I am at a crossroad. If I am ever going to swap the engine out and go with something different, now is the time. Please, let me know what you would do. Assuming you were working on a budget. Would you rebuild the 273 or go with something different? I would like to be able to take trips with her.

What kind of pricing do you think I'm facing. I have heard a lot about a swap for a 318. Would I be able to link up to the original tranny with no problem?

Whats a reasonable budget to go in with?

Thanks for help in advance

Bill

Just wanted to say welcome to the site. I'll leave it to the others to advise you about the engine. I have my hands full trying to work out what to do on my own cars (ha,ha). But good luck with it, it looks great (love the colour combo).
Gary

I would look around and find a decent used 318, install it and keep the original 273 that can be rebuilt when you have the resources to do so.

You should able to get a worn out 318 for very little, but if you look around you can find a deal on a decent 318 someone is removing from a car to replace with a larger engine (340, 360, 383, 440, etc). I bought one from a 1971 Satellite for $150! Car was a grandma car with 75K miles! Second owner wanted to replace with a built 360, he needed money to complete the project. I got to drive the car with the engine installed before it was removed and had to wait several monthsl fior him to get around to removing it, but it was a great price on a decent engine. Going to install in ny 67 barracuda for street use.

So I got bad news guys and gals... My compression test failed today. I have the original 273 in there and I am at a crossroad. If I am ever going to swap the engine out and go with something different, now is the time. Please, let me know what you would do. Assuming you were working on a budget. Would you rebuild the 273 or go with something different? I would like to be able to take trips with her.

What kind of pricing do you think I'm facing. I have heard a lot about a swap for a 318. Would I be able to link up to the original tranny with no problem?

Bill

Did your compression test indicate it was rings or valves ?

If it just valves fix it, you don't have to pull the engine and it shouldn't cost that much.

By the way I saw someone trying to sell that steering wheel on ebay for $300 and $1,000.

Bill

Welcome Bill, That is a nice car. I would keep it original. Rebuild the 273. In the long run you will get back more for your money spent, if you ever sale it. The cost for a rebuilt is about 1200 to 1500. It depends on if you work on it or someone else does. Good Luck!

Welcome aboard this great site :thumrigh: Wowza!! That is a #1 A body you have there :love10:
I would pull the intake and heads and go though them.... I like the little 273 and while the heads are off do a detail under the hood :thumrigh:
Dive it and put some cash back is a great idea, if she has been setting I would drive it and watch it come back alive :smile:
Do a complete service on the drive train and take some short 30 mile trips in it
Very cool ride :glasses2:

-
Back