Pieces of steel in cylinder??

-
If that has the '71 single plane two barrel manifold it would scatter debris of any kind through the engine almost immediately. Ditto on that one chamber looking like it had a replacement exhaust valve seat.

If you can feel those scratches in the cylinders, the cylinder finish is done for. It must be bored. That's a real shame. It looked in good condition otherwise. I disagree it's foul play. That single exhaust valve sits far too low. That seat has fallen out, which makes it more of a shame, because there is a machine shop out there that does not know how to properly install valve seats.

Last edited:
FWIW, the consistency of the little pieces steers me to an outside source as opposed to an internal part that broke up!

Read post # 12 again, if an exhaust seat is missing, that explains where the Metal shrapnel came from.
It is common for debris in an engine to move from cylinder to cylinder.

I had a carb baseplate screw backout during breakin and migrate from cylinder to cylinder.

Looked similar to those pieces afterwards.

I think it was a seat

Read post # 12 again, if an exhaust seat is missing, that explains where the Metal shrapnel came from.
It is common for debris in an engine to move from cylinder to cylinder.

I don't know how I missed #12 last night, but that sounds like a good theory. I think the #7 exhaust valve (really all valves) will need some attention.

If its a 71 318 it wouldnt have hardened seats unless someone put them in.

The engine's got about 3,000 miles after a rebuild. The previous owner had a shop rebuild it just before I bought it. Maybe they replaced the stock seats with hardened steel seats??

So, obviously the heads need to be gone through, but I'm wondering exactly what to do about the cylinders. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do this, but I'm thinking the pistons need to come out. Do you guys think I need to pull the block and have the cylinders machined? The walls are pretty smooth, can still see the hashmarks from being bored, but you can also barely see (and feel) tiny tiny pits from those dang pieces of steel.

[Edit]
RustyRatRod - I didn't see your comment until just now about having the cylinder bored. Gosh dangit!!! Oh well, gotta do it right...

Last edited:
If that has the '71 single plane two barrel manifold it would scatter debris of any kind through the engine almost immediately. Ditto on that one chamber looking like it had a replacement exhaust valve seat.

It sure does have the '71 2bbl single plane manifold.

Yeah those cylinders look pretty tough. All about trying to save the short block when you can.

Can take a little WD-40 and a Scotch Brite pad by hand inside one of those cylinders and see what cleans up and what is left behind. Wipe it up with a paper towel quick so it does not run down into the rings.

The biggest killer is what steel got down into the ring grooves, almost impossible to get that rinsed out of there, and it is going to be the hardened steel from the seat exploding.

Wish there was better news, you know what you got to do.

If you are considering pulling it and rebuilding it, it's a 318, maybe just let it go. Go find a 5.9 magnum and swap it in. Almost everything will just bolt up, especially if you change the front end parts. Add an electric fuel pump and BAM, 14 second car :) You'd be surprised at how good of shape a magnum will be in with over 100k miles on it. Might be worth a look.

On the top of my head, you'd need ...

intake
carb
oil pan
electric fuel pump
maybe some odds and ends.

The rest should work off of your existing paper weight.

Nice time to clean up the bores and put the 318, Closed Chamber 302 heads on there. Everthing will bolt up to those.

Now you will really have something. You will enjoy it along with good performance.

Blessing in Disguise . . .

1020161100.jpg

Wait a second....I thought this was gonna be a CHEAP hobby!!! :rofl:

Actually the 302 heads shipped out from Rockauto are only 450.00 total, no cores. About the price of a valve job today, and you get great heads.

They are gearing up for the next run of 302 heads. 86-89 D100 318 Heads, 100% Reman Job, even have a 1 year guarantee on them as long as you don't overheat them and burn the button off the head and void the warranty. Submit your email to them when you look them up and let them know your interested, no commit to buy. The more demand the sooner they get them back in production.

318 5.jpg

First thing...get those heads to a good machine shop. See what you have to work with.

IF you have the cash rebuild the short block. If it were me I'd repair those heads and drive it. Might have a bit of blue smoke...maybe not. Drive the car and enjoy it for a year or so.

I bought an F1 Ford pickup 15 years ago. Had a '55 Buick engine that was seized.
Pulled one head and found a broken valve imbedded in the piston and jammed into the head.

I had a head in stock, had Egge build one piston for me and I screwed it back together. That truck still runs today...I see the owner at a few car shows every year. Never did anymore to the engine other than oil changes.

Cars are like women...they don't have to be perfect to be fun.

You see how this blemish goes all the way up to the top of the ring travel? And it's not on a thrust face? And it's not the same width as a wrist pin nor in the correct location?
IDK what that is but I'd be taking a look-see; and if the engine is gonna be that far apart...... for me it's coming out and ALL the way apart. Besides with what appears like a lot of ridge for just 3000 miles on it....... accompanied by that much valve recession... I'm doubting either the skill level of the previous builder, or the veracity of the build at all.

8wlnrg7rqvojnzmwrk9ufw-jpg.jpg

The biggest killer is what steel got down into the ring grooves, almost impossible to get that rinsed out of there, and it is going to be the hardened steel from the seat exploding.
Yes, that area of scoring down the cylinder wall that is beside a piston pin is unusual, and is 99.99% likely caused by steel crud getting down in the groove between the piston and cylinder wall and scoring it.

You see how this blemish goes all the way up to the top of the ring travel? And it's not on a thrust face? And it's not the same width as a wrist pin nor in the correct location?
IDK what that is but I'd be taking a look-see; and if the engine is gonna be that far apart...... for me it's coming out and ALL the way apart. Besides with what appears like a lot of ridge for just 3000 miles on it....... accompanied by that much valve recession... I'm doubting either the skill level of the previous builder, or the veracity of the build at all.

View attachment 1715383300
I agree...that engine has a ton of miles on it. That 3k rebuild story he told the op should have started with "once upon a time"

I agree...that engine has a ton of miles on it. That 3k rebuild story he told the op should have started with "once upon a time"

Yes sounds like a typical craigslist sale, everyone is lying until they prove themselves otherwise. They just want to turn whatever they have for sale into cash, and lying to you about it is all part of their game.

Yeah It's been all rebuilt . . . As If ????

This isn't a piss on the 318 thread. Yall can go somewhere else. This guy probably needs to salvage what he has.

I don't think so; it will probably leave a blue smoke-trail everywhere it goes, and when the oil level gets low, the first WOT run will cook a driver's side rod bearing, if it doesn't detonate the skirts off first.

This isn't a piss on the 318 thread. Yall can go somewhere else. This guy probably needs to salvage what he has.

You're not wrong, but that motor might be toast. He needs to dig into it and find out before spending a bunch of money that might otherwise go to a "possibly" more cost effective solution.

-
Back