Pin on calipers vs 72 Duster lower control arms

-

tnts72

Reaction score
Wondering if I didn't get the wrong calipers compliments of Rock Auto. As you can see in the pictures the lower section of the caliper is contacting the ear of the control arm by the lower shock mount when turning left. I would rather get them swapped out for the correct ones vs cutting an tab out of the control arms... Ideas? I know the sliding calipers that came off these spindles are a little different profile - line enters the rear of the body not the bottom.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 259
Does it do the same with the calipers mounted ahead of the spindle? Do you have that option? Are your spindles swapped side to side?

I haven't tried swapping them side to side, this is the first one I tried putting together. I would like to keep the calipers to the rear so the brake lines will work... Wondering what cars came with a pin on caliper and a hose that enters the back of the caliper body vs the bottom. Similar to the sliding type calipers.

EDIT "pin" didn't notice What are the spindle / brackets / calipers "sposed" to be off of?

I haven't tried swapping them side to side, this is the first one I tried putting together. I would like to keep the calipers to the rear so the brake lines will work... Wondering what cars came with a pin on caliper and a hose that enters the back of the caliper body vs the bottom. Similar to the sliding type calipers.

Many of those banjo fittings will mount either direction as far as the hoses go..... Just flip it.

Those Pin Type calipers that you have with the fitting at that location, don't work.
They appear to be 73 and up B body calipers, and other mid 70's body styles.
You really need to use calipers that are off 70-74 E Bodys, and 70-72 B bodys, with the hose location in a different position on those calipers.
If you do use B, E, calipers as described above, they will require the appropriate hose, also.

I wanted the pin on version, I know the sliders work ok and there are millions out there doing a fine job. Just personal preference really. Thank you hemi I will look up some pre 73 b or the e body calipers. Would rather not notch the control arms

Spindles are off an 80 diplomat, caliper brackets are off a 73 satellite - hoping the 72 b body calipers are the same distance bolt to bołt. Have to check my brake pad numbers. Feel like Johnny Cash - one piece at a time building this frankenduster. Quite the odd brake hose on the 72 B bodies

Attachments

• image.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 194
Also, FYI.
The factory hose is for use with the calipers mounted towards the FRONT, in the stock location.
If you have them, want them, rear mounted, i can't tell you what hose guys use for that type of usage.

Swapping the spindles and running the calipers up front isn't a problem as long as the new hoses work with the frame tab for the hard line being behind the control arm.

Here's the way I do it. I use 73 and up A or E body spindles, and mount the calipers towards the front. I usually swap to the 11.75 rotors, and because I too prefer pin type calipers, I use caliper brackets from a Cordoba/Magnum/etc. I buy calipers for a 73-74 E body, and hoses to match. The junk doesn't know what car it's on.....it only does it's job to stop said car. The hose runs behind the shock, and back to the hose/hard line bracket that is still in it's factory location. All of the above works great with newer style sway bars that run thru the k frame, or works on a car with no sway bar at all. I always use 73 & up lower control arms and a 73 up k frame on A bodies, again, because that is what I prefer. If you plan to run a sway bar that hangs off the bottom of the k frame, no matter if it's on an A or B body....mounting the calipers towards the front will cause the sway bar links to interfere with the calipers. Hemi71X knows this stuff inside-outside-upside down :prayer: so he may be able to recommend a fix for the caliper vs. sway bar tab if you're running a factory 72 Duster sway bar. Good luck. :)

No sway bar plans yet, that was also part of my thinking in running the calipers towards the rear. If I wanted to add the sway bar later I could.

If anyone needs a set of 73+ pin on calipers let me know, otherwise they are going on Ebay. No sense in shipping them back to California warehouse.

Spindles swapped / brakes are on, ran hoses in front of the shocks vs going behind. Thanks fellas

-
Back