pinion seal replacement help

-

moparman1

Reaction score
my son went and changed my pinion seal with out asking first. problem is he didnt check torque or mark itor count the number of threads. now it leaks worst then ever. what can I do.

What rearend do you have? Most have crush sleeves and you can't replace the pinion seal without messing up the gear pattern. The 8-3/4 rear with a 742 case has a solid spacer and I think the 741 does also but not sure on that one. If you have one your lucky. Other than the leak which could be caused by a worn spot on the yoke where the seal rides. In that case either the yoke should have been replaced or a speedy sleeve installed.

What rearend do you have? Most have crush sleeves and you can't replace the pinion seal without messing up the gear pattern. The 8-3/4 rear with a 742 case has a solid spacer and I think the 741 does also but not sure on that one. If you have one your lucky. Other than the leak which could be caused by a worn spot on the yoke where the seal rides. In that case either the yoke should have been replaced or a speedy sleeve installed.

ok thanks, will check it out today

Here is where I place my bet... Either the seal was bent / damaged when he knocked it in or pinion shaft bearings are bad. If the axles are free to turn you can impact the nut tight enough to hold without changing the crush collar setting enough to cause a problem.

Here is where I place my bet... Either the seal was bent / damaged when he knocked it in or pinion shaft bearings are bad. If the axles are free to turn you can impact the nut tight enough to hold without changing the crush collar setting enough to cause a problem.

what would you torque it at.

what would you torque it at.
Thats the thing I wouldn't troque it. You would need the axles locked down to do that. I'd put a dab of locktite on the threads and let the impact snug it up to the point where its driving the axles. I dont do extensive "by the book" service all the time. Warrenty service at a dealership etc.. requires such but to fix my own doesn't.
A service manual would have you drop an oil pan to remove a broken piece of dip stick tube from the block too but there are easier ways to do certain jobs.

Thats the thing I wouldn't troque it. You would need the axles locked down to do that. I'd put a dab of locktite on the threads and let the impact snug it up to the point where its driving the axles. I dont do extensive "by the book" service all the time. Warrenty service at a dealership etc.. requires such but to fix my own doesn't.
A service manual would have you drop an oil pan to remove a broken piece of dip stick tube from the block too but there are easier ways to do certain jobs.

ok thanks

-
Back