PISHTAS turbo build

-
i can spin my 235/60/15's on dry pavement at a 35-40mph roll in 2nd gear. just a few more psi and ill be able to do it in 3rd at 55-whatever mph. lol.

But you didn't just add boost Bill, a free flowing exhaust (especially with your header) an intake and big four barrel, a cam, increased compression, and a ton of lightening has also helped. A slant six with these mods won't feel to lethargic at all, and then you crammed almost 70% more atmosphere into it.

If you were to use an example of just adding 10psi to an engine, Serj's would be a better example.

why do you bother coming in this section of the forum if all you are going to do is troll?

fwiw i had a hyper pac, holley 4bbl, headers (open) and a cam and my car was still slow as crap. granted it was faster then the stock setup but not by much. thats why i went with the turbo. not one single regret, not even a smidgen. its freakin fantastic to be able to just hit the gas and leave any and everything on the road behind.

But you didn't just add boost Bill, a free flowing exhaust (especially with your header) an intake and big four barrel, a cam, increased compression, and a ton of lightening has also helped. A slant six with these mods won't feel to lethargic at all, and then you crammed almost 70% more atmosphere into it.

If you were to use an example of just adding 10psi to an engine, Serj's would be a better example.

Here is a copy of what I wrote: "A stock, non-boosted slant six A-body is a lethargic, un-inspired, dangerously slow, vehicle that can barely get out of its own way, much less, someone else's."

Granted, I went on to compare my engine with boost, to a non-boosted one, but I thought the idea was clear; Boost transforms this non-breathing, asthmatic, would-be air pump into something quite different.

'Nuff sed...:glasses7:

True; and that is the example I should have used, because it demonstrates exactly the same thing. Ask Serj how it runs, compared with before..

FAN-TASTICALLY! 3,000 happy miles and counting on this setup. 18-20mpg and that silent wooosh whenever you want to pass a car on the freeway with effortless light pedal tapping.

I had done the supersix total modification beforehand and rebuilt the entire head with new valves, seats, springs, everything, and it was kind of faster than before but Priuses were passing me up and I could do nothing about it - couldn't even catch up and I am dead serious about that. I had to mash to pedal to try to get to freeway speed even. I put a muffler back on it previously because the motor worked so hard it sounded like I was making all kinds of power but wasn't going anywhere. lol.

Brandon is out resident turbo non-believer. He's just stating how he feels about the whole thing, which is fine - but I feel like he hasn't tried it, or been near it. Someone go give him a ride with their turbo slant and show him there's a reason to do it, otherwise he won't be swayed.

It's either that, or Brandon was up really late building the fastest turbo slant block the world had ever seen. He had shelled thousands into it, and had it on the chains ready to go in the car, when suddenly DISASTER STRUCK! and lightning struck the engine hoist, and broke the chains, when the block fell and crushed his cat. He was devastated and burried the block and cat in the backyard with a tombstone of plywood that says "never forget" and swore revenge on the turbo slant. To this day he has been scouring thousands of posts to tell people that they can get 200hp out of N/A modifications, just to save them from the similar heartache that he felt.... on that fateful day...

FAN-TASTICALLY! 3,000 happy miles and counting on this setup. 18-20mpg and that silent wooosh whenever you want to pass a car on the freeway with effortless light pedal tapping.

I had done the supersix total modification beforehand and rebuilt the entire head with new valves, seats, springs, everything, and it was kind of faster than before but Priuses were passing me up and I could do nothing about it - couldn't even catch up and I am dead serious about that. I had to mash to pedal to try to get to freeway speed even. I put a muffler back on it previously because the motor worked so hard it sounded like I was making all kinds of power but wasn't going anywhere. lol.

Brandon is out resident turbo non-believer. He's just stating how he feels about the whole thing, which is fine - but I feel like he hasn't tried it, or been near it. Someone go give him a ride with their turbo slant and show him there's a reason to do it, otherwise he won't be swayed.

It's either that, or Brandon was up really late building the fastest turbo slant block the world had ever seen. He had shelled thousands into it, and had it on the chains ready to go in the car, when suddenly DISASTER STRUCK! and lightning struck the engine hoist, and broke the chains, when the block fell and crushed his cat. He was devastated and burried the block and cat in the backyard with a tombstone of plywood that says "never forget" and swore revenge on the turbo slant. To this day he has been scouring thousands of posts to tell people that they can get 200hp out of N/A modifications, just to save them from the similar heartache that he felt.... on that fateful day...

Serj, have you ever thought of a career in creative writing? I don't know what you're smoking, but I want some....:toothy1:

either will work well. one of the pioneers of the turbo slant ran a 4bbl with the secondaries disconnected for tuning and still managed to turn a 12 second quarter mile.

resident turbo non-believer. He's just stating how he feels about the whole thing, which is fine - but I feel like he hasn't tried it, or been near it. Someone go give him a ride with their turbo slant and show him there's a reason to do it, otherwise he won't be swayed.

:twisted::D:burnout::cheers:
That was hilarious~!

There's more than one way to cross a finish line or pickup the grocieries.
This Dart o mine will have a Turbo :burnout:

Mike

This surprises me. I thought the choke removed would have dropped it down to 15-17, but maybe the fact that your intake and exhaust still bolt together is helping this? and probably your exhaust is a bit hotter under the intake from turbo backpressure?I dunno, no matter though, that's great. What kind of mileage were you getting before? I bet EFI would make it even better :evil3:

Yeah, that's bad lol sounds similar to my worn out stock one that I pulled. Although mine had straight Lucas for oil, and awful compression, which is why I always figured it was down in power. Although, other than the supersix (I can't remember, did you run 2.25 exhaust and supersix distributor as well?) you had a stock engine. At best you had a stock supersix.

Non-believer? It's not that I don't believe per say, just I personally wouldn't build a carbed 225 turbo, and for multiple reasons. I also don't believe that they are for everyone. I will gladly take a joy ride tho! No, wait. I'll get there on my own. I'd hate for the bug to bite me too soon.

How'd you know? R.I.P. Mittens :cry: Truthfully though, I used to want to build a turbo slant car, because it was different and neat. And then all of a sudden the whole world and their brother want to build a turbo slant. Then prices for anything slant related went way up ($200 for a supersix, with out the kickdown? $175 for a kickdown? Nope) Do I still consider one? Of course. Right now I've been trying to figure out what a decent turbo cam would be. Lots of people lately have been building these, but I don't think many actually look into stuff like sizing the proper turbo, or cam, head porting, etc.

Slant turbos aren't a bad thing, they just have a very small niche. I don't think they are for everyone. I've seen some people lately build boosted slants, only for the project to die off for unknown reasons.

To the OP: If you are wanting to build a turbo slant, great! I look forward to following your build! (I do most all of them) I hope you make great power, but most of all have fun with it, that's what keeps these old cars around. Oh, and if you want to break some ground, and actually put some sort of a science to it, I wouldn't mind at all :glasses7: Merry Christmas!

I will never be done tinkering so you never know how it will wind up. Maybe EFI or nitrous, maybe a complete tear down and rebuild for more boost, or it could always fall on it's face and never happen. Tinkering is what keeps me changing things

Brandon, it seems that the important thing to consider when turbocharging a slant six (or probably ANY motor,)
is to use a cam with short duration, so the phenomenon known as "overlap" (having both valves open at the same time) will be minimized. The fact is, boost exists in the intake tract and if it is offered the opportunity to escape through an open exhaust valve, it will jump at the chance... :eek:ops: There goes your boost..So, cams not too different from a stock one work very well.

Mine is a typical "turbo" cam. It was ground by Bullet, and has 210-degrees of duration @ .050"-lift, on both intake and exhaust, with 115-degree lobe centers, and .484" lift, with stock 1.5 rockers.

That means that turbo motors, with cams like that, idle like a stocker, and have really good street manners. Gas mileage is good, too, with no mileage-killing valve train heroics going on, like a naturally-aspirated motor would likely have, in search of performance.

Hope this helps...

.........as the saying goes; power costs money; how fast do you want to go?

ARRGGUHHH!!!

The saying is supposed to go: "Speed (or power) costs money. How fast do you want to SPEND?

Anyway....SWEEEEET setup on the /6 Valiant!

attachment.php

This surprises me. I thought the choke removed would have dropped it down to 15-17, but maybe the fact that your intake and exhaust still bolt together is helping this? and probably your exhaust is a bit hotter under the intake from turbo backpressure?I dunno, no matter though, that's great. What kind of mileage were you getting before? I bet EFI would make it even better :evil3:

...(I can't remember, did you run 2.25 exhaust and supersix distributor as well?) you had a stock engine. At best you had a stock supersix.

Mittens will be missed.

The kickdown rod was a big letdown for me too. I was almost sure they were made of gold. I had a stock slant, with electronic ignition modified from the 1968 original points dizzy. It had 1 7/8" exhaust, a straight through muffler, and a Weber 38/38 on top of a Supersix manifold. The Weber allowed me to ditch the kickdown mod because it faces the same way as the Holley 1920.

I originally got about 17mpg on average with the 2bbl weber so it's about the same as when the turbo went in. No loss. EFI is a definite thing I'm thinking of, if I had another intake around to build one.

Right now the exhaust is all swapped to a 2 1/4" system for about 4 feet, then opens out to 3" till it exits the rear bumper. 2 1/4 was just easier to mate with the turbo flanges and fit nice. The choke is not effecting things much. The car is difficult to keep at idle in the morning, but it just requires sitting at idle with the revs over 1k rpm to keep it running for about a minute, then it will maintain idle, but that's not fully warmed up. I'm sure if I let it warm up all the way the mileage could be better. I have some more control cables and a really good idea for a functional turbo choke that will not get in the way, and I'll have more on that later.

The fact that my intake and exhaust are still mated may give me a temperature advantage for that, but I'm not sure if it makes a difference.

I may change the cam but every thing I get back to on reading says that the stock cam is pretty decent for turbo use. I feel like leaving the compression and a few other things alone before I went turbo was a good idea, rather than a hinderance. And Merry christmas as well.;

Anyway....SWEEEEET setup on the /6 Valiant!

Thanks for the kind words!

Before you get any notions about me being some sort of pioneer/trail-blazer with this combination, know this: This car is NOT MY IDEA... I am, ABSOLUTELY, not smart enough to figure any of this out on my own... seriously...

My setup is a bald-faced copy of Ryan Peterson's '66 Valiant, as closely as I could build it. Tom Wolfe helped me, immensely, to traverse the relatively un-charted waters of turbocharged slant sixes. Both his engine and Ryan's make about 500 flywheel horsepower, and I will be lucky to get within shouting range of those engines, power-wise, but, I have to try. They both run 25-28 pounds of boost... I am starting out with 10, hoping to get my chassis sorted out at that lesser number, and will increase the boost at a later date when I feel I know a little more about what I am doing.

In the meantime, I am gathering what information I can, and assimilating the myriad bits and pieces as my 76-year-old brain will allow.

Don't worry; ten pounds of boost on a slightly-modified slant six in a 2,700-pound car, will get your attention. it will! I'd guess somewhere in the mid-to-high 13's... (quarter-mile e.t.)

Attachments

• js640_100_3489-2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 129
  • js640_js640_turboside.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 135
-
Back