piston to head clearence

-
Been told that my entire life. I actually have tightened the quench up and saw ZERO I could attribute to quench. I never found anyone to pay to tighten the quench and keep the compression the same.

Some chambers and some engines with retarded geometry are more sensitive to quench. Much worry for little
Thank God. Someone who has tested it and isn't passing on rumors/old mechanics tales.

Sorry rumble, that was a mistake caused by using my cell phone to scroll through this thread. Didn't know I hit that. Carry on, good info....

My 470 engine has the pistons at zero deck. I use a Cometic .040 gasket and the Trick Flow heads. 700 hp with 10.6 compression on pump gas. Everything looks good after 85 dyno pulls so I don't have any problem giving that out as a recommendation. (I wouldn't use LY rods for anything other than a paperweight but I suppose that is a different thread.)

My 470 engine has the pistons at zero deck. I use a Cometic .040 gasket and the Trick Flow heads. 700 hp with 10.6 compression on pump gas. Everything looks good after 85 dyno pulls so I don't have any problem giving that out as a recommendation. (I wouldn't use LY rods for anything other than a paperweight but I suppose that is a different thread.)

That's not the question Andy.

The question is this: take that same 470 and drop it .030 down the hole. But put enough dome on it to keep the exact same 10.6:1 compression.

I say it will make exactly the same HP and TQ at peak. You may lose a it under the curve, but I doubt it.

Always wanted to try it. Couldn't find anyone who wanted to pay for it

the 'squish' is intended to limit any detonation to a degree. It lets the same engine operate on lower octane fuel . I dont think a high horsepower gain is the main focus of squish. I think it is a good feature to try to build into an engine if possible. The costs involved is the problem. trying to keep the comp ratio the same and retain squish usually involves some type of D dish piston and a closed chamber head with zero deck and a 35 to 40 gasket. factory magnum [late] could be a good candidate for this concept. JMHO. It would be an interesting idea to see what HP changes would be made just by eliminating the squish, all else being equal.

That's not the question Andy.

The question is this: take that same 470 and drop it .030 down the hole. But put enough dome on it to keep the exact same 10.6:1 compression.

I say it will make exactly the same HP and TQ at peak. You may lose a it under the curve, but I doubt it.

Always wanted to try it. Couldn't find anyone who wanted to pay for it

I answered the OP question. I think his use of LY rods with Trick Flow heads is a bad combo. I'd rather save the OP from an engine failure that get off track talking about testing quench.

I answered the OP question. I think his use of LY rods with Trick Flow heads is a bad combo. I'd rather save the OP from an engine failure that get off track talking about testing quench.
sometimes it just wont sink in, no matter how many times their told !

Just so the OP knows, you won't gain **** closing up the quench closer than .050 except you'll be able to brag about.

-
Back