Pistons and cam selection for 383 with rpm heads

-

ravskinn

Reaction score
Hi,
I need some help to complete my 383 engine build-up. I got following items already in my garage and just need cam and pistons to get it singing:

383 .060 bored/honed and 0-decked (to the previously worn out flat-top pistons)
Eddy performer rpm heads (84 cc)
Harland sharp 1.5 roller rockers
Eddy performer rpm intake
eddy 750 carburetor
Hooker competition headers

Which pistons and cam would you suggest to give me a 400+ hp car with as much low end torque as possible from this 383 engine?

I've been thinking of the KB400 pistons (6 cc domes and valve reliefs) to keep up the compression around 10.3:1. Is it possible to use those pistons together with the rpm heads or will there be any problems thanks to the angled sparks and the domes of the pistons?

I also been thinking of the hughes whiplash cam just to keep it from bleeding compression. Would that be a great combo?

Thanks in advance!

I cannot find any diamond pistons with dome for 383 with + 0.060 bore. Since I want to keep compression above 10 without milling the heads - flat top pistons is not an option. What about KB400 - will they work nice for this application?

There are not many options for pistons. So honestly the best way is to have the block milled to get those KB400s to zero deck. I'm not a fan of domed pistons but there's not much you can do. You can get 10:1 easy with 400s at zero and a .039 Fel Pro Performance gasket. If you hit 10:1 true a cam like the Comp XE275HL will make 400hp easy.

-
Back