Pistons

-
the L2388F is the 440 piston that will work, comp distance of 1.926". the stock comp distance on a 400 piston is 1.825" and is about .100" below deck

the L2388F is the 440 piston that will work, comp distance of 1.926". the stock comp distance on a 400 piston is 1.825" and is about .100" below deck
Looks like the replacement piston is the 2266. That’s what I’m after. A good piston to run in a 400. Is this piston at 0 deck or is it slightly positive? Reason I ask is do I need open chamber heads or will edelbrock performer rpms work? I can play with compression by using cosmetic gaskets.

the L2266F would be above deck about .055" , and is 876 grams, and would need valve notches cut for any cam. the L2388F would be about .010" below deck, is 819 grams, and might need notches cut

Did this to the short 440 piston , did a small modification to the skirt of the piston to clear the counterweight of the crankshaft.
EDIT. This was more than 20 years ago and the crank used was a Cast crank (which wold of had square edged counter weights more likely to cause the skirt interference than a Steel crank choice).

Last edited:
Looks like the 2388 isn’t available anymore. Runnin a 484 cam. Don’t think notches would be necessary. The mods would make the piston a bit lighter too.

Your only option for the 440 piston is the 2266. You could have the crowns machined and valve reliefs cut. That drives up the price, when most likely, you could have some custom slugs made. Of course, you could always try to find some 2388 pistons.

Your only option for the 440 piston is the 2266. You could have the crowns machined and valve reliefs cut. That drives up the price, when most likely, you could have some custom slugs made. Of course, you could always try to find some 2388 pistons.
Yea the 2388 piston is not able to be found. I guess I could just do a 406B or a 446RB. It’d be easier. I have factory steel cranks for both.

Yea the 2388 piston is not able to be found. I guess I could just do a 406B or a 446RB. It’d be easier. I have factory steel cranks for both.

What power level are you looking for?

Found a new set of tow 2388 .030 pistons! Flat top with no valve reliefs. Otta fit the 400 and boost compression. NOT hyperucracktis. Just gotta watch cam lift. Any suggestions since this is a shorter stroke than a 440? Using 84cc edelbrock rpm heads with a Holley street dominator intake.

Anyone know from experience what size cam I can get away with if I use the 2388 440 piston in my 400? Thanks for all the advice!

-
Back