Pitman and idler arms

-

dusterbd13

Reaction score
So, running the 73 up steering linkage on 70 small block k frame. Ffi stage 3 box, fmj spindles, addco front bar, qa1 strut rods, 1.04 t bars, spax shocks, offset uca bushings, 17x8 wheels with 255/45/17. Tti headers.

Ive killed ANOTHER idler arm. This is number four in 10k. All moog with a lifetime warranty.
The pitman has play now too, but at least this is the first time since restoration.

Im just not happy with the moog stuffs life.
What are my options these days, and what actually holds up? I no longer autocross or drag race the car, just a cruiser. Quicker ratio would be nice, but i doubt it with tti headers. Are there any using bearings instead of the bushings? Proforged the way to go? Mevotech? Something else?

I've heard or read nothing bad about ProForged.

I’m going to try the bearings.

I’m not getting the life out of them either.

Do you have traditional tie rod ends or spherical?

I thought maybe my stiff suspension might be contributing to faster wear. I have 1.12” bars, rod end: tie rods, strut rod, UCA, and poly LCA. Sorta doubting that.

I’m going to try the bearings.

I’m not getting the life out of them either.

Do you have traditional tie rod ends or spherical?

I thought maybe my stiff suspension might be contributing to faster wear. I have 1.12” bars, rod end: tie rods, strut rod, UCA, and poly LCA. Sorta doubting that.
Traditional style. Heck, still the stock 9/16! Never felt the need to go with something different.
Is there a not ffi $125 kit way to do bearings?

Traditional style. Heck, still the stock 9/16! Never felt the need to go with something different.
Is there a not ffi $125 kit way to do bearings?

I think that is the only game in town for bearings.

I don’t think there a big deal with 9/16 vs 11/16 tie rod ends. Especially if you are using stock split sleeve adjusters.

But if you are changing anyways... and most aftermarket tubular sleeves use 11/16 thread.

Some time back someone posted a photo of Moog failed idler, and his car as I recall was a B/RB. The Moog has a plasticy bearing and the implication was that exhaust/ engine heat was destroying the bushing.

Firm Feel has the bearing kits. Just bought one. Firmfeel Mopar Suspension and Steering Can only be used on MOOG arms. just redo one you have.

I thought kit said you have to buy a new idler?

Or can you use your old worn Moog idler?

Is the kit only for the K-member side bearing? Does the joint on the centerlink doesn’t get touched/corrected?

I believe all that does is "rebuild" the K side pivot, not the ball.

I thought kit said you have to buy a new idler?

Or can you use your old worn Moog idler?

Is the kit only for the K-member side bearing? Does the joint on the centerlink doesn’t get touched/corrected?

You can use your old MOOG idler. Look at the instructions online. I have not done it yet. It is the K frame side only. I wonder if you could get the centerlink side from the earlier kit and use it. That would be nice. I still have an original bearing idler from my 64 Cuda from back in the day. Still tighter than a new one, after 40 years later and a couple 100,000 miles on it.

I've heard or read nothing bad about ProForged.

I installed a ProForged idler arm in my Duster about 2000 miles ago, old one wasn't "bad" it was just very old and I couldn't remember if I had ever replaced it in the 12 years I've had the car. It did seem to firm up the steering response a tad and it uses a totally different bushing design from the OE or Moog ones which looks better/stronger. $36 on Summit from what I see as I type this.

I installed a ProForged idler arm in my Duster about 2000 miles ago, old one wasn't "bad" it was just very old and I couldn't remember if I had ever replaced it in the 12 years I've had the car. It did seem to firm up the steering response a tad and it uses a totally different bushing design from the OE or Moog ones which looks better/stronger. $36 on Summit from what I see as I type this.

I wish they made one for the early A bodies.

I wish they made one for the early A bodies.

That sucks I didn't know early A's used a different one. Seems like they're becoming the only game in town for decent-quality affordable suspension and steering parts for old cars, hopefully it's just a matter of time...

-
Back