Plastic Razors Are Expensive

-

dibbons

Reaction score
In my case, it takes a couple of days before I can say I have a "five o'clock shadow". I don't need a razor with five blades.

razor.jpg

I ditched my disposable razors a while back. I just felt that the world doesn't need anymore plastic in the landfills or oceans. I bought a safety razor and just get double edged blades. I've been very happy with the shave. Those razors with a zillion blades just get jammed up with stubble.

I'm even more green than most of you. I just try not to shave much.............

About 1993 'er somewhere

scan01cs-jpg.jpg

Somewhere around 95-97..........

25qakj5-jpg.jpg

"A few" years ago............

_mg_5465cs-jpg.jpg

20yrs in the military, I have spent a small fortune maintaining my rugged baby face..

Get an old school safety razor, the double edge blades are about 4 bucks for a pack of ten.

The number one way to make blades last longer is to wash your face with soap and water before you shave. The oils on the skin and beard will react with the soaps in shaving creams to create a waxy build up on the blades destroying their effectiveness. Washing first removes the oils so that they won't react with the shaving cream when you shave. It also removes the salt deposits from dried perspiration that can further destroy the blade edge.

Also make sure to completely rinse the blades after use with the hottest tap water you have to clean off any residue.

I love my 5 blade Gillette it doesn't clog up at all and gives a nice shave now the 5 blade Bic sucks it clogs up and doesn't last . I can get over 2 months out of one Gillette refill .

I use a 70's vintage Gillette Super Adjustable with Feather blades. I think I have $20 in the razor and the blades cost me $25 on Amazon for 100 blades (about a years worth).

The problem with these newdamfangled stainless blades, is that they don't make very good diode detectors, AKA "Foxhole razor blade radio." For that you need an "actual steel" rusty old blade LOL

ff4d394e03445b9ba40a6ea09c9e4df2.png

I just recently got a new Norelco "One Blade" electric shaver. Sorta a double edged electric safety razor. So far, I am very happy with it.

I stopped shaving over a year ago... I just use one of these trimmers and rock the “sexy stubble” look. :D

120E9D8D-57A1-48FA-9CDA-67237B856707.jpeg

Excuse the plastic wrap on my head. Went out to do chores and forgot my hat so I used a piece of scrap plastic wrap to keep my hair out of my face. Lol
0AC36ABC-B52E-42BC-8DA8-5690F641CADD.jpeg

In my case, it takes a couple of days before I can say I have a "five o'clock shadow". I don't need a razor with five blades.

View attachment 1715128543

Learn to shave in the shower. The cheap 2 blade disposable razors last for over a month each, because the beard gets super soft after 3 or 4 minutes. I usually brush my teeth while waiting for the beard to soften up. It only takes it 2 or 3 minutes to stiffen back up once your out, so you have to do it while your in the shower. I shave both my face and my head every day, and the disposable blades last close to 2 weeks each.

A few years back I figured blind people learn to shave without looking, so I too can learn too. It took a few days to get comfortable with it. No mirror needed, no shaving cream and no shave club membership needed. The Gillette 2 blade razors seem to work best.

I have owned a old 3 blade Norelco for decades. Every few years I buy some replacement cutters for it. It has served me well.

I've been using the trak 2 cartridge stuff forever it seems and a Panasonic Wet/Dry rechargeable electric. I do like the Panasonic, however I just replaced the battery in it, a 1000 mah Ni-cad single, basically AA size, with a post on each end for 18 bucks. A standard tip is only 2.50 at Jameco.

Last edited:
We Patriots fans get 12 free Gillette blades a year. All you need to do is email your details to [email protected] and explain in fifty words or less why Gillette is the best a man can get.
I have used Gillette's Mach 3 Turbo for years. Just can't claim to be a Pat's fan. Not even for free razors. LOL
Go Steelers!
I don't go through them fast enough to worry too much about the cost of cartridges. Recently tried the Giant store brand 'Careone' replacements that fit the Gillette handle and found them to be very good. I can use these or the genuine Gillette for about a month. There are definitely some crappy replacements available. Got some fake Gillette's through ebag a couple years ago. Was getting cuts from them! Looking closely could see the blades were wavy, not set parallel. :eek:

I have owned a old 3 blade Norelco for decades. Every few years I buy some replacement cutters for it. It has served me well.

Every few years? I WISH! I have a 3 blade rotary Norelco and I have to replace the blades about every two months if I want them sharp. That's why I found something different.

She bought me trick razor, think it has 4 blades,, one blade will last me a month or two.... Ya just gotta be tuff!!!!! ,ha yea right!

I use a 70's vintage Gillette Super Adjustable with Feather blades. I think I have $20 in the razor and the blades cost me $25 on Amazon for 100 blades (about a years worth).

I'm runnin a 65 Super Adjustable with Feather blades.

When you’re ready to get serious, learn to wet shave with a straight razor. I promise you the cleanest, closest shave you’ll ever have. Some old school barbers still offer it, I wholeheartedly recommend going to one to see what I’m talking about.

20yrs in the military, I have spent a small fortune maintaining my rugged baby face..

Me too Joe, from your avatar I am quite familiar as half my career was in Hangar 504!

This reminds me of another thread, the one about your oldest thing you have or something like that. I have the soap cup and two razors, double edge blades, that my dad used. Man, I tried that once years ago and them things will cut if you're not careful. LOL

I used to use a Gillette Mach 3, but got tired of spending almost $20 for a refill pack of only 4 blades! I bought an old WWII GI issue shaving kit off eBay. It even came with a pack of PAL Hollow Ground "watch spring steel" blades, but after almost 70 years, they were rather dull. I found a package of Wilkerson Sword blades at the local Wally World for all of $1.97. I bought two packs. Just used the last one up not that long ago. Of course, now that I need more, my WM doesn't carry the Wilkerson Sword blades anymore. Surprise surprise!

I used to use a Gillette Mach 3, but got tired of spending almost $20 for a refill pack of only 4 blades! I bought an old WWII GI issue shaving kit off eBay. It even came with a pack of PAL Hollow Ground "watch spring steel" blades, but after almost 70 years, they were rather dull. I found a package of Wilkerson Sword blades at the local Wally World for all of $1.97. I bought two packs. Just used the last one up not that long ago. Of course, now that I need more, my WM doesn't carry the Wilkerson Sword blades anymore. Surprise surprise!
Look up theartofshaving.com they may not have WS blades but they’ll get you in business.

-
Back