Please don't rip me a new one, but....

-
Local yard has a complete 1970 V8 Scamp 2 dr hard top missing only engine and trans....zero rust anywhere, comes with two extra fenders with no dents, interior not terrible, $900
dam i have a spare 340 trans and 8 3/4 wish i could find something like that local

dam i have a spare 340 trans and 8 3/4 wish i could find something like that local
Me too, the truck i purchased turned out to be a real turd! The previous owner (i think) cleaned up the whole underside of the truck with a power washer I'm guessing, then sprayed tons of undercoating on it.

I started scraping some of it off because i was curious and sure enough, the frame is shot! Back to square one :BangHead:

Home build GT prototype racer where I'd go if couldn't find chassis . Drag rail for some others .
And a lot of somebody else's money.
If I had somebody else's money I could burn mine .

Anyone here have experience in swapping a 4.7L out for a LA engine in a 2000 Durango? Not worried about any of the electronics, just drive train issues.

It's 4x4 which i don't want but i can deal with that part later. It only has 37k miles so show room condition, but the engine dropped 2 cylinders for some reason?
$500 is her asking price.

I didn't read this whole thread but the fact is....you can still buy a very righteous Mopar for a reasonable price. I see them often....if only I had the space to store them all...

The big problem lies in people who think a Mopar is a 70+ cuda, Challenger, or certain years of B bodies. Or even worse, a 'numbers matching, fender tag' moron. If you must be one of those sheep, then you're gonna suffer accordingly.

I didn't read this whole thread but the fact is....you can still buy a very righteous Mopar for a reasonable price. I see them often....if only I had the space to store them all...

The big problem lies in people who think a Mopar is a 70+ cuda, Challenger, or certain years of B bodies. Or even worse, a 'numbers matching, fender tag' moron. If you must be one of those sheep, then you're gonna suffer accordingly.
God no!, i could care less about numbers matching or factory correct paint overspray etc..couldn't afford one of those collector grade cars anyway.

I'm keeping my eyes open and hopefully pick a decent one up around tax time.
If i have to rent a trailer and go a state or two, i will. I've contacted several from Facebook via a buddy, but they never responded back.

Anyone here have experience in swapping a 4.7L out for a LA engine in a 2000 Durango? Not worried about any of the electronics, just drive train issues.
Haven't done that swap, but I am fairly certain that the bellhousing is compatible, likely not the torque converter, maybe a simple fix for the 4.7. For $500. I'd buy it any day of the week.

It's 4x4 which i don't want but i can deal with that part later. It only has 37k miles so show room condition, but the engine dropped 2 cylinders for some reason?

My buddy told me to eliminate the transmission, transfer case and front 4x4 assembly to make it 2wd and 200lbs lighter.

You could eliminate the front differential, cut the splines off the ends of the axles and bolt them to the wheel bearing. They are what keep the wheel bearings preload on 4x4s. The 47re will bolt up to the LA bellhousing, but you'll need a controller to make it work. As for the mounts, I'm not sure what the difference is, but there have been a ton of these swaps in Dakotas and other trucks.

You could eliminate the front differential, cut the splines off the ends of the axles and bolt them to the wheel bearing. They are what keep the wheel bearings preload on 4x4s. The 47re will bolt up to the LA bellhousing, but you'll need a controller to make it work. As for the mounts, I'm not sure what the difference is, but there have been a ton of these swaps in Dakotas and other trucks.
Great info, thanks! I can fab my own mounts and brackets when needed. I was going to go with the 727 i picked up, i think the 4x4 transmission is completely different than a regular 2wd transmission, but not totally sure.

Great info, thanks! I can fab my own mounts and brackets when needed. I was going to go with the 727 i picked up, i think the 4x4 transmission is completely different than a regular 2wd transmission, but not totally sure.
The output shaft/tailshaft housing are different between a 2wd and 4wd. The nice thing about the 47re is that you would have OD and Torque Converter lockup.

The output shaft/tailshaft housing are different between a 2wd and 4wd. The nice thing about the 47re is that you would have OD and Torque Converter lockup.
I'll probably have to run a small stall converter, haven't formulated the size yet.
Definitely going to find a rear end with the factory 3.92 rear gears.

I think the 98-99 came factory with those gears.

So, I didn't read every page, but are you back to still looking? How far you want to travel? I'm in Pa., and have a '78 LeBaron cpe., /6 factory straight stick, floor shift, bench seat car. Does have a small dent in left "c" pillar, bottom flats of the rear fenders are rusted, and the headliner is starting to fall down. Also a '73 Fury III, 2dr hdt, "root beer", brown, beige interior and roof, 360 AT, AC, 86,000 some miles, garaged since mid '80's. Needs grille, front bumper, left front fender, dent removed from left rear fender and rear bumper. Have all parts, but rear bumper and front fender. Even have an extra front frame with a 360/AT. Also an '87 LeBaron cpe., 2.2 turbo, silver (faded bad), needs exhaust installed, fuel pump and tank reinstalled. Have an extra '92(?), 2.2 and 4 like new 15" tires to go with it. Asking; "78- $1000; '73 Fury-$1000, extra front end -$400. '87 Cpe- $1500. I have a few others also up for grabs for the right price.

Bought another truck, pretty solid this time, 1980 D150 short box. Has a 3spd manual on the floor with a slant six. Can the 3spd bell housing be swapped so it will bolt to my 360LA block?

Anyone here have experience in swapping a 4.7L out for a LA engine in a 2000 Durango? Not worried about any of the electronics, just drive train issues. I have never done it my self. But I have read people say it was easier to swap in a 5.7 Hemi in wear a 4.7 used to be. The 5.9 magnum I have came out of a 2000 Durango. So to me it looks like it woukd be easier to swap to a magnum than a la engine..is your Durango a 4x4? If so I still have the magnum motor mounts. If you pay shipping you can have them.

Bought another truck, pretty solid this time, 1980 D150 short box. Has a 3spd manual on the floor with a slant six. Can the 3spd bell housing be swapped so it will bolt to my 360LA block?
I dont think the slant six bell housing will bolt to a V8 block. What engine are you going to put in it? Also don't forget to post pictures of your build.

Yep, i want to keep the manual transmission but the slant six bell housing won't bolt up to my 408 (360LA). Just wondering if bell housings were interchangeable for LAs

I'm really confused now, when getting some parts at my local speed shop, he said the K member in my 80 Slant 6 truck won't accommodate the 360 swap, he also said i will need a car oil pan?:BangHead:

The truck shouldn't have a k member, just a cross member. A truck oil pan is all you should need, along with the correct motor mounts in the correct location.

The truck shouldn't have a k member, just a cross member. A truck oil pan is all you should need, along with the correct motor mounts in the correct location.
Thank you, i have no idea what this guy was talking about.

Thought this was going to be a bit simpler.
When i was 16, my cousin and i did a Ford 300 6 swap to a 351w with a manual.
All we had to do was buy a different flywheel and throw out bearing.
I have Emailed Brewer's twice with no response as of yet. Hoping they have EVERYTHING i need so this doesn't turn into a "hunting down a prehistoric part" scenario :(

-
Back