Please explain different types of heads to me?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
O.k. I have read and I have come down to these different head types for a 360...
"x" "j" "w" "magnum" "Swirl Port"... and I'm a bit confused.
Someone recommended a Lunati VooDoo 268 cam. It does sound pretty cool.
Can I just go with my stock heads, or would it be best to look for heads with better flow?
I have read a lot of good stuff about all of these heads. Would the newer Magnum heads bolt right up to an older 360 block, and intake?
Also I've read to look for 2.02" intake and 1.60" exhaust.

Can someone put this all together for me? I am on a limited budget so if the stock heads are fine, then great, but I don't want to get a cam and end up not getting the performance out of it that I should, you know?

Thanks for the help!

your stock heads are fine...just give a good valve job done on them...

replace parts as needs...springs...guides..

x and j heads are basically the same except the x will have 2.02 intake...j heads will mostly come with 1.88 intake...

if you want to the 1.88 can be replaced with 2.02...

the W-2... cast iron racing head made for nascar racing back in the mid 70s ...several version available...race and econo...

basically required different / new intake manifold...expensive rocker arms and stand...along all together different headers...

w5 ...basically aluminum w2 but intake port rectangle instead of oval and intake raised...uses w2 rocker gear also...

w7, w8, w9...made for nascar truck racing...world of outlaws...nhra pro stock truck racing...not necessarly in that order...

308 heads are factory heads on 89-91 360s...high swirl...same 1.88 intake and 1.60 exhaust valve...same open chambers...but have great flowing exhaust...alot of nhra stock and super stocker use those heads if they can,..

magnum heads....92 to 2001...use rockers on studs instead of shaft rockers...small high swirl combustion chambers...better flowing then x and j heads untouched...also have intake bolts at vertical instead of at angle on x and j heads...also has 10 bolts valve covers instead of 5...

yes...magnum can be used on LA...but needs a few special parts...lifters must oil thru pushrod..instead of thru head as on LA engine...

most of new hydraulic lifters do that already....need new pushrods that oil thru themselves to oil rocker arms...

read more about LA and magnum hybrid here...

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/smallblock/7.html

lol stupid me i should of read that before i started askin questions lol. thanks.
i am new to small blocks myaslym so this is a great thread for me to. thanks

-
Back