Please Explain Lane Splitting

-
I wonder how a motorcycist would like it if a car lane split? Lol

Around here? Saw it the other day. Bike was making a left turn, car was going straight. All waiting for the light. When the car pulled up next to him, the guy flipped up his visor and started screaming ****.

On the other hand, I seen guys on road bikes not give a ****. Just depends on the personality of the rider.

Waaa Waaaa Waaa splat! (silence) I have witnessed it twice. I don't ride any more and now days with all the drivers on their cell phones while driving it's a roll of the dice regardless of how good of a driver you are.

Just because someone is on two wheels does not make them an idiot, or an asshole, or someone who wants to run over baby-strollers. That is the impression I am getting from a lot of you people here. Don't tell me you always drive the speed limit and follow all the laws of the road in your mopars. Hypocrites.

That may be your perception. I have no issue with bike riders who follow the law and act responsibly. I've got a lot of friends who enjoy riding and want them to return safely to their families. Cars pulling out in front of them with the excuse of, "I didn't see him," is one of the biggest ones I hear about. My former business partner suffered some apparent brain damage because of that excuse. When the paramedics arrived to get him, his helmet was split in half. Six weeks later he was able to leave the hospital.

Have I been known to have some fun and air out the car? Sure. All of the ones I've owned have put through the paces. Safely. Without anyone else near me. And definitely not with my kids in the car.

It's enough to have to keep an eye out for idiots on their cell phones to keep my kids safe when they are in the car with me. I'd appreciate that I don't also have to keep an eye for that idiot wanting to pass me on the shoulder doing 80 or having to watch out for that kid doing wheelies at 75mph as he passes me.

Just because someone is on two wheels does not make them an idiot, or an asshole, or someone who wants to run over baby-strollers. That is the impression I am getting from a lot of you people here. Don't tell me you always drive the speed limit and follow all the laws of the road in your mopars. Hypocrites.

No, that is true......but ALL bikers who lane split are morons. If for no other reason that they have convinced themselves that it is a save practice........for anyone

Yup, I knew this thread would turn into this. A bunch of hypocritical car drivers that don’t like lane splitting because they got scared by someone lane splitting in an unsafe/illegal manner.

This board is full of guys telling stories about their glory days street racing and doing stupid, illegal BS in their cars. And then the same guys whine about motorcycle riders because some rider scared the crap out of them when they weren’t paying attention.

Lane splitting can be done safely. Yes, it’s a higher risk and you have to be careful, and not everyone is. As I pointed out already, it’s legal in more places than it’s not if you look at the whole world instead of just the US. Can it be done dangerously? Of course! But people speed doing everything in their cars. Hell thats why I have an overdrive transmission for my Duster. Because I have to be able to cruise at 80mph on the freeway to KEEP UP with traffic, even though the speed limit is 65 around here. Think that’s not dangerous? Fatality rates increase with speed, even for cars.

Yes, riding a motorcycle is more dangerous. You’ve got less protection and people NEVER look for bikes. But you know what? Driving a classic car is more dangerous too. Don’t see you guys lining up to complain about that.

Yup, I knew this thread would turn into this. A bunch of hypocritical car drivers that don’t like lane splitting because they got scared by someone lane splitting in an unsafe/illegal manner.

This board is full of guys telling stories about their glory days street racing and doing stupid, illegal BS in their cars. And then the same guys whine about motorcycle riders because some rider scared the crap out of them when they weren’t paying attention.

Lane splitting can be done safely. Yes, it’s a higher risk and you have to be careful, and not everyone is. As I pointed out already, it’s legal in more places than it’s not if you look at the whole world instead of just the US. Can it be done dangerously? Of course! But people speed doing everything in their cars. Hell thats why I have an overdrive transmission for my Duster. Because I have to be able to cruise at 80mph on the freeway to KEEP UP with traffic, even though the speed limit is 65 around here. Think that’s not dangerous? Fatality rates increase with speed, even for cars.

Yes, riding a motorcycle is more dangerous. You’ve got less protection and people NEVER look for bikes. But you know what? Driving a classic car is more dangerous too. Don’t see you guys lining up to complain about that.

Like_Thank_Agree_Daisy_Duke.jpg

There are a lot of safe motorcycle riders out there.

But there are idiots too.

And this same thing can be said of any data sector. That's why the idiotic OP in the other thread was so disgusting. The OP says all bike riders are assholes and he hates them.

Juvenile thinking at its best.

Would MY insurance be cheaper for 4 wheel vehicles if all motorcycles were off the road?

Nope, sure wouldn't. You car insurance is based more on what natural disaster just happened than a driving record. Just the FACTS. Insurance is reverse gambling, and the insurance companies rig the gamble to never lose. When they do, they fix it.

That's why compulsory insurance is idiotic. It allows idiotic juries to give out rediculous pay outs and think it doesn't affect their pocket book.

I’ve seen several comments in these threads that are completely the opposite, assuming that anyone in a car (or cage) is an idiot or an ***, just sayin’

And this same thing can be said of any data sector. That's why the idiotic OP in the other thread was so disgusting. The OP says all bike riders are assholes and he hates them.

Juvenile thinking at its best.

You are absolutely incorrect, I did not say all bike riders are assholes. I see bikes doing stupid **** I will call them assholes, same for people in cars doing stupid ****.

You are absolutely incorrect, I did not say all bike riders are assholes. I see bikes doing stupid **** I will call them assholes, same for people in cars doing stupid ****.
Agreed. There was a high speed bike/cop chase here last summer. I caught them going by at 100+. The guy on the bike was a stupid asshole plain and simple. He got caught after he got off his bike but he was a lucky dog. He could have got killed or killed someone else in the process. Good thing the Patrolman had a Charger and could keep up with him.

Don't for one minute think that because you have a bike that can accelerate and out maneuver anything on the road , you can or should make that happen. You might find yourself looking at the underside of the lid of a pine box!

You turn across lane(s) of active traffic, even if it's stopped, you have responsibility to make sure it's safe. I had a situation where traffic was stopped, I got waved through. Traffic on my left started moving and the car on the end decided to go and we barely hit. It was partly my fault because they had the Right of Way. Their contention, I never waved you through... even though they were looking right at me as I proceeded across the other two lanes, getting tagged in the last one.

Yeah the bike guy was a knucklehead and not lane splitting if he was next to the curb.

I rode safe most of the time except when in the canyons. I got hit twice by cars, once while sitting at a traffic light. People in cars are very distracted now and I will NEVER ride again. Yes, there are plenty of knuckleheads that ride, same as in cars.

Last edited:
Recently, someone complained about Sport Motorcycles passing him in a no passing zone at 25 MPH over the speed limit, and someone said that only a stupid state would not allow Lane Splitting. Please do NOT rag on STUPID motorcycle drivers in this post.

So much for that....lol

I've always felt safer on a motorcycle especially with no helmet! It's the helmet law that pisses me off. Someone else deciding what I need to wear on my head?
Also it's like I wish people driving cars had to wear a helmet and all the sudden I couldn't hear nothing and couldn't see from side to side! Then take away every bit of their protection on top of it! Honestly though I'm not big on this lane splitting. I just like to drop an eye down on a mirror as I'm pulling to the stop to make sure no Jack wads coming up on me too quick and I don't need to Lane split to save my life. When I was young I remember driving 6 miles to work at 10 miles an hour on my street bike on the ice. I put my feet down and slid all the way like to pontoons. Like I said I was on my dad's bike a few months ago keeping up in traffic at 85 on the freeway in LA to go visit a member and I just felt not safe. Especially the freeways that are so cobbled and under marked.

I usually wear a helmet but not always... I think helmets are a personal choice if over 18.

Lane splitting:

It’s when you take Ms. Lane and have her lift one leg over the...

Wait....what?

I'm surprised it took this long to bring up the helmet law.

It's kind of like shagging off Plenty of Fish.... Go ahead and throw the coals to it without protection but when things go South don't go cryin' like a lil' ***** because you got a chick knocked up or your local healthcare clinic is scraping crust off your twig and berries lol....

As for the helmet, I could care less what someone either thinks or does in regards to safety apparatus when riding (but in case some have never figured it out you don't dress for the ride, you dress for the crash....) My problem is when their actions turn into my problem either because what they have done disrupted my life at a personal level or they are expecting Taxpayers to cover their stupidity via Disability because someone thought when their head smacks pavement at 49mph everything is gonna be alright...... And that is exactly why our gubmt' intervenes and makes laws based on things just like that.

Be safe guys..... The ones who think they are above the law create a less than stellar fan base for the riders in general...

JW

Well said! They may "feel safer" but in reality aren't safer.
Apply the same 'logic"?? to seatbelts.
It's kind of like shagging off Plenty of Fish.... Go ahead and throw the coals to it without protection but when things go South don't go cryin' like a lil' ***** because you got a chick knocked up or your local healthcare clinic is scraping crust off your twig and berries lol....

As for the helmet, I could care less what someone either thinks or does in regards to safety apparatus when riding (but in case some have never figured it out you don't dress for the ride, you dress for the crash....) My problem is when their actions turn into my problem either because what they have done disrupted my life at a personal level or they are expecting Taxpayers to cover their stupidity via Disability because someone thought when their head smacks pavement at 49mph everything is gonna be alright...... And that is exactly why our gubmt' intervenes and makes laws based on things just like that.

Be safe guys..... The ones who think they are above the law create a less than stellar fan base for the riders in general...

JW

Well said! They may "feel safer" but in reality aren't safer.
Apply the same 'logic"?? to seatbelts.

Bingo.... You have it figured out. Congrats lol.... But there will always be a percentage of people who do their own thing. Great, just don't make it my problem...

JW

Prepare for the crash LOL that's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life! I've rode all my life and I can tell you that what you do is prepared not to crash! And you do that by having all your senses aware not by covering them up. Your senses and your intelligence keep you out of 99% of everything. And don't give me that crap about anything can happen because nobody wears a helmet when they walk across the street! Anybody can get hit by a something Freak. Anybody remember the train that came off the bridge in Seattle and crushed people below driving by? They weren't on motorcycles. Freak accidents happen.
34 years with my motorcycle endorsement and anything that I've ever got into was my fault.

Would MY insurance be cheaper for 4 wheel vehicles if all motorcycles were off the road?
No. Your insurance would go down if every driver had insurance. Thats why we have 'uninsured motorist insurance'. Lane splitting. Most major highways in the cities have two sets of double yellow lines that divide the carpool lane from the non carpool lanes. The distance between the two double lines is two feet. So technically a rider has 5 feet to split lanes. Thats why those two double lines are there. To split lanes. Splitting lanes between non carpool lanes is is just asking for trouble.

-
Back