Please Help Me All Of You

-
This is such a kind gesture, you my friend are what all Americans should be curtious, goodhearted and honest which I myself can tell you are.

WOW....Iraq and Afghanistan. Be safe out there, both of you. :wav:

10-4! Ya'll be cool. "Liberate" what you can but it 'aint worth your lives. 8) I only say this 'cause I give a damn. You guys have done so much protecting our freedom, no need to take any unessecery (sp?) risks.

I can`t wait to see a picture of this fellow with his WWII hat and a great big smile.:-D

Me too!

Pretty sure I have one or two Connecticut plates around here somewhere .. I'll check tomorrow .. Cool idea !!

Kenny

I finaly found the Alaska '76 plate in my closet. I got it in the mail yesterday. Remember to post pix when you give him the plates :D

j

What a great idea!!!!!
I think I've got an OLD Kali plate, somewhere.

Found em! "22" Kli and "56" Kali.
The older one looks 85 years old
Want them?

LCjeff

i will take anything.he will be so surprised.
i will get you all pictures. i figured i would wait until next week or two to give them to him

This is madness!!!
Don't get me wrong, I donated a box full of tags to this effort. But, as a tag collector, I have seen many tags discussed in this thread that are darn nice tags. As a collector of license plates it tears me apart.
Picture if you would, someone taking up a collection of sharkstooth grills just so they could cut them up and use the individual teeth for some other arts & crafts type purpose! They don't make those old tags anymore.
Please, I would send you two for one for many of these tags. I will try state for state (give me one old X state, I will give you 2 newer tags from X state).
For the love of God, please stop the madness...
C

This is madness!!!
Don't get me wrong, I donated a box full of tags to this effort. But, as a tag collector, I have seen many tags discussed in this thread that are darn nice tags. As a collector of license plates it tears me apart.
Picture if you would, someone taking up a collection of sharkstooth grills just so they could cut them up and use the individual teeth for some other arts & crafts type purpose! They don't make those old tags anymore.
Please, I would send you two for one for many of these tags. I will try state for state (give me one old X state, I will give you 2 newer tags from X state).
For the love of God, please stop the madness...
C

I can understand what you`re feeling with the vintage plates clhyer. I like to preserve the past too. I`d think anything from the 70`s back would be worth collecting versus bending up to make dustpans. The plates I sent were circa 1990`s, so no worries there. The main thing is that the old fellow keep busy and that he has a variety of plates to bring some asthetic diversity to his work. I`m with clhyer here, you guys should save the vintage plates for the collectors and send your contemporary plates away for the artist.

Wow Cal ... it never dawned on me a collector would be interested in them. I don't suppose you collect Breyer Horses too, do you? I have a big box of those. :-D

I expect that both the "22" & "56" might bring a pretty penny on ebay. The "22" may fill in someone's hole that is collecting a complete state run, the "56" would likely go for either someone doing a birthyear run for themselves or for maybe a family member. Both of my kids have a complete birthyear run (1 or more from each state for the year they were born - my son has his displayed as a border between wall and ceiling in his bedroom, looks pretty cool); or the "56" might go to someone who is/has restored a 1956 model something and wants to put a "56" tag on it - some states allow this as the main tag on an antique car.
Please, though, don't let them get cut up for dustpans!
C

Leanna,
Sorry, the horses I am interested in are under the hood...
I had to look up Breyer Horses on Yahoo, I had never heard of them before.

On another note, I received the color samples today. Thanks, I will be comparing them with my engine to see what they look like. You didn't send the Poncho Blue; That sounds like it should be the color, but what's in a name, right?
I'll let you know results tomorrow,
Cal

Leanna,
Sorry, the horses I am interested in are under the hood...
I had to look up Breyer Horses on Yahoo, I had never heard of them before

On another note, I received the color samples today. Thanks, I will be comparing them with my engine to see what they look like. You didn't send the Poncho Blue; That sounds like it should be the color, but what's in a name, right?
I'll let you know results tomorrow,
Cal

Cal, I was holding on to that Poncho Blue until the rest of the blue swatches arrive. I mailed your paint sample to Oregon early this week so it shouldn't be more than a few days. The Poncho looked pretty good to me but since I don't have every color here, it can't hurt to see if they have something even closer to what you're looking for.

Sorry to hijack the license plate thread. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming ........ :-D :-D :-D :-D

I expect that both the "22" & "56" might bring a pretty penny on ebay. The "22" may fill in someone's hole that is collecting a complete state run, the "56" would likely go for either someone doing a birthyear run for themselves or for maybe a family member. Both of my kids have a complete birthyear run (1 or more from each state for the year they were born - my son has his displayed as a border between wall and ceiling in his bedroom, looks pretty cool); or the "56" might go to someone who is/has restored a 1956 model something and wants to put a "56" tag on it - some states allow this as the main tag on an antique car.
Please, though, don't let them get cut up for dustpans!
C

I agree.....still like the idea of makin the guy's day in a little differant way.
Maybe do an auction for the retirement he deserves, I cant believe he's still working for peanuts, though happyness is rare, he seems to have it.
I have to admit, I got them for free, so what now?
LCjeff

PS should I post pics?

LCJeff,
Yes, please post pics.
74360Duster, the tags are for the old Vet so it's his call what he wants to do with them. If you let him know that "some" of the tags are definately worth more to collectors and I would hope that he would try to go that route. Someone looking for that "22" CA may give him a box full of CA tags and a few bucks to boot... I would offer my services as a conduit to put them out on a collectors list serv I belong to. Or, there is always the ebay route and that is quick and simple for cash only.

Duster, I apologize for taking this thread in a different direction. I hope I demonstrated my sincerity early on by my donation. It wasn't until some of the more valuable tags started flowing your way that I felt I had to say something. I also hope that I made a couple suggestions that might could make it a win-win for a lot of folks - you, for starting it; the Vet, who can do much better than a $5 dustpan with some of these tags; LCJeff and others who donated more than a $2 plate to the cause; and some collector looking to fill that gap!
C

Let's see if this works,
348m3pj.jpg

And this,
ztu905.jpg

LCjeff

Woohoo it does!

How much $$$ do you think the old vet can get?

LCJeff,
The '56, I might hazard a $15-20 guess. I am actually doing a '56 run for my wife (mine is a '52) and my '56 CA probably run me about $15 and it's in better shape, but then I bought it several years ago also...
As to the '22, I really don't have any idea. I've not done any complete runs of any state. It is a pretty decent tag, though; so I think it would be worth a good bit more.
C

clhyer
do not worry about intruding. in on my thread. we have these threads for stuff like this one and also for learning. i myself did not know there was such a big deal abou old license plates as for colletors. it is nice to know this.
i will have to start saving things. i know my wife will be glad when i get this pile of license plates off of her island in the kitchen.

I just realized, with the help of my trusty calculater, tho old vet was born in '21'
or so, he might get a real kick out of the '22' plate, sentimental value ya-know.

What a great thing your doing, let me know if there's something I can do for you. We insulate some of the oddest things. PM me with questions.

LCjeff

I can get you some Utah and probably Idaho ones. Let me see what I have.

on a side note. If anyone has a pair of 1973 plates in good shape, please let me know.

Thanks, Jeremy

-
Back