Please help me diagnose this 273

-
I did about the same as the OP with my 273. Fuel system tune up. (flush tank and lines new pump and overhaul the carb) Engine tune up (plugs, points, condenser, cap, rotor,wires) adjust valves. It ran pretty good but smoked quite a bit. I ran it that way a couple years and pulled it and rebuilt it. I was thinking of just valve seals or pulling the heads but the rest had 100,000 miles on it, had a bunch of leaks, and frost plugs rusting out. Like putting lipstick on a pig.

I did about the same as the OP with my 273. Fuel system tune up. (flush tank and lines new pump and overhaul the carb) Engine tune up (plugs, points, condenser, cap, rotor,wires) adjust valves. It ran pretty good but smoked quite a bit. I ran it that way a couple years and pulled it and rebuilt it. I was thinking of just valve seals or pulling the heads but the rest had 100,000 miles on it, had a bunch of leaks, and frost plugs rusting out. Like putting lipstick on a pig.

That's a good description but a lot of people try to do it. Says the professional typist.

Rule number one of diagnostics, never assume anything. Best way to tell mechanical condition without a lot of work is to do a leak down test. This will absolutely tell you if you have a valve/guide and /or ring problem. With that info you can start to do your repair. Biggest lies in automotive, Just been rebuilt, just needs the carb or timing adjusted. Never believe anything you have not checked for your self. Something I remember hearing many years ago from one of my early mentors,"Never believe anything that you hear and only half of what you see."

Rule number one of diagnostics, never assume anything. Best way to tell mechanical condition without a lot of work is to do a leak down test. This will absolutely tell you if you have a valve/guide and /or ring problem. With that info you can start to do your repair. Biggest lies in automotive, Just been rebuilt, just needs the carb or timing adjusted. Never believe anything you have not checked for your self. Something I remember hearing many years ago from one of my early mentors,"Never believe anything that you hear and only half of what you see."

I caint agree more with diagnostics........only problem is, whenever I recommend it, people seem to fall down and curl up into the fetal position hollerin about how much work it is. Nobody nowadays wants to learn how to do anything. They all want it handed to them on a silver platter.

And I was not referring to the OP. He seems to be listening at least.

Last edited:

In my experience, pass on any "rebuilt" engine. You are better off buying a high mileage untouched engine that is still running and start fresh.

-
Back