Please help to select the right stuff, Distributor, wires...

-
No, that's for AMC engines. You need one for a Dodge or Plymouth 360. But first also decide if you want a stock/OEM distributor, or are you modifying/hot-rodding.

No, that's for AMC engines. You need one for a Dodge or Plymouth 360. But first also decide if you want a stock/OEM distributor, or are you modifying/hot-rodding.
I'm looking for an alternatives that will fit my engine, not chasing for the stock condition (original)

Last edited:
No matter what distributor you decide on the biggest issue is getting the right curve in it.

Same thing curve is the key to it. Just do not understand what you meant by a modes.

Thanks. Petronix makes some good ones ( flame thrower) Pricey though. Another option I like is a stock adjustable either Mallory or OEM Mopar Performance with the petronix unit in it. Sounds like you need pretty much a stock curve with a few degrees added to make it a bit hotter since it is basically a stock motor. No mods?

Now I'm lost :) please check this option Proform Street/Strip HEI Distributors 67040 https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/pro-67040/overview/make/plymouth and there written a question (looks like my case):

I have a carbureted 5,9 magnum out of a Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ, does this Distributor fit on my engine?
Thanks for your help!

Answer #1:
The PROFORM 67040 distributor will not fit this engine application.
Proform Parts Proform Parts Answer - January 06, 2017

Answer #2:
I Have the same Distributor on my 99 5.2 Magnum that i converted to carb, they have the same block so id say Yes it will fit your 5.9 magnum. Hope this helps
ANDREW from MN answered on March 31, 2017

So will it fit or not? :)

Thanks. Petronix makes some good ones ( flame thrower) Pricey though. Another option I like is a stock adjustable either Mallory or OEM Mopar Performance with the petronix unit in it. Sounds like you need pretty much a stock curve with a few degrees added to make it a bit hotter since it is basically a stock motor. No mods?
Sorry if I'm based on my English knowledge missing something, I have stock engine 5.9L that was injection and now it's carb. no other modifications, in terms of "CURVE" what I'm missing? what does it means? is there any exact model I need to buy?

Curve basically is telling the ignition where to be when running. You can get a plug and play distributor and they usually go full advance mechanically around 2000 rpm. where are you from?

Just info, watch the ones with the GM style cap it will probably hit the fire wall.

69-340 yours fit without hitting? just curious heard of both.

Curve basically is telling the ignition where to be when running. You can get a plug and play distributor and they usually go full advance mechanically around 2000 rpm. where are you from?
I'm from Russia, almost at the end of the 9 years of restoration path :)

Got ya. Yeah you want to make sure you order the right one. I do like the summit ones since they have GM internals that are really easy to adjust the curve the only thing is how do you make sure it wont hit the firewall.

69-340 yours fit without hitting? just curious heard of both.
I don't have that one. But I don't believe it is normal for them to have clearance issues. I guess it depends on the car.
I have the MSD #8534, with their coil, and their 6AL box. That's a lot more expensive than the all-in-one GM-style unit. MSD makes a normal-sized one that needs no box but still uses an external coil, #8388.

I have had people call me to see if I could do something about it, just a few. I do like that setup, coil in the cap same as a gm module system, All you need to do is run a hot wire 12v to it. Probably guys doing a sb into a slant k member.

I have had people call me to see if I could do something about it, just a few. I do like that setup, coil in the cap same as a gm module system, All you need to do is run a hot wire 12v to it. Probably guys doing a sb into a slant k member.
It's very very tight at the fire wall on a lot of our a-bodies in there - even with the v-8 k-frame etc.
I would not gamble on distributor height and a wider and taller cap when mail ordering from out of country.

@Achill take some photos and make some measurements of how much room is available.
upload_2019-11-26_9-21-59.png

Or make a silouette out of cardboard.
upload_2019-11-26_9-25-32.png

Regarding engine size: American Motors Corporation (AMC) made a very different v-8 engine that had displacement of 360 cubic inches.
Those AMC engines continued to be installed in some Jeeps at least through 1991, even though Chrysler had purchased Jeep in 1987.
Those AMC v-8 engines have the distributor in the front of the engine, and engage with a gear.
The Chrysler distributors engage into a slot.

Do you still have the distributor from when the engine was in the Jeep?

Sorry if I'm based on my English knowledge missing something, I have stock engine 5.9L that was injection and now it's carb. no other modifications, in terms of "CURVE" what I'm missing? what does it means? is there any exact model I need to buy?
I agree with Halifaxhops. It will be easiest if you buy a distributor that has the curves close to what the engine will want.
If the car is 1973 or later and still has original wiring, a distributor for a 1990s Dodge truck using a Chrysler type amplifier will be easiest.

Hi! trying to understand if I've selected the right distributor for my Magnum 360 (engine from Jeep Cherokee 1998), 5.9L

Is this distributor will fit my engine?
Summit Racing® Blueprinted HEI Distributors SUM-850048 Summit Racing® Blueprinted HEI Distributors SUM-850048

and wires? MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Spark Plug Wire Sets 31223
MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Spark Plug Wire Sets 31223
thanks a lot!
If I were you I would get a bone-stock electronic distributor from the parts store. A stock coil and a stock ignition module and a stock ballast resistor and a stock set of wires and a stock set of spark plugs...
I went from that to full MSD everything and did not see one bit of performance ganes at the quarter mile drag strip...
KEEP IT SIMPLE....

It's very very tight at the fire wall on a lot of our a-bodies in there - even with the v-8 k-frame etc.
I would not gamble on distributor height and a wider and taller cap when mail ordering from out of country.

@Achill take some photos and make some measurements of how much room is available.
View attachment 1715428739
Or make a silouette out of cardboard.
View attachment 1715428743

Regarding engine size: American Motors Corporation (AMC) made a very different v-8 engine that had displacement of 360 cubic inches.
Those AMC engines continued to be installed in some Jeeps at least through 1991, even though Chrysler had purchased Jeep in 1987.
Those AMC v-8 engines have the distributor in the front of the engine, and engage with a gear.
The Chrysler distributors engage into a slot.

Do you still have the distributor from when the engine was in the Jeep?

Probably that's the best way to get the right choice. Once the engine will be in place I'll try to measure the actual space for the distributor and will come back to this thread.

-
Back