Please Help!

-

heyitruns

Reaction score
Throttle cable on my 67 /6 Dart snapped last night. I tried calling around to a few places and no one seems to have one. Best I found is a small parts place that has them for 72-75 Darts with the /6.

If anyone has the accelerator cable for my car sitting around or knows if the one from a 72-75 will work, please let me know. This my only car/daily driver, so I need to get this done ASAP.

I'm located in La Habra, CA and the car is currently in a grocery store parking lot in downtown Fullerton, CA. Anyone in the area that has a cable, please contact me and I'll buy it up. Or if anyone can tell me if the cable off the later Darts is the same size. (I would assume it is, but assuming has gotten me into trouble before.)

Just thought about it, if anyone knows of a parts place in the area that carries hard to find parts for old Mopars, that would work as well.

Thank You

Throttle cable on my 67 /6 Dart snapped last night. I tried calling around to a few places and no one seems to have one. Best I found is a small parts place that has them for 72-75 Darts with the /6.

If anyone has the accelerator cable for my car sitting around or knows if the one from a 72-75 will work, please let me know. This my only car/daily driver, so I need to get this done ASAP.

I'm located in La Habra, CA and the car is currently in a grocery store parking lot in downtown Fullerton, CA. Anyone in the area that has a cable, please contact me and I'll buy it up. Or if anyone can tell me if the cable off the later Darts is the same size. (I would assume it is, but assuming has gotten me into trouble before.)

Just thought about it, if anyone knows of a parts place in the area that carries hard to find parts for old Mopars, that would work as well.

Thank You
I,m not 100% positive,so if you take yours off(Which you have to take off anyway)take it to the store match it up,if it doesn,t measure up?Go to another parts place.Just my 2 cents.

The only real difference in the cables is the end that goes into the throttle pedal assembly. The older ones were round and the newer ones were square. About the only suggestion I can make, for a quick solution, is to buy a newer one and file, whittle, or grind it round enough to go into the older throttle pedal assembly. Sorry.

Thank You
I have that 67 \6 cable original part. I'm right coast so it would be slow getting there. You could drive it home with a piece of string through the fire wall if you wanted to. I drove a VW Beetle with a piece of twine from the carb to the drivers window. You gotta trust your throttle return spring :)

I have that 67 \6 cable original part. I'm right coast so it would be slow getting there. You could drive it home with a piece of string through the fire wall if you wanted to. I drove a VW Beetle with a piece of twine from the carb to the drivers window. You gotta trust your throttle return spring :)

LOL!

I can see you now!

Thanks guys, I actually got lucky and a friend of a friend who's heavy into mountain biking took one look at my snapped cable and figured it out. Apparently high end mountain bikes come with some pretty beefy, high strength rear brake cables. Luckily I hadn't removed the entire throttle cable assembly, just the wire that ran through the middle. I was able to run some of this fancy stainless steel cable through the original sleeve and rig it to my pedal and carb.

Took a couple of days to adjust the length to where its right, and its still not perfect, but I can drive it again.

Thanks for the offer and the advice RedFish, I'm going to see how this plays out for another week, and if it doesn't hold well enough to be permanent, I might have to buy and ship that throttle cable from you.

Again, thanks for all the help guys, I knew I loved my Dart, but didn't realize how much until I could drive her for a couple days. Hopefully I wont have to go through that again.

It was kinda traumatic. =]

That happened to my '68 GTX one winter in my college parking lot. I was freezing my nuts off. Fortunately, the wire broke about one inch outside the sleeve. I took my toolbox from the trunk, bent the stump into a very sharp "v" shape, wired it to the Holley, and wrapped it with some electrical tape. It got me home and then to a Dodge dealer to get a new cable.

-
Back