please post some definate knoweledge on sleeveing a block

-

340plot

the bushy bush
Reaction score
ok, i have a 340 that has a hairline crackin cylinder number 2.

is this block toast, or can it be sleeve?

who with first hand knowledge can give me any info. , so any help would be appreiated

any one know where to get a sleeve? what do they go for? about what shoould it cost at machine shop?

I have sleeved them with holes so big you stick a piston pin through it. Sleeve it. It'll be fine. Probably tween 100-200 bucks installed.

Machine shops can get sleeves, no, the block is not toast, in fact, the engine in my avatar had a piece of **** hyper piston come apart, and the pin dug a hole into the wall until it blew the radiator cap off. Most would've used a new block, but I had so much work into this block, I opted to sleeve it. It was $160 to sleeve it at a diesel engine shop, I honed it with torque plates, got a set of custom forged pistons, and it has made it a long time now, over 100,000 miles, hard truck duty, many many miles of WOT, with a 4" crank pulling 15K or more..

It will have to be bored oversize in that cylinder and then the correct sleeve put in place. When I worked at the salvage we did them all the time on the diesel engines and sometimes on the gas engines. I recall the sleeve was put in the freezer before it was put in the cylinder.

I can most likely get you a phone number to talk to the mechanic that was doing the work and he can give you exact details. PM if you want me to see if I can find his number.

Do you know what the block is overbored to before it cracked ?
If its already punched to .06 over there may not be enough meat left to work with.

Do you know what the block is overbored to before it cracked ?
If its already punched to .06 over there may not be enough meat left to work with.

That is a very valid point. Even if it has to go .060 over would there be enough meat to sleeve that cylinder and have it at .060 in the end.

Well, it is a 73 340. It had all the origional pistons, rods and all bearings had a date mark of 73 on them. This leads me to believe it was never opened up.

I cracked the block stupidly!. One piston was a little stuck, cause someone left a spark plug out of the head for the last 25 years. When i went in from the botton side to tap out, i only tapped on one side, thus forcing the ede\ge of the piston into the side wall, forming a crack

is this block even worht doing this,. I do not need it for my own build. I has sold it, but did not want to see someone pay shipping on an engine i had no clue about. So, i pulled apart to check, and found a stuck piston

or should i just list it all as a special, to someone maybe looking into getting a 340 for a nice price. The crank and everything else is perfect in this engine

Sleeving the block will make it stronger and you can do it to as many cylinders as needed.

Well, it is a 73 340. It had all the origional pistons, rods and all bearings had a date mark of 73 on them. This leads me to believe it was never opened up.

I cracked the block stupidly!. One piston was a little stuck, cause someone left a spark plug out of the head for the last 25 years. When i went in from the botton side to tap out, i only tapped on one side, thus forcing the ede\ge of the piston into the side wall, forming a crack

is this block even worht doing this,. I do not need it for my own build. I has sold it, but did not want to see someone pay shipping on an engine i had no clue about. So, i pulled apart to check, and found a stuck piston

or should i just list it all as a special, to someone maybe looking into getting a 340 for a nice price. The crank and everything else is perfect in this engine

I think that is what I would do.

Have had more than one block sleeved. One of them had 2 holes next to each other done......

I think i'd go this route or put it aside for one of your own builds down the road....Jmo, you may have trouble getting a decent price for it. Would be worth more, done in a car your selling then as a stand alone engine.

i just posted it for sale with trans, heads and all pullies, damper,valve covers, timing cover for 250.00

think that is fair?

Joe, Tell them the issue and let them decide if its worth it. Honestly if the motor is complete with all its original parts, for what you sold it for even needing a sleeve its worth it.

thanks adam. i did sell it to a member on here, but am learning from past mistakes, and decided to pull apart. found an issue. he backed out, so i have to get something for it, or i would give it away.lol

All in line with what my machinest told me recently. He had a customer wanting to keep his numbers matching block but it couldn't be bored any more. Cost him about $800 to re-sleeve every cylinder.

My brother went to have his motor bored. And the guy screwed it up. He made a huge nick in the side of the cylinder. So they honed out the cylinder some more, and sleeved it for us. Luckily they paid for it all. But there was a really bad mark in it.

All in line with what my machinest told me recently. He had a customer wanting to keep his numbers matching block but it couldn't be bored any more. Cost him about $800 to re-sleeve every cylinder.

yea, luckily it is only one cylinder. it is standard bore right now, so i am wondering if it can go back to standard bore in that cylinder to match the others, or maybe cut all to like .20, since it has the low compression pistons anyway.lol

At the machine shop I work at we sleeve cylinders from time to time. Any good machine shop can sleeve a block and will give you zero problems down the road. We charge 125+ the price of the sleeve to do it. We've even sleeved all 8 in a 427 for a numbers matching 67 vette.

Have sleeved all 8 more than once. It only pays if you are a machinist--As others have said--one hole will run about 150-200 bucks. Done properly you cannot tell. J.Rob

yea, luckily it is only one cylinder. it is standard bore right now, so i am wondering if it can go back to standard bore in that cylinder to match the others, or maybe cut all to like .20, since it has the low compression pistons anyway.lol

bore gauge, check it...id rather have a sweet .020 than a screwed std bore and leaky rings that all rotate to the OOR and line gaps up.

Have sleeved all 8 more than once. It only pays if you are a machinist--As others have said--one hole will run about 150-200 bucks. Done properly you cannot tell. J.Rob

Machinist or not, It pays if you have a high dollar car with matching numbers motor like post # 21.....Even if it cost 800-1200 for 8 sleeves, a matching numbers 427 vette versus a non-matching numbers motor is probably about 5-10K difference.... It would be just like one of us Mopar fanatics sleeving a matching number 426 Hemi or 440 motor car.....The value is a lot more than 1200.00....

-
Back