Please school me on sbp rally wheels...

-

7T Swinger

Reaction score
Re: Correct rally wheels

Wondering which years interchange for a 1970 Dart Swinger ?

What are dims ? 14" x 6" ?

Are the center caps & trim rings a one year only thing ?

Can you mix/match caps & trim rings from various years on these rims ?

Thanks in advance.

All small bolt rallyes are the same size...14x5.5". All will fit your car. As for the center caps, the correct caps for 1970 would be the cone style with light argent paint. Any of the small bolt centers will fit though, the difference being the dark argent paint on the 71 and up cone style, and the late 72-74 acorn style. IMO, the cone style is the better looking cap, and I'm a big fan of correctness, so I would go light argent. The trim rings should be for a 5.5" rim and sit right down on the inside lip of the rim, where the rim center meets the rim. A trim ring for a wider wheel will not snap onto the lip of the rim, and a 5" trim ring will be just shy of the inside lip, although they will work. I'm not sure of the correct finish, but most likely it will be polished so when it meets the inside lip, it makes the "D" shaped holes in the rim look circular. A cool look IMO!!! Hope this helps, Geof

Cosgig, I never knew all that. I guess I never paid attention to the year breaks for the bullet vs. the acorn caps. I have 2 sets of wheels and all have been blasted and self etch primed. I also scored a pair of 15x7's for the rear that I might try next spring. Here's a dog dish photo and a rallye wheel photo. A good looking wheel for sure.
toolman

Attachments

• first of october 42.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 396
  • rallys2.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 386
Hey toolman, I personally think your car looks better with the dogdish. IMO, some cars look good with rallyes and some do not. I tried to like them on my 66 but just never warmed up to them. On Nellas 67 Cuda though, I think they look great. Oh, did I tell you i'm a big fan of dogdish too??!!! Thats whats on the 66, and I've had dogdish on a lot of cars over the years. I loved them on my 64 Belvedere, but on my 67 GTX I have the all chrome Magnums. Like I said, I'm a big fan of correctness, and I think your Dart just looks perfect with the dogdish!!! 7T's Swinger however will look sweet with rallyes with the correct centers and polished rims, don't you think??? Geof

I couldn't agree with you more. Some look great and some not so great. I found a set of polished trim rings for the dog dish caps at the Nats that really brighten the car up. I don't think I have any photos though. Mike

The info you have provided is just what I was after and will help me with my search. Thank you very much.

Graham

Here are my 14x5.5 rallyes.They are going on my 71 Demon
with 235-60-14 BF TA radials.

Wilson

Attachments

• 100_3021.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 421
the 1972 "A" Body Rallye Wheel centre caps are one year only : first year for the redesign ; last year for the small bolt circle wheels ( excepting the dumb drum brake-equipped 1973 - 31.Dec.1975 Slant Six Dart / Dart Sport / Duster / Valiant / Scamp , which held on to the irritating 5x4" pattern !! ) .

not sure if the 1972 "A" Body Rallye centre caps are reproduced now ... For years they were near impossible to find !

the 1972 "A" Body Rallye Wheel centre caps are one year only : first year for the redesign ; last year for the small bolt circle wheels ( excepting the dumb drum brake-equipped 1973 - 31.Dec.1975 Slant Six Dart / Dart Sport / Duster / Valiant / Scamp , which held on to the irritating 5x4" pattern !! ) .

not sure if the 1972 "A" Body Rallye centre caps are reproduced now ... For years they were near impossible to find !

Those sure look better than the "acorns" and I have been looking for 2 more for years that were under 30 a piece. We called the "Sombreros" The 2 I have are chrome (?)

Well everyone, you can see in Muscla's picture a couple of things. First... he has the light argent caps, second... He has brushed trim rings. The brushed finish does not reflect the "D" holes and make them look circular like the polished trims will do. You can see the faint reflection of the hole in the brushed trim, but the polished trims really reflect this. His trim rings are for the 5.5" rim though, you can see that the trim bottoms out right where the wheel center meets the outer rim. Nice looking rims there Muscla, they'll look great on a Demon!!!

Just a little more information...when an A body was ordered with an 8 3/4 rearend in 73 and 74, the front brakes were automatically small bolt pattern no matter if they were drum or disc. There were no large bolt 8 3/4's so if a car was equipped with one, it got the small bolt fronts as well. There is a 73 Dart Sport I am trying to get with a 340, 8 3/4 and front disc. Hope this helps, Geof

Cosgig; You sure know your stuff on rallye rims. I am new to the A-body
scene. I've been a E-body guy but the prices drove me out.
I picked up the pictured 14x5.5 rallyes off Kijiji's for $300.00 complete.
I believed they are survivor pieces. Proper caps and trim rings
with factory original paint. Do you believe this to be true by the photos.
Only the valve stems are not original. I think I did well for the price
I paid. The seller originally wanted $600.00 but there was no takers.
I offered $300.00 and he took it.
Here is a picture of my previous E-body with 15x6.5 rallyes.
As everyone can see with the chrome trim rings the rim holes look like circles
in these photos of the Challenger

Wilson
Ontario Canada.

Attachments

• img118.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 313
  • img119.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 334
Well, you can tell by the inner rim that they have not been blasted, so I would assume that they haven't been repainted, at least not without masking off the holes. The caps look to be original as well, it's hard to redo the caps, although I redid mine its a lot of work. The trim rings are definetly 5.5", so either they are original to the rims or came off another set. I believe you had a choice of either brushed or polished back then. $300.00 is a good deal on those, you dun good!!! And thanks for including pictures of your Challenger, it sure is a sweet car, and the picture shows the polished trim rings and all their reflective glory. Should've kept that car AND bought an A body, you know, just for variety!!!LOL!!! Thanks for sharing Muscla, and welcome to the A body ranks!!! Geof

My A-body in progress.
Just a slight correction...it's Muslca (Musclecar)
not Muscla.

Attachments

• 8349g04_20.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 304
  • [email protected]
    12.2 KB · Views: 288
  • 2029me7_20.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 295
  • 5432efh_20.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 325
Oops, sorry there Muslca, my bad!!! Nice Demon though!!! Needs them Rallyes on, just for inspiration purposes, eh?? Geof

more recent resto pics of demon

Attachments

• 100_3029.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 282
  • 100_3030.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 327
  • 100_3032.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 294
  • 100_3106.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 303
  • 100_3109.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 314