Please share comments about Mopar restoration shops

-
I will second "The Finer Details" restoration shops work. I got to crawl under and really look over a Beautiful 71 Cuda at Carlisle last year. Both the builder and owner of the car were there. I've restored a few cars and appreciate seeing quality work. The more I looked a that car and the more details I saw , the more I realized "The Finer Details" IS NOT JUST THEIR NAME. OMG it was PERFECTION in every little detail. I have no idea what it cost to build that car and how long it took but it was worth it.

IMG_4933.JPG

IMG_4937.JPG

IMG_4935.JPEG

I've had a lot of bad experiences at body shops just for paint. First know what you want then write out a contract detailing all of it and set a timeline. Never give too much cash up front because you may end up removing it.

Unless it was a car that had a lot of sentimental value or needed specific custom touches done, I'd just go buy one that was already restored. Would get it for 1/3 of the price and have it right then and there without waiting years to get it.

sounds like you’ve made your decision that works for you. The communication effort ahead of time is great. And location is helpful to monitor things.

I’m going by results. If you read what I write, I acknowledged the painted underside could be owner preference. But the other stuff is just error. Plating something white cad instead of black phosphate. There no cost difference in that. That AAR was not a resto mod. It’s was being offered for around $130K by a second owner.

Roller dyno sounds cool. MCR has a great website and promotion.

I’m suggesting shops to the original poster for best value. Money spent to get the most results.
Value is exactly what I am getting at, my 69 swinger/GTS is a roller, original drivetrain is gone, no vin, dashboard is gone, no fender tag, no broadcast sheet. On top of that it has a Illinois salvage title making it worth less money. I don’t know exactly what it is other than a swinger/GTS. It is fairly solid after a dubious restoration and then a front end collision. It was then stuff into storage and I would guess started being parted out.

So considering all this, how much money would you put into a restoration of this car. In the end I don’t care about it’s inherent end value as I will never sell it. I just won’t put stupid money into it. I’m hoping y’all understand where I am coming from and yes MCR is closer to me than other restoration shops that I feel have the means to accomplish the level of restoration I am looking for. I thoroughly toured their shop and inspected their current work,past work and the procedure of restoring.

Value is exactly what I am getting at, my 69 swinger/GTS is a roller, original drivetrain is gone, no vin, dashboard is gone, no fender tag, no broadcast sheet. On top of that it has a Illinois salvage title making it worth less money. I don’t know exactly what it is other than a swinger/GTS. It is fairly solid after a dubious restoration and then a front end collision. It was then stuff into storage and I would guess started being parted out.

So considering all this, how much money would you put into a restoration of this car. In the end I don’t care about it’s inherent end value as I will never sell it. I just won’t put stupid money into it. I’m hoping y’all understand where I am coming from and yes MCR is closer to me than other restoration shops that I feel have the means to accomplish the level of restoration I am looking for. I thoroughly toured their shop and inspected their current work,past work and the procedure of restoring.

So you communicate your expectations with them up front? And a budget? Sounds smart.

Do you plan on delivering them a shell and get back a painted shell? Then you do all the assembly and component detail work?

Last edited:
I have been watching Graveyard Carz since the first show. And a long-time member here at FABO - Cuda Dad - has had Mark Worman restoring his 69 A-57 Cuda for the last NINE YEARS. It appears that GYC's now has the car finished. Nine years is a LONG time to wait for a car to be restored.

There is another "famous" mopar restoration guy on the East Coast named "Julius" - i think he bills his business as "Mopars by Julius." Does anyone know anything about that shop? I would love to hear a discussion of any mopar restoration shops FABO members know about and if they have had any experiences with the shops. It seems to me that a shop should be able to do a complete tear-down and restoration of any mopar in a year. I restored one of my 68 Barracudas by myself in my home garage in a year. I would think a body shop would be able to do a car in a year.

Please share any experiences you've had with a mopar shop. I have two cars that I would consider sending to a shop if I could find one that was reasonable in time and price.
Jim, being you live in Pa, you could consider talking to Denis Khors of Khors Kustoms
He is a noted Mopar restoration shop and nice guy as well, located in Myerstown, Pa

Last edited:
So you communicate your expectations with them up front? And a budget? Sounds smart.

Do you plan on delivering them a shell and get back a painted shell? Then you do all the assembly and component detail work?
At this point my plans have come to a standstill. First the pandemic and then I retired a bit early to care for my folks who are both 94. My original plan was to get the car dipped and transport it to MCR. No way am I going to pay them 5k to have the car dipped and transported. My last quote for dipping was $800 , but that was 3-4 years ago. Add to that cost about 1k to trans port the car there and weld up a cradle for dipping. The 2 biggest concerns I want addressed by MCR are structural integrity (good bones) and preservation to keep it solid for the long time to come. I already know passenger front frame rail and inner fender need to be replaced along with some of the floor and trunk extensions. I have to wait and see what it looks like after dipping. Panel gaps would be nice. Main reason for MCR is the framework, they have an A body fixture. That I do not want to do off my garage floor. I’m not interested in show paint, just driver quality paint. As for the rest of the work, I’ll do it myself till I get stuck on something.

Jim, being you live in Pa, you could consider talking to Denis Khors of Khors Kustoms
He is a noted Mopar restoration shop and nice guy as well, located in Myerstown, Pa
hi Steve, thanks for the information about Khors Kustoms. i did not know about that shop. i will contact them to feel them out. shipping cars has become very expensive now so i'm trying to find a shop not "too far" from Pittsburgh, Pa.

What type of restoration are you looking for a 100% job or a freshening up such as paint, interior and mechanical?
i don't want a "trailer queen" restoration because those jobs are VERY expensive and then you're afraid to drive it afterward. i would like to find a shop that does "nice driver quality" work.

My Bee spent just over a year having the SHELL done for body and paint, after I stripped it down myself. Took me 32 hours to completely tear a car to a shell !! Body and paint shop had it from Jan 9th 2016 to Feb 1 2017 and they were always paid up and I "dropped by" almost weekly to make sure it stayed in process! All new metal in the floor from firewall to rear bumper then body work and paint. While they were on it I was restoring every part from the car to as factory correct as I could or cared to do. I didn't need to rebuild my engine, but put a new timing chain and seals in it, nor did I have to rebuild my 4 speed. Everything else was restored/rebuilt other than seat covering as they were mint. I worked damn near every day at least 6 hours, buried in the car as "therapy" after we lost a Daughter. Fully mechanically inclined, I build airplanes for a living and have been wrenching mopars (and specifically this car) for over 45 years. Car made it's first cruise around town in about June of 2019. 3.5 years from starting tear down and about 3000 hours. If I'd let the restoration shop handle it all, it would still be there!
hi dadsbee....
i can really relate to your story. i have 7 68-69 Barracudas and i started on one 68 when i returned from Iraq in 2006. it was my "therapy" due to PTSD. i invested around 2600 hours in that car and did it all myself. now i'm a bit older and don't have as much energy as i had 15 years ago. i probably will end up "farming out" some small body work on my remaining cars and then doing much of the work again myself.

Flawless is expensive. I’ve thought it a good idea to ask the shop what kind of flaws to expect in a good paint job but I doubt they would take that well.

Last edited:
Would not go to MCR.

Saw a resto bill and work done by them on a AAR that had lots of incorrect stuff. The price did not reflect the quality.

I believe someone here on FABO had a car done by MCR and was not impressed.
Sir it looks like you might live in CA if I would like to touch base with you. Had my 69 Dart in last years spring fling.

hi dadsbee....
i can really relate to your story. i have 7 68-69 Barracudas and i started on one 68 when i returned from Iraq in 2006. it was my "therapy" due to PTSD. i invested around 2600 hours in that car and did it all myself. now i'm a bit older and don't have as much energy as i had 15 years ago. i probably will end up "farming out" some small body work on my remaining cars and then doing much of the work again myself.
Hi Jim
Maybe you could try Arlington Auto Body on Banksville Road. They are not Mopar exclusive but they race Mopars. I‘ve had collision work done by them and I had no complaints. Wes Leopold Sr raced a Super Stock 426 at PID and Keystone. Wes Jr raced an 8 second Dodge Avenger. I’ve talked to them at Mineral Beach also, nice guys.

Hi Jim
Maybe you could try Arlington Auto Body on Banksville Road. They are not Mopar exclusive but they race Mopars. I‘ve had collision work done by them and I had no complaints. Wes Leopold Sr raced a Super Stock 426 at PID and Keystone. Wes Jr raced an 8 second Dodge Avenger. I’ve talked to them at Mineral Beach also, nice guys.
LOL! it's ironic you should mention Arlington Auto Body. i've been at that shop several times and the last time i was offered a job as a bodyman to start "immediately." i laughed and thanked them for the offer but said i have a bunch of my own cars that i can't get done... LOL! and as to Mineral Beach, i go out there all the time with three guys i hang with who have nice cars. Mineral Beach always has several hundred cars on a nice night in the summer and i LOVE the cheeseburgers made over the open flame pit. i will drop by Arlington again next week and just see if they are still working on old cars or if they only do "insurance claims" like a lot of shops are doing. i hope to see you out at mineral beach this spring. i'll either be in my bronze 68 Barracuda or in my green Challenger Hellcat.

What type of restoration are you looking for a 100% job or a freshening up such as paint, interior and mechanical?
i have two cars that i would like to "farm out." one is my "prize" - a 69 fastback M-Code 440 Cuda and the other one is a "numbers matching" fastback 69 Formula S 383 4 speed. i'm not in to "trailer queens" but prefer nice "driver condition" cars. both cars have great bodies but need to be assembled.

Just a thought. The hi end restoration shops have dedicated craftsmen and metal workers at the highest
skill level and build these cars to show quality. Rarely do you come across a high end shop that will restore
your car to an O.E. level like Dave Walden would.
I don't think many guys want a factory correct restoration.

As to the 9 year restoration and your thoughts about a 1 year completion...take the number
of cars in the shop and multiply it by one year for an estimate.

I got a call last Wednesday from the guy who did the body and paint on my car, asking me could I get the car to him for some minor touchup and put the rocker mouldings on. Ive been waiting two years.
I had the car there Saturday morning.
This guy is 72 been doing body and paint since his mid teens, still uses lead, in fact my quarters were leaded.
He has a 3 bay garage used for storage and a attached garage not even wide enough for two cars.
The work he does is nothing short of incredible
When I pick up the car I will post pictures in this thread
Unfortunately, Friday I got a call from a friend, was not good news
A guy ive know 40 years, one of the best fabricator/lay out man/welder passed away after a brief illness
I did a lot of jobs for and side by side with this guy over the years.
He let me use his shop all the time for my own jobs, I learned a lot from him and went to him for advise
He never thought his **** didnt stink, never boasted and he would come to me for advise on piping jobs
Guy lived for his family and fishing. Was a short guy but a bull and was still at work up until recently
Im so shocked and sad, I still cant believe he is gone
After I left the body shop Saturday, I changed my clothes and went to the wake
His stepson, a kid I worked with often, poor guy cried in my arms
Just sucks, im besides myself but this guy did the same **** ive done since 1970, we sucked up all the same stuff, who needs personal protection? He died of a lung problem. I think at almost 71 im finally seeing the light

Steve, sorry for your loss. You're about 5 years ahead of me in life's journey and it seems like the frequency of losing old friends is increasing. We all have a time, and knowing that certainly makes us think. :(

Anyone ever use Le Hodge of Hodge Restorations in South Carolina? He's done quite a few assorted Mopar's.

I got a call last Wednesday from the guy who did the body and paint on my car, asking me could I get the car to him for some minor touchup and put the rocker mouldings on. Ive been waiting two years.
I had the car there Saturday morning.
This guy is 72 been doing body and paint since his mid teens, still uses lead, in fact my quarters were leaded.
He has a 3 bay garage used for storage and a attached garage not even wide enough for two cars.
The work he does is nothing short of incredible
When I pick up the car I will post pictures in this thread
Unfortunately, Friday I got a call from a friend, was not good news
A guy ive know 40 years, one of the best fabricator/lay out man/welder passed away after a brief illness
I did a lot of jobs for and side by side with this guy over the years.
He let me use his shop all the time for my own jobs, I learned a lot from him and went to him for advise
He never thought his **** didnt stink, never boasted and he would come to me for advise on piping jobs
Guy lived for his family and fishing. Was a short guy but a bull and was still at work up until recently
Im so shocked and sad, I still cant believe he is gone
After I left the body shop Saturday, I changed my clothes and went to the wake
His stepson, a kid I worked with often, poor guy cried in my arms
Just sucks, im besides myself but this guy did the same **** ive done since 1970, we sucked up all the same stuff, who needs personal protection? He died of a lung problem. I think at almost 71 im finally seeing the light
That's a sad story. Unfortunately it's a story occurring more as we and the classic muscles age. I had an acquaintance die suddenly. The Covid bug got him. He was knowledgeable, especially with Max Wedge engines and builds. Not a true restoration shop. But non the less. Another contact gone.

I've been looking into a shop here in Minnesota. The R/T Garage Mopar Muscle. (Kinda strange name) I didn't get the best feeling with my first contact attempt. But I've been wrong before with "Gut feeling." My needs are more piece meal than full restoration. And they soured a bit from that detail.

Sorry to here about your friend.

That's a sad story. Unfortunately it's a story occurring more as we and the classic muscles age. I had an acquaintance die suddenly. The Covid bug got him. He was knowledgeable, especially with Max Wedge engines and builds. Not a true restoration shop. But non the less. Another contact gone.

I've been looking into a shop here in Minnesota. The R/T Garage Mopar Muscle. (Kinda strange name) I didn't get the best feeling with my first contact attempt. But I've been wrong before with "Gut feeling." My needs are more piece meal than full restoration. And they soured a bit from that detail.

Sorry to here about your friend.
Thank You. It has affected me as I never expected a guy vibrant and strong like him to pass away so suddenly
It makes me realise how vulnerable we are as we get older
I also feel the good Lord has given me a pass, im going to at least try and adjust my way of thinking and take advantage of whatever time I have left
As soon as winter breaks im going to sell off my tools I used in my welding trade, machines and what not
The book is closed with that chapter, what I cant sell I will give away to some young guy starting out
As far as restoration shops, id say there are many across this country that are top notch. However they charge big numbers and of course there is a wait
You really have to do diligence to find a shop that is honest, straight forward
All I can say is I took my car completely apart. I made a caster set up for the front end and left the rear in
Between me and the blaster we took the car down to bare metal and he blasted as far under the car as he could reach
The body guy then got the car. My car was solid underneath and all that was done was strip off undercoat and wire wheel everything.
I got the car back when the body was done and painted. Reassembly than happened over the next years
The big step of course is the body as im sure you know
Not knowing your willingness of how much you want to spend (and not asking) if you can afford to do just the body in one shot then id spend the extra money and transport the car, if need be.
From the horror stories ive been told about getting cars restored, the plane tickets, the car transportation costs are going to be small as against the aggravation of having to deal with shops that turn out to be less than reputable
Best of luck

Thank You. It has affected me as I never expected a guy vibrant and strong like him to pass away so suddenly
It makes me realise how vulnerable we are as we get older
I also feel the good Lord has given me a pass, im going to at least try and adjust my way of thinking and take advantage of whatever time I have left
As soon as winter breaks im going to sell off my tools I used in my welding trade, machines and what not
The book is closed with that chapter, what I cant sell I will give away to some young guy starting out
As far as restoration shops, id say there are many across this country that are top notch. However they charge big numbers and of course there is a wait
You really have to do diligence to find a shop that is honest, straight forward
All I can say is I took my car completely apart. I made a caster set up for the front end and left the rear in
Between me and the blaster we took the car down to bare metal and he blasted as far under the car as he could reach
The body guy then got the car. My car was solid underneath and all that was done was strip off undercoat and wire wheel everything.
I got the car back when the body was done and painted. Reassembly than happened over the next years
The big step of course is the body as im sure you know
Not knowing your willingness of how much you want to spend (and not asking) if you can afford to do just the body in one shot then id spend the extra money and transport the car, if need be.
From the horror stories ive been told about getting cars restored, the plane tickets, the car transportation costs are going to be small as against the aggravation of having to deal with shops that turn out to be less than reputable
Best of luck
If this shop in MN pans out well? I'll certainly share. They may have just been more dismissive with me because I was only looking for specific chassis work. And not the whole project. (It's an E-body Pro Street type build.) It might be too small potatoes for their interest.

Good luck and good travels.

-
Back