Pls settle an argument

-
Ok got the full info. My S Fl Mopar buddie's machinist said the the 2001heads had a different intake than pre 2001, requiring a different head.???? Never read or heard such a thing.

There were 2 different castings, I found out the hard way buying a used set from a member here many years ago (circa 2010). And they are just different enough that if you set one next to the other you can see the ports are slightly different. I confirmed by cc'ing the chambers and one head was about 3cc less than the other across the board. IIRC one of them was used only on 5.9L engines in the early-mid 90s then they switched to just using the same heads on all engines. The 5.9L ones were cast at a different foundry and were the ones with slightly bigger ports and chambers.

There were 2 different castings, I found out the hard way buying a used set from a member here many years ago (circa 2010). And they are just different enough that if you set one next to the other you can see the ports are slightly different. I confirmed by cc'ing the chambers and one head was about 3cc less than the other across the board. IIRC one of them was used only on 5.9L engines in the early-mid 90s then they switched to just using the same heads on all engines. The 5.9L ones were cast at a different foundry and were the ones with slightly bigger ports and chambers.
But they should be interchangeable. One head might be a bit different or better but not exclusive to a particular block.

I could've sworn I saw R/T heads on a D'ango that was still in the showroom, but it's been a long time. Maybe I'm just too sober this morning.

That is exactly what I read at Moparts

I thought the R/T heads were Mopar Performance parts and they didn't put them on stock engines?

That's my understanding, also what my MP Magnum Engines book says "they were only available as a performance part through MP/DC dealers". That book also confirms the 2 different head castings.

But they should be interchangeable. One head might be a bit different or better but not exclusive to a particular block.

They are interchangeable but putting one of each type on the same engine might cause some odd performance issues. That's what I ran into, had one of each to put on my 360 build and after measuring the chambers I didn't want to have an engine with lower compression on one bank than the other. Since it was a 360 I got another one of the early 5.9L heads which had the slightly bigger ports and chambers.

That's my understanding, also what my MP Magnum Engines book says "they were only available as a performance part through MP/DC dealers". That book also confirms the 2 different head castings.
Correct!

-
Back