Plug reading,newer unleaded fuels...

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Been a decade,since I tuned anything running anything quick. Usually,a pump gas guy.How nuch ,has reading the plugs changed,with more alcohol added to the pump gas? For what it's worth: Old school analog MSD 6al,and possibly N20 involved,100-125 shot). Magnum 5.9.

You got me dude. I posted up a question awhile back about some new plugs I put in, Autolite 65's 500 miles and still look like new. Maybe the ca winter blend gas comes into play ??

Valid question...Just put it this way. With all the additives and changes in gas,(especially in California)reading the plugs the way our dads did, is a thing of the past.

The use of a wideband O2 sensor is now the best way to go.

As simple as possible. With the newer unleaded fuels and an engine that doesn't burn a bunch of oil, the porcelain should remain white like new and there should be a light gray ring 1/16" wide at the bottom of the porcelain where it is cemented to the iron body. You got that on a new plug, you're real close.

This is a set of plugs that were in my 69 Dart. It had a 400HP 360 that I threw together with some spare parts in the shop. These plugs had 5000 miles on them, NO LIE!

Sadly I no longer have the car :(

Attachments

• Plug rear.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 306
  • Plug side.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 320
  • Plug top.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 299
  • 1969 Dart.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 346
As simple as possible. With the newer unleaded fuels and an engine that doesn't burn a bunch of oil, the porcelain should remain white like new and there should be a light gray ring 1/16" wide at the bottom of the porcelain where it is cemented to the iron body. You got that on a new plug, you're real close.

x2.
The fuels are much cleaner burning and have more detergents - especially the higher octane pump stuff, not to mention the ethanol. Plus oil control has improved especially in regard to machining and materials and oil control rather than "splash" & volume. Effective quench will also help keep plugs cleaner. It's much harder IMO to read them now. I sometimes need a magnifier and I like NGK plugs - the ceramic seems "whiter" to me and easire to read.

Carbon is carbon.

An engine which is richer than stoich will colour the plugs. I would trust the colour of my plugs before i believe what an 02 sensor tells me.

Hysteric

Moper is correct,todays fuels burn very clean and it is nearly impossible to read plugs.
my plugs were white gray and i thought i was maybe a bit lean.
i installed a wideband o2 sensor and clean as they were i was running quite rich.i went another 8% leaner on the cruz circuits and am still at 13.5,a bit rich but am leaving it there

-
Back