Poll Engine Color

WHAT COLOR SHOULD I PAINT MY SMALL BLOCK

• Total voters
-
Orange has been my color under the hood for a long time!!
and alway's will be.

24712_67621606.jpg

How about super stock orange?
85809e4b.jpg

Actually, we're on the second installment, and it might be red also.
I don't really care much about stock anymore. It's more about what I like..........ykwim........?

85809e4b.jpg

for some reason my pics are to big. before you go red, check mine out at my car domain link. 318 was red
now
black block
allum painted cast heads.

May be my opinion....but i think it will look good inside.

WOW 416SCAMP, thats nice looking!!!

1st question I have to ask, is what color is your car and engine compartment? I'd hate to put in a red engine into a green car, or a black engine into a black car. :wack:

Also it depends on what you want to do. Do you want to bring attention to specific parts on it? Or do you just want something that is clean and new looking? Myself, Id probably go with all one color, including factory valve covers, and even paint over the intake (aluminum LD340) as long as it looked close to stock. If it wasn't even close to looking stock, then I'd contrast the colors Orange/Black/Aluminum.

Red is "correct", but more importantly, I think it looks good. It really looks nice with Commando valve covers, if you go that way.

Next choice - race hemi orange (there are two oranges).

Another choice would be turquoise. A common color in those years.

I don't care for black engines, and blue (to me) says smog motor. Mopar started using the blue almost the same time they started putting smog control equipment on cars.

red,

although one advantage to painting it hemi orange is you can get that in a quart can of acrylic enamel and spray it on using a real paint gun. I did that with a 340 engine the year before last using some old Candy apple red ('66 Ford Bronco color) and it turned out looking great (and does not stain when exposed to anti-freeze or other fluids like the MP paint does!!).

Bob

The Chrysler red is more like a red-orange. I used the Duplicolor engine paint. I like the way it looks in a gold engine bay.

barracuda 123 (2).jpg

As you know, my 73 340 engine should be blue.
But a blue engine with an orange air cleaner in a Top Bananna Yellow car just doesn't look right to me. Like 3 different people put the car together.

P1272454.jpg

P2072518.jpg

I voted Chrysler Red just because I like it and it is correct for the car. But as others have said make it the color you like and what goes with the color of the car. That always looks best.

69 all ways starts a good debate. Some say Hemi orange, some say Red and some say Turquiose.

I ordered a brand new '69 Dodge Dart Swinger and the engine was turquiose. Canadian? Yes. A mixed bag that year for engine colors. Chrysler did some strange things back then. "Go figure." ???? I say paint it red.

I voted red.
Inerestingly enough, Jake King painted all of the hemis he built for the Sox & Martin cars the dark ford blue, can anyone think of an uglier color for a mopar engine than that? especially a hemi?
I used to be into '69 Coronets and saw a lot of them, and with 318's, the color changed from red to blue about half way through the production year.
I mostly saw Canadian shipped cars.
Personally, i prefer blue on small blocks, however, originality usually trumps that especially on 340's IMHO.
Tom.:evil4:

My last one was race hemi orange but I really like the silver on my new engine. It matches the aluminum heads real well.

Duster 5.jpg

Engine.jpg

ford blue thats the collor im going to paint my next motor and thats the way i like it dont want to look like everyone else!

-
Back