Poll - How far away from home do you drive your classic?

-
No problem. Those suckers make tons of torque and the small blocks swallows up the 4.00" crank with little to no modification.
Ever dyno it or know what the hp and torque numbers are? I just have a 273 2 barrel in mine, but do have a 340 all roller and more, prob 450 horse to go in it, with a 4000 rpm stall and built 904 trans, but I really don't want to make it a race car yet. I like it as a granny cruiser for now, and just want it real dependable as well. Good gas mileage never hurts too. Thats why I started this poll, to see what folks really run on the road today, and how far they dare to go, lol. Love all the pics you guys are posting too! So cool to see beautiful rides that you guys actually drive.

That's how far my insurance company will pay for towing if I break down. Lol
LMAO

I put about 100,000 on my 68 Barracuda in 10 years, swapping 2 engines, 4 transmissions, and many, many diffs.Having finalized the combo, I have put on another 25,000 on her.
I had two breakdowns on the road,both CDI ignitions, 3 if you count a flat tire.
I am done with CDI, and no more breakdowns since 2004ish.
OOps I forgot to tell you about the two transmissions, and the two rear ends, and the one 7260, I blew up,lol.
I won't count the 904 cuz that was my fault when I mixed 998 gears onto 904
output shaft.
Nor can I count the one cam that started dropping lobes, cuz you know, that was my fault; I missed the memo that screamed about the fact that the oil companies were taking all the ZDDP out of our engine oils.
But I'm with TrailBeast now, I just put gas in, stuff her into overdrive, and I'll see ya when I see ya.
Where's the ballot box, I came here to vote , dogonit,lol.d

Last edited:
These cars are built to be driven and thats what i have done in the past and will do in the future,if you cant drive far,work on the reason for the lack of reliability,i do understand not driving unlimited distances with a racecar but most of us dont run something that is so hard on parts. Just work the bugs out of your car and drive it,they are much more fun that way.I have owned 3 more or less classic cars my 73 Duster that even when the 340 was as meanest i would just jump into it and drive it anywhere at any time and it was the best time of my life drove the thing the first winter i owned it aswell,on salted roads,im paying for that know but except for the winter and salt i would do it all over again when i get it running again.

The 68 chevelle that i used to own,i would drive that thing anywhere aswell with no PB no PB no Windshieldwipers/ washer the thing was even 4wheel drums and 4:11 geared with 25" tall tires so i prefered other cars on longer trips for obvious reasons.

A 78 caprice,yeah thats to new in this thread but it was my daily driver for years and i would not hesitate to drive it in any weather or conditions(yes that car rusted to death rapidly) or any distance it was great for transporting my then skinny *** everywhere.

Just get into your car and drive them,thats what they where built for in the first place just fix the problems that comes from long time of neglect and they are just as or more reliable than modern cars.

These cars are built to be driven and thats what i have done in the past and will do in the future,if you cant drive far,work on the reason for the lack of reliability,i do understand not driving unlimited distances with a racecar but most of us dont run something that is so hard on parts. Just work the bugs out of your car and drive it,they are much more fun that way.I have owned 3 more or less classic cars my 73 Duster that even when the 340 was as meanest i would just jump into it and drive it anywhere at any time and it was the best time of my life drove the thing the first winter i owned it aswell,on salted roads,im paying for that know but except for the winter and salt i would do it all over again when i get it running again.

The 68 chevelle that i used to own,i would drive that thing anywhere aswell with no PB no PB no Windshieldwipers/ washer the thing was even 4wheel drums and 4:11 geared with 25" tall tires so i prefered other cars on longer trips for obvious reasons.

A 78 caprice,yeah thats to new in this thread but it was my daily driver for years and i would not hesitate to drive it in any weather or conditions(yes that car rusted to death rapidly) or any distance it was great for transporting my then skinny *** everywhere.

Just get into your car and drive them,thats what they where built for in the first place just fix the problems that comes from long time of neglect and they are just as or more reliable than modern cars.
I had a 71 340 duster that I drove that from Washington state to NJ towing a small trailer with a fine honda 350 in it, lol. That was a great car. I then drove it New Hampshire and back, racing anything and everything along the way! It never broke down!

My brothers 67 Barracuda, 273 Auto, 8 3/4 Sure Grip 3.23, has 400,000 miles on it. He drove it everywhere any time. What a Great car. I'm redoing it again hopefully back on the road again this fall.

2009 took 68 Dart ragtop from Mpls, Mn up to Duluth then around Lake Superior, up into Ontario then back through Sault Ste Marie then home on S side of Superior to Duluth again. They call it the circle tour, about 2000 miles and 7 days. Avg about 12 mpg :) 360 about 380hp 3:55 gears. Our friends took there motorcycle on trip (they had better mpg :)
That car is gone now, current car (65 Dart GT convertible, mild 318) had gone as far as Keokuk, IA almost to Missouri. Same motorcycle couple went with, we followed Mississippi river down and back. Went though Prairie du Chien, Dubuque, Galena, Davenport & Burlington 4 days 3 nights I think, good time. We like to drive and take day trips. Thinking next year to get to Door County for a visit.

There was one for sale on the St. Louis craigslist awhile back. It was just across the river in Illinois . It was a project in progress and had a lot of parts and a chopped top. Bad ***.

Two years ago I had a class reunion both Subaru and Dart needed oil changes didn't have time to get Subaru into dealership for oil change, changed oil in Dart myself. Trip is 5 hours by interstate, cruised back highway, took 8 hours (one way). Put around 1,000 miles on that weekend. Dart didn't miss a beat. Here is one ofy favorite pictures from the trip.

FB_IMG_1523654942764.jpg

Drive my dart sport 360 with 3.55s and 9.5 FTI 3400-3600 stall converter; about 2 or 3 times a week if possible. Soon to go 3.91s and 292 purple cam and strip dominator single plane intake. Will see how that goes!:eek:

I regularly do a 500 mile round trip from Fort Erie to Kingston, ON, which takes usually about 12 hours by the time I get home. The only thing I don't enjoy is Toronto traffic and take the NYS Thruway whenever possible.

I just updated my signature to show my setup but its a 225 slant six with a TorqueFlite and 2:76 axle. About 30 years ago, I put in a Direct Connection high lift, short duration cam (PN 4120243), 318 valves, 340 valve springs, some mild porting, and a Carter AFB. I upgraded to a Quadrajet last year and to HEI this year.

I just updated my signature to show my setup but its a 225 slant six with a TorqueFlite and 2:76 axle. About 30 years ago, I put in a Direct Connection high lift, short duration cam (PN 4120243), 318 valves, 340 valve springs, some mild porting, and a Carter AFB. I upgraded to a Quadrajet last year and to HEI this year.

Miles per Gallon?

When I moved to Mexico i drove three Mopars from USA:

1972 Satellite Sebring Plus (318 motor was rebuilt in 1979, I changed all the gaskets before the trip and rebuilt the torqueflite) drove it 1,400 miles (28 hour drive) from my brother's house in Valley Springs, CA to La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico.

1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S (rebuilt the 318 it had before the trip) drove it 1,400 miles (28 hour drive) from my brother's house in Valley Springs to La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico.

1965 Plymouth Valiant Signet convertible (original 273) drove it 2,250 mile (42 hour drive) from place of purchase in Port Angeles, Washington to La Paz, Baja Califronia Sur, Mexico.

Since then I have driven the '72 SSP (now refinished in Bahama Yellow) twice up and back to California as far north as Redding, CA (1,600 miles 31 hours one-way) including two drag strip trial runs at Sonoma Raceway during the first trip back.

DSC00032.JPG

DSC01276.JPG

100_2812.JPG

DSC00581.JPG

Miles per Gallon?
Last year, I was working on tuning the Quadrajet and, with a #73 primary jet, my best highway fuel economy so far has been 26 mpg with the APT turned out 4 turns from the bottom. I started to get a lean surge at 3.5 turns.

This year, I upgraded to HEI from the Mopar orange box I had been using for decades. This allowed me to turn the APT all the way in (ie, 0 turns from the bottom) without any lean surge. I haven't had a chance to drive it much since then as I've been working to overcome vapor lock (since the reinstallation of the mechanical fuel pump) and a transmission oil leak.

I'm also using the DC PN P3690788 distributor with 8° initial & 11° centrifugal advance with 7° of vacuum advance for a total of 44° @ crankshaft. For the leaner fuel mixture, I switched to a VC208 advance pod (11° of advance) this summer for total of 52° @ crankshaft. That might be a bit too much advance although I haven't noticed any knock on short drives I've been on so far.

See Quadrajet Upgrade & HEI Ignition Upgrade

I have driven from Ca. to Mo. in a 67 cuda that had been COMPLETELY restored, no problem. I have old cars that the engine/trans has never been apart with how many hundred thousand miles? ( no the speedometer means NOTHING!), and NO I would not venture off more than the distance I would have to travel to get it back home if it failed!! I just made a 1200 mi trip in a 95 dodge 3500 cummins with 220,000 mi , with the original hoses, belt,.... everything.. ( but New batteries) ! NO proble, and pullng trailer and car.
I will not hestitate driving anywhere IF the drivetrain is GOOD, and has good tires, brakes (and rear end too). Yes and with points ign too! LOL
People will say, you drive that car with points and drum brakes!!!! LOL

I will drive anywhere close in my old truck, pulling a trailer to buy mopars.
I do like my more modern truck and jeep for long hauls, because of OD and AC.
I did hit a milestone yesterday, put 10 miles on my Duster, went to alignment shop, and had it safety inspected. Next trip hopefully to my friends shop for paint.

-
Back