Poly 318 Questions

-
Racer Brown has new Weiand aluminum 4 barrel manifolds for a 65 Poly. I doubt your torque convertor will work. They changed crank register diameters in 1968, check before you try to install it. Do you know what trans you have?

Only for slant 6 and 273

Brian

This is not a reason to do so, I can assure you. I won't argue these are "good engines." But even though this can be made to fit, does not make it a good "fit."
It's a bolt in brother. No issues. The torque converter may be an issue on the register, I'm not sure. All Acc. Parts will bolt on from any LA, no problem. Exhaust is the only minor issue.

I'm one of them :D

engine_angle.jpg

Mine is 425hp at the crank. It's in a '60 Dart Seneca.

I love that car. Nice engine shot. The biggest challenge to the Poly engine is excellent head flow to match available cams for best power output. There is a guy on FBBO that can CNC the poly heads for some outstanding numbers. Pricey, but what else is new. He has the rocker pedestals (sp?) milled off like the W-2&5's. I'm not sure what he did for rockers.

OE poster/thread starter;

Basically the Poly will interchange parts with the LA engine to a large degree. What won't is a short list. Pistons, heads & gaskets, intake, exhaust, rockers and cam. Valves as well IIRC, but it is not really an issue to get them ether.
The timing cover & water pump are different from but swap with time marks moved to the otherwise of the engine.
Racer Brown and Crane can make a cam for you.

Performance parts are hard to come by with little verity. Currently, the previously mentioned Chrysler Power (.com) web store offers a brand new 4bbl. Intake casting and valve covers as well as a few cams and tti headers & exhaust. The factory 4bbl. Is OK. The now out of production after market intakes can be found at a hefty price. But they do range from a simple Weiand 4bbl. to a Weiand or Edelbrock (P-600) 3 X 2 and the super rare factory 2 X 4.

Stroked kits are available. Since the mains are the same as the 273/318/340, a striker crank will drop in. The kits come with pistons so the price is kept down as custom pistons are very pricey. IF your pockets are deep and you want to do something totally different, there is a 4.25 crank available. Pistons will cost somewhere around $700-$1,000 though.

Personally I thinking dropping in the fresh engine is a smart move no matter what. That engine should provide decades of reliable motor - vation!

There is a guy on FBBO that can CNC the poly heads for some outstanding numbers. Pricey, but what else is new. He has the rocker pedestals (sp?) milled off like the W-2&5's. I'm not sure what he did for rockers.

Do you happen to remember his username on FBBO? I am interested in ported heads for mine. I have larger valves, but so far the ports have only been gasket matched.

Photos you requested of head pipes for poly manifolds

Attachments

• IMG_2292.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2293.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 148
They fit right in. This is my '67 Fury with original poly 318.

Do you have more pictures of your engine?
Like the throttle linkage setup and bracket.
Got it in last weekend and now trying to finish up the small stuff.
Found a throttle bracket for a poly motor since didn't have one.
Just trying to see how throttle cable and linkage for transmission
Hooks up too it.
Right now it's got me stumped.

Those Poly's are cool!

Attachments

• 10390913_10203865501615891_6345167306807276166_n.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 119
  • garyp811-1.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 130
  • 10713008_501915183282949_8089229232721333600_n.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 113
It's a bolt in brother. No issues. ................ What won't is a short list. Pistons, heads & gaskets, intake, exhaust, rockers and cam. Valves as well IIRC, but it is not really an issue to get them ether.

Performance parts are hard to come by with little verity.

Personally I thinking dropping in the fresh engine is a smart move no matter what. That engine should provide decades of reliable motor - vation!

Thanks for the very detailed reply. I simply meant that for 'the average cruiser' it might not be a "good fit" logically and financially. Up in this neck of the woods, budget used parts and pieces are very dear. I think they are pretty cool engines.

Holy crap. Why can't the guy just get an answer? The engine will fit. Period.

I know it fits now.
Already have it installed in car as of last weekend.
Only stuff left to do is hook up exhaust, wiring, new ignition switch
and lock cylinder. Replace a motor mount that broke while installing motor.

I've got a "Poly" cast iron 4bbl intake manifold I'd sell. It's in good shape; $300 plus shipping. PM if interested

-
Back