Port my current M1 single plane or install the RPM Air Gap?

-
Opinions are a point of view that is formed by input. Whether the input is fact based will vary, although most people beleive that their opinions are "informed opinions". By that I mean not created out of thin air but based on something(s) credible.

Beliefs are rarely based on facts. It's basically why they are beliefs.

As to the crux of the offensivity.
TTi did advise "don't" which obviously was taken personally. OK. I get it.

RRR did write that the numbers in the mags were not to be relied on, and that was in context of the test that was run by someone TTI knows personally would not "throw" the results. I get it. RRR you probably get it too.

There is a long historical background of magazines writing articles about or that use items relateds to their advertizers. Its not just hot rod mags. The skeptisism is understandable and probably healthy.
I was rather surprised when graphing stock 340 dyno power from two magazine articles written decades apart produced very similar results. Now what happened with the add ons was interesting too. Some of that may have been simply how the engine dyno was run (rate of rpm accel for example) or who knows....

I've seen it too much to just believe everything I see like a dog lapping up gravy. Like I said, I gave my opinion. It's not my problem if yall don't like it.
It’s all good here!

That intake shootout is bullshit. OF COURSE a dual plane is better than a single plane.... everywhere...on a MILDLY cammed application that's not making power past 6000. I'm not saying the numbers were wrong, altered, and I'm not saying that the guys performing the tests were being dishonest. All this did in my opinion was illustrate what a poor combination of parts does.

I bet that a properly set up m1 single plane will outperform a properly set up air gap on an engine exceeding 6,000 RPM.

On a separate note, I have an m1 I may end up running, can someone point me to where I might find some information on porting this intake properly?

That intake shootout is bullshit. OF COURSE a dual plane is better than a single plane.... everywhere...on a MILDLY cammed application that's not making power past 6000. I'm not saying the numbers were wrong, altered, and I'm not saying that the guys performing the tests were being dishonest. All this did in my opinion was illustrate what a poor combination of parts does.

I bet that a properly set up m1 single plane will outperform a properly set up air gap on an engine exceeding 6,000 RPM.
The intake test they did above was with an M1 dual plane.

On a separate note, I have an m1 I may end up running, can someone point me to where I might find some information on porting this intake properly?
Ask @pittsburghracer for some tips. I don’t remember him porting a M1 single before though.

On a separate note, I have an m1 I may end up running, can someone point me to where I might find some information on porting this intake properl

That was my thought when I posted. RUSTY RAT ROD educated me with a ANTI-REVERSION plate made by Magna fuel so I went searching as I had never heard of them. Where I then found a conversation with air flow engineer Darin ? from Reher Morrison racing engines about them. Wilson, Morrison, Magnafuel and others make them. So now we are here stuck in traffic and I didn't pick one up today while in Summit today because I didn't measure my throttle blade diameter. If this traffic ever actually friggin moves I'll order one when I get home.

Thats just not true. A decent single plane with a correct sized carb will kill a dual plane all day long and take Sunday off.

Look at the physics of air flow. Then look at a DP, a SP and a TR.

That should explain everything.

I can help there…. Stand by….. I just finished a hell of a dinner!

Late supper for me too

C93A0E73-ABBC-4E1E-9446-0AF498A68253.jpeg

In the episode of engine masters being discussed, season 6 episode 102, called 5.9 magnum intake shootout, Richard Holdener ran the dyno as Brule was out of town. The episode was not sponsored by any of the vendors of parts used in the show. That alone should tell you no one has anything to gain by altering numbers in any way. I also have met, talked to a bunch, and loaned parts for dyno testing to Richard Holdener on a few occasions and I can tell you he is just as honest about dyno numbers as Brule is. Last thought, if anyone comes on here and says the M1 dual plane is better in any way (other than hood clearance) than an edlebrock rpm air gap, that person is full of it and hasn’t done any kind of real world testing at all. We all know the air gap is pretty much the industry standard as far as dual planes go. @jimjimjimmy you should pay closer attention, it wasn’t 30 better. Below are the results.
View attachment 1716032712

I was being sarcastic and i don't give a fat frogs *** if it was 20 or 30 better it was better .

The dyno run in post #38 is a perfect example of 'it ain't necessarily so'.....
While some might bet their favourite ******** that a single plane always makes more HP, that test proves otherwise......
It also highlights another aspect of this hobby, that there are many variables such as port/runner size etc that work better on one engine, but give less output on another engine.

The dyno run in post #38 is a perfect example of 'it ain't necessarily so'.....
While some might bet their favourite ******** that a single plane always makes more HP, that test proves otherwise......
It also highlights another aspect of this hobby, that there are many variables such as port/runner size etc that work better on one engine, but give less output on another engine.
That test is comparing two dual plane intakes.

A dual plane intake is for beginners, those beginning to make power.

Wow....started to read this post hoping to get some insight and it all went downhill quick.
The OP was asking about M1 single plane intake vs RPM dual plane and we went all over the place.

Im in the same situation. The newly built 408 I have I went with the RPM AG. Motor made a little over 500/500.
I'm getting ready to put some spray on it and I feel like a open plenum would be a better choice on the juice.

I have a M1 single plane that I am thinking about swapping to. I'm running Trickflow heads and both intakes have been port matched but not much else.

Which way would you all go? Leave the AG or go with the SP M1?

Wow....started to read this post hoping to get some insight and it all went downhill quick.
The OP was asking about M1 single plane intake vs RPM dual plane and we went all over the place.

Im in the same situation. The newly built 408 I have I went with the RPM AG. Motor made a little over 500/500.
I'm getting ready to put some spray on it and I feel like a open plenum would be a better choice on the juice.

I have a M1 single plane that I am thinking about swapping to. I'm running Trickflow heads and both intakes have been port matched but not much else.

Which way would you all go? Leave the AG or go with the SP M1?
Sideways threads happen quickly with highly opinionated, inflexible thoughts because people are convinced and are staunch on there stance.

Your particular case is IMO ready for a single plane IMO. Though more information would be helpful. The current power numbers are a barometer.

Are All the M1 intakes Thermoquad type of carb flanges??? I never had one.
No. But for the kind I show pictures of, they’re seen on the standard head and the W5 head though there is a square flanged W5 intake as well. (Edit - pictures below)

Last edited:
Sorry for the long distance shot but the W5 (LP large port) intake is obviously up high and behind 3 engines piled with stuff.

image.jpg

Sideways threads happen quickly with highly opinionated, inflexible thoughts because people are convinced and are staunch on there stance.

Your particular case is IMO ready for a single plane IMO. Though more information would be helpful. The current power numbers are a barometer.

Sideways happens because this of us who have done it know that a DP is a loser in 90% of builds.

Science and physics hasn’t changed since 1976 even though Edelbrock would want one to think it has.

The biggest mistake made with a SP intake is a carb that is too big. Get the right sized carb on it and then see what happens.

The second biggest mistake is cam timing.

More info -
Motor - 408 all forged internal balance - hyd roller 238/242 @.50 .580/.580, 10.5 to 1, complete MSD ignition, 35 total timing all in by 3000, 1 3/4" headers full dual exhaust to back. Adding 200 shot nitrous.

Car - 3250 weight, auto with 3500 stall, 3.91 rear gear - Street/Strip

More info -
Motor - 408 all forged internal balance - hyd roller 238/242 @.50 .580/.580, 10.5 to 1, complete MSD ignition, 35 total timing all in by 3000, 1 3/4" headers full dual exhaust to back. Adding 200 shot nitrous.

Car - 3250 weight, auto with 3500 stall, 3.91 rear gear - Street/Strip

M1. What carb?

-
Back