Port my Eddy's or Stroke to 408?

-

flyfish

C8H18+N2O = :-D
Reaction score
I’m getting ready to reassemble my 360, but I’m not sure what would benefit my ET’s the most….buy a crank and pistons to stroke it to a 408, or have my Edelbrock heads fully ported. Not enough money to do both.

The rest of the combo / parts:
360, Scat I beam rods (new)
Comp solid roller, XR286R, 248/254 duration with .576/.582 lift (new)
Air-gap intake, 750 dp
727, 8 inch PTC converter (new)
4:10 gears, 3250 lbs with driver in 67 Barracuda.

I’m leaning toward porting the heads…but I just don’t know. The car is 80-90% race with some weekend street use. Thanks in advance.

Do the stroker. Heads can always be done later. Just pull em off,clean em up and port! The stroker you would have to pull the motor.

Stroker will give you way more tq for the street.

Do the stroker. Heads can always be done later. Just pull em off,clean em up and port! The stroker you would have to pull the motor.

Stroker will give you way more tq for the street.

X2

Yep! Stroke it. Then when you get the money, take the heads off and port them.

some things say new, what was there before? and times before?

Those are new parts that I have that were not part of the old combo. To make a REALLY long story a little shorter…it was a:

360, Eddy heads, Air-gap, 750 dp
MP hydraulic cam, 292/.509
727, 3000 stall (TCI converter)
4:10 gear, 3250 lbs with driver.

Ran 12.4 in Indiana on the motor…same combo in Colorado went 13.8 on the motor and 11.12 in on a 180 shot.

The new combo will not be using the bottle….99.9% of the time.

If the bottom end is good, and you really don't need to rebuild it now, then put the money into the heads. The engine itself gives you the torque, but your horsepower is in the heads.

To do the stroker you'll need more than just the kit.

New balancer and flexplate for a start as they are different than the external balance 360. Figure the forged kit at 1500 or so + another 300-400.

You don't drive on the street much so...

I'd do the heads. The local guy flows them and gets high 290's out of them with strong numbers throughout the range. Charges about 800-1000 including valve job/set up and I believe surfacing.

There are more than a few stock crank/rod 360's buzzing 7200-7500 and making in excess of 550hp. Here's a pic of one of them... Brian at Indio Motor Machine - the cylinder head porters car. 580+hp, Stock bottom end, rods, KB107's. Goes 7500 on occasion. This pic is on the way down! :-D

Brian imm duster.jpg

I don't think you'll see huge benefits with the 408 without ported heads. If you look at the 360 build up page here http://www.mopar1.us/dyno.html
You can see that package 8 makes about 60 hp over similarly set up 360's just with ported heads, and its a milder build than you already have. If the bottom end is good, I'd do the heads, especially for mostly strip car. With the right port job and some tuning I don't see why you couldn't be close to the 500 hp mark.

Package eight:
360 rebuilt with 9.5 to 1 cast pistons, original crank, rods and windage tray. 202 heads with competition valve job and ported to flow 260 cfm. Edelbrock RPM intake, Holley 750 rejetted, Large tube headers and Mopar Performance P4120231 cam with .484" lift, 284 duration, 108 lsa, installed at 106 intake centerline.
460 h.p. @6000 rpm
486 lbs. of torque @ 4,250 rpm

I would agree with porting the heads,if your using nitrous and its mostly a track car I think you will see the biggest bang for the buck.

Plus a 360 has a pretty good stroke in it already. Not like were are talking about a 3.31" stroke here.

To do the stroker you'll need more than just the kit.

New balancer and flexplate for a start as they are different than the external balance 360. Figure the forged kit at 1500 or so + another 300-400.

You don't drive on the street much so...

I'd do the heads. The local guy flows them and gets high 290's out of them with strong numbers throughout the range. Charges about 800-1000 including valve job/set up and I believe surfacing.

There are more than a few stock crank/rod 360's buzzing 7200-7500 and making in excess of 550hp. Here's a pic of one of them... Brian at Indio Motor Machine - the cylinder head porters car. 580+hp, Stock bottom end, rods, KB107's. Goes 7500 on occasion. This pic is on the way down! :-D

I already have an ATI super damper a B&M flex plate, so all I would need is the crank and pistons, but thanks for the heads up.

I was a little leery of using my stock crank again...just not sure how much it has in it before it decides to fly apart....who knows. I guess with a good balance job (and light pistons) those sky high RPM's are ok...the head porting is sounding better all the time...any other real life experiences with this?

I'd port the heads to take advantage of the current build and cam. The stroker can wait and would bennifit from the ported heads as in stock form, they would choke the combo down.

Whatever you do get one of these, if not the crank is going to come out, [it won't be pretty] . lol

girdle.jpg
[/IMG]

If the damper has the bolt on weight you can remove it.

Does the flexplate have a crescent cut out or a weight pad? The flexplate is not the same for a 360 and an internally balanced stroker. You will need a different one unless you externally balance the stroker. Still it's about 70-100 for a new one.

The flex plate I have has the little creasent cut out.

Your 4" kit will not use teh B&M flexplate, unless you pay to have it balanced that way. You can do a stroker, but I tend to agree with the guys... You already have a 3.58 stroke, and you will be running the squirt. until you're ready financially, or the 360 expires and tells you it needs to be replaced, I'd spend some coin on the heads and run it that way. The 4" build will change a lot of things, so your convertor and carb/intake will need to be addressed then too.

Thanks for your help guys. I think I will put my waffleing to rest and go with the head porting. Thanks for all your imput!

Guys!!!! think about it, if you stroke it, you're still going to have to feed it....the motor's going to be to big for the heads.so porting is still needs to be done.....my .02 about it.

Well flyfish (OE poster) agrees with you and is going for it. I also agree with you.
I also like the "Less work and more power output" over taking it all out work load.

If You Are Going 408 Make Sure Your Heads Are Not Anorexic Stock Eddy's Flow Only @ 240 @ .600 Lift. They Make Great Power Across The Board. But They Are A Little Lean On The Top End. W2,915 J,x, 587's Cut Right Will Smoke Um On The Top End With A .580 Lift Cam Or Above. Keep In Mind The Only Way Any Flow Numbers Will Help(be Realized) Is If It Is Gasket Matched And Port Matched To Your Intake. If This Is Not Done Porting Will Help Only Marginally.

If You Are Going 408 Make Sure Your Heads Are Not Anorexic Stock Eddy's Flow Only @ 240 @ .600 Lift. They Make Great Power Across The Board. But They Are A Little Lean On The Top End. W2,915 J,x, 587's Cut Right Will Smoke Um On The Top End With A .580 Lift Cam Or Above. Keep In Mind The Only Way Any Flow Numbers Will Help(be Realized) Is If It Is Gasket Matched And Port Matched To Your Intake. If This Is Not Done Porting Will Help Only Marginally.

I suppose those w2's,915.j,x,and 587's you speak of are stock too??? just like the Edelbrocks your putting down??..all thats needed to get the Edelbrocks to flow good numbers is a simple mild port job and other then the w2's none of those you mentioned will touch the Edelbrocks performance wise without speeding a lot more money,and the Edelbrocks take 50 lbs off the front-end too..:-D

I do 915 j heads 71-72 castings for 1200 a pair and they flow 287cfm at .600
i do this for a living. add 250 for a used set of 915j cores (always on ebay) my 1200 = 1450 for a race heads. eddys are 1200 pair 1200 for the same port i do = 2400. eddys are better for street use hands down but for bang for buck. 915j 's all the way. almost a grand less and higher flow numbers most eddys flow at best 277 at .600. wanna get rid of 50lbs buy a fiberglass hood usbody source 500 bucks youll still have 450 left.

360, Eddy heads, Air-gap, 750 dp
MP hydraulic cam, 292/.509
727, 3000 stall (TCI converter)
4:10 gear, 3250 lbs with driver.

Ran 12.4 in Indiana on the motor…same combo in Colorado went 13.8 on the motor and 11.12 in on a 180 shot.

I have combo that is close to yours and I am only expecting 13.80's to 13.0's
on motor 11.60's with a 125 shot.

The only differences are my cam. I have the 4.80 4.80 -280 Lunati cam with a set of ported J heads. what does your 60's look like. are the Eddy heads that much better ? I know I need to step up the cam I went a little too conservitive with my cam choice.

I would like to go to the Eddy heads and a hydrolic roller. but I have been hearing horror stories about the retro lifters.

Pete

The bonusses from Aluminum (Edelbrocks) are hust too much to ignore IMO. You could spend $1450 for race iron heads. They are maxxed (and I mean maxxed to get those figures if the bench is accurate) and have a finite life span. Plus, they are heavy, and, the chambers huge with no hope for tumble or squish. I've got ported iron heads flowing in the mid 250s range pulling good power figures, but a set of stock LA RPMs will do the same, and you get a chamber you can work with, and the lost weight. I'm not a fan of bling, but once you get over $1000 for a set of iron (which is very easy to do when they are done right) you might as well go RPMs if the budget allows, and build for them in terms of piston choice and machining.

-
Back