Ported 452 or Edelbrock RPM

-
OK, still no leaks! ;-)

I fine tuned my carb with o2 sensor. It's warm af outside... so I get more traction and its less scary to push it more.

Also I'm playing with timing advance. What I noticed is that my engine likes 20 degrees initial, but it puts me at 38 total which is causing some pinging. I have it down to 18 initial, but it pushes me to use 100 octane or octane booster with premium 93 (98 here) to avoid pinging. I did not have this problem when it was cooler outside.

How does the compression affect what timing engine likes? Do I run less total with my 11.3:1 compression?
Am I limited with gas quality on total advance?

I can run 100 octane only, but its not available in all places... Any my car range is not great ;-)

Limit your advance.

Now I have a question, have you just simply set the distributor up at 3000 rpm to be at, let’s say, 34*? And then see where the initial is? and what it would run on? 100 octane on anything less than 20* initial?

Last edited:
Limit your advance.

Now I have a question, have you just simply set the distributor up at 3000 rpm to be at, let’s say, 34*? And then see where the initial is? and what it would run on? 100 octane on anything less than 20* initial?

Well, I was running mix 50/50 100 and 93 initially but I never pushed it as far as now.
I started with 18 initial and 18 degrees distributor bushing giving me 36 total with all in at 2500rpm.
It wants to rev like this. I recently noticed that it likes higher initial advance than it used to with lower compression and previous heads, this is why I asked my questions...

What advance settings would you suggest? I was thinking 20 initial and like 34 total, I saw 14 degrees bushings...

At what rpm should I be all in? It runs hotter when I drive hard, cools down when I cruse..

As for total I was asking my daughter to keep it at over 3000 and was checking timing with light to verify if bushing is really good for 18.

Well, I honestly think you already answered your own question considering all the notes you have gathered. Since it is a street strip car, try for the lowest initial timing with a quick curve to 34/36 by 2500.

Experimentation is really where it is at. You will find what YOUR engine wants.

Here is an update. I still have steel shim gaskets and no leaks. I cant say any bad workd about this choice.
I finally was able to put the car on the dyno. I already posted it elswehere, but its good info for this thread as well, so: 641bhp and 920Nm(678ftlb) on chasis dyno. More info and dyno chart here:
Flat tappet to solid roller...

dyno3.jpg

-
Back