Flat tappet to solid roller...

-
I don't think the static strength is at issue. What happens if you flex them 100,000 times with a valve spring load?

Exactly why I did not want to run them in normal driving.
Don't want to test on my motor to see that it turned out they did not last as long as expected ;-)

OK after some driving I can say that car runs perfect! I had some adventures along the way but not cam related.

What surprises me the most is that motor runs cooler. I need to step up with my thermostat cause now 180 is max temp I see. Before cam swap it overheated and driving in traffic was impossible.

Another thing is oil pressure.
After the swap I get 40psi in neutral and 30psi in gear...

The thing is scary fast now. I'm thinking about sway bars front and rear and panhard bar for the rear axle... :)

Never ending story ;-)

IMG_0954.JPG

IMG_0959.JPG

I don't think the static strength is at issue. What happens if you flex them 100,000 times with a valve spring load?
Its been done before...
It probably would have been fine in his case, as I said, BUT really none of us want to be telling people to go weld their push rods to length ...not when a lot people couldnt weld two cubes of butter with a hot knife....and not when there are correctly made push rods you can buy new.
45+ yrs ago hot rodding wasn't an off the shelf hobby, keep that in mind everyone :)

OK after some driving I can say that car runs perfect! I had some adventures along the way but not cam related.

What surprises me the most is that motor runs cooler. I need to step up with my thermostat cause now 180 is max temp I see. Before cam swap it overheated and driving in traffic was impossible.

Another thing is oil pressure.
After the swap I get 40psi in neutral and 30psi in gear...

The thing is scary fast now. I'm thinking about sway bars front and rear and panhard bar for the rear axle... :)

Never ending story ;-)

View attachment 1715082276

View attachment 1715082277

The 180 doesn't bother me. That's all the hotter my car gets.

Hello

I am planning to work on my duster during winter and decided to swap my camshaft with solid roller. Its a fun car that des like 2000 miles a 1500 miles a year tops. Its street driven as there are no tracks in my country.
I was also thinking about mechanical flat tappet... Not sure what is better for me so here goes all the info:

Engine is 471" B stroker.
Heads are ported 452s that flow 270 at .500 lift and something like 272 at .550 and this is as high as my flowchart shows data.
They were done by the Koffels Place.

Currently I have Comp Cams 21-225-4 flat tappet camshaft.
Cam specs are:
.507/.510 lift
110 lsa
240/246 duration at .050
I use it with 1,6:1 rockers so effective lift is
.540/.544

My converter is PTC 9,5" 3200+ stall. Trans was rebuilt this year and converter is brand new.

Carb is 950 double pumper.

Rear end is 8,75" with 4.11 gears.

With my heads i probably should avoid high lift and focus on duration so I was looking for a cam that has up to .550 lift and that has more duration than my current one but no luck.
I also want to avoid high rpm, my limiter is set to 6400rpm and I usually shift at 6200.
I will use new cam with standard ratio 1.5:1 roller rockers.

Looking at comp cams offer there is 23-702-9 cam that is almost perfect:
.576/.582
110 lsa
248/254 duration at .050

The only thing I dont like is the lift. I dont want to risk it ad I can get clearance issue.

Other alternaive is 23-741-9 cam:
.550/.550
110 lsa
244/244 duration at .050

But could have more duration...

Can You guys suggest something that You think is better?
Does custom grind make sense? Or is it my only option? ;-)
How much more is custom grind?
Can I go to solid roller just like that or any engine work is needed?
Is solid roller worth the extra money over solid flat tappet?
Any guesses about power gains?
Looking for advice from people that went thru this. I am in Europe so its a bit harder for me to get legit info.

Thanks!
:popcorn::thumbsup:

As promissed long time ago, I am posting photos from dyno run. This is from chasis dyno... 641Bhp/920Nm(678ftlb)
Car has Edelbrock Victor intake with 2" adapter and 1050 Dominator carb.
1st run was with tire spin at low rpm.

dyno1.jpg

dyno2.jpg

dyno3.jpg

I know it’s an old thread but
Nice car ! Nice job !
What is your compression ratio ?
What octane fuel do you use ?

Last edited:
-
Back