Ported 906 heads

-

66Valiant528

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a set of ported 906 heads kicking around the garage. 2.14 1.81 valves flowed about 285 at 550 and 185. Dual springs for a solid 282s comp cam.10 degree locks and retainers 1.55 springs 5 angle valve job and back cut exhaust valves. Pulled my 4000 pound B body to 114 mph with a 509 hydraulic cam . Ready to run but I realize aluminum is in and freight is high. What to do? Sell or sit on them? What are they worth? Comments please.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see someone giving anything over a grand...and probably less, since as the kimmer one mentioned, the low cost of aluminum heads.

I have a set of ported 906 heads kicking around the garage. 2.14 1.81 valves flowed about 285 at 550 and 185. Dual springs for a solid 282s comp cam.10 degree locks and retainers 1.55 springs 5 angle valve job and back cut exhaust valves. Pulled my 4000 pound B body to 114 mph with a 509 hydraulic cam . Ready to run but I realize aluminum is in and freight is high. What to do? Sell or sit on them? What are they worth? Comments please.
Shoot man, I'd keep them. I have a trick flow head 470 but I'm going to build a similar 906 for a lower compression 451 in the future & a set of 516 with different valves for a 383 in the future X's 2.
Just think of the Cinderella song, don't know what you got til it's g---one

I'd keep my feelers out locally. Might get a offer that you'd let them go for. Car season is coming, so let any Mopar guys know what you have. Guess that's called networking to us old guys. :)

Considering u can buy a set of Stealths from 440 source for a grand u can base ur price off of that. Kim
Stealth are actually back in stock Kim but they’ve gone up $1200 for a pair. Finding heads these days has been hit and miss

Like I said he can base his price from there. I would t pay $1200.00 for cast heads. Kim
I think 700 or 750 would be it for me with iron heads. "A little more" and you got aluminum.

Let me ask are Stealth heads like E-brocks that need to have the springs retainers,locks and a machine shop check them out before you run them?

Considering u can buy a set of Stealths from 440 source for a grand u can base ur price off of that. Kim
I understand you.. but the two aren't comparable imo aside from possibly performance.

Ported iron heads are getting harder and harder to get done..and well..AND so are the castings.
They are worth near what it would cost to have them done. If someone wants cheap Chinese heads that hang off the block and don't look stock they can go buy them and leave these professionally ported vintage iron heads for somebody else.

Like I said he can base his price from there. I would t pay $1200.00 for cast heads. Kim
Strange.
Well ported cast iron heads have been around that price range for 50 years..
If you were to ask me how much it would cost you to do a set of 2.02 360 heads flowing around 250-260 CFM... I would tell you...around a thousand bucks.

Anything else out there that's ready to run 4 Less technically is not a good head out of the box. Speedmaster aluminum heads are not good heads out of the box....they flow like stock until .400 lift...they kinda suck.

Last edited:
Strange.
Well ported cast iron heads have been around that price range for 50 years..
If where to ask me how much it would cost you to do a set of 2.02 360 heads flowing around 250-260 CFM... I would tell you...around a thousand bucks.

Anything else out there that's ready to run 4 Less technically is not a good head out of the box. Speedmaster aluminum heads are not good heads out of the box....they flow like stock until .400 lift...they kinda suck.
This slant 6 closed chamber head I have......I have about penny for penny 1500 bucks in it. Cast iron is expensive to work. It always has been. Jerry said this was his last one, too. lol

FWIW, Don't forget to check shipping on those Stealths. Add another 106 to that 1200 to my door.
E-streets are 1520 shipped. Although probably just fine, I'm not sure I like PM valve seats.

I would not recommend running any factory iron head unless you feel like you just must run them 'cause you personally feel the need or your class rules require them.

Hopefully we have finished our last 906 heads for someone other than ourselves. With 2.14/1.81 valves these flowed 299cfm @ .550" and set the customer back $3,500.

We had the customer mail us a check for the full amount before we started the heads. You don't want someone backing out of the payment after you put that much work into the heads. And finding another person who needs/wants/can afford heads like that to sell them to is rare.

The primary customer for ported iron heads are the guys playing in the FAST type series........ and they typically spend way more than what Stealth heads cost for nicely reworked heads.

As for what you get for used ones.......probably somewhere around 1/2 of the replacement cost.
If you find the right buyer.

It’s very easy to spend $1500+ refurbishing/reworking factory iron.

Will you trade a pair stock set of 906,, what build date do your heads show

I have an extra set so no. I'd have to take them out of the boxes they're in for a pro date. If you are interested in buying them I can check. What dates do you want? And a friend will be at Carlisle who can probably drop them off if you are out this way.

Let me ask are Stealth heads like E-brocks that need to have the springs retainers,locks and a machine shop check them out before you run them?
Unless you know what your looking at and can fix any issue they might present, every head should see the doctor. (AKA Machinist)

I have an extra set so no. I'd have to take them out of the boxes they're in for a pro date. If you are interested in buying them I can check. What dates do you want? And a friend will be at Carlisle who can probably drop them off if you are out this way.
Hey now, this isn't a sale thread. If you want to sell or trade you need to start a sale thread. That's how we do it here.

@66Valiant528, I have some wicked ported J heads on my 340. Was gonna sell em at Don's 16 years ago.. my Friend and Fellow Mopar Man, Tommy Looked at em, and said " Man you Need to Keep These, they are probably better than x heads. I have some BB (forget cast #, they flow like a 906, but have hardened Exh seats) heads off a built 413 we shoved in a Dart. I ain't coming off them... at least not cheap! Sure, I can get lighter heads, but then I gotta have em prostate checked! They came off running motors. They don't make em anymore. I'll run mine. Besides, my *** is getting killed thanks to obedient Joe! To me, its A Blessing, to have those oversized valved, professionally hogged-out Factory Heads....

@66Valiant528, I have some wicked ported J heads on my 340. Was gonna sell em at Don's 16 years ago.. my Friend and Fellow Mopar Man, Tommy Looked at em, and said " Man you Need to Keep These, they are probably better than x heads. I have some BB (forget cast #, they flow like a 906, but have hardened Exh seats) heads off a built 413 we shoved in a Dart. I ain't coming off them... at least not cheap! Sure, I can get lighter heads, but then I gotta have em prostate checked! They came off running motors. They don't make em anymore. I'll run mine. Besides, my *** is getting killed thanks to obedient Joe! To me, its A Blessing, to have those oversized valved, professionally hogged-out Factory Heads....
I'm starting to think you're onto something. Maybe I should disassemble and give them so.e more exhaust work and save them for a low budget build....

-
Back