Ported Victor W2

-
Here you can see their handiwork of the burr finish at 33 seconds in.

I imagine working it over a sharpened point needle scaler would do similar.

A flat floor makes more power than a inverted V or with a turtle or what ever else they name them. If you have a distribution issue, correct it another way than something taking up all that space on the floor of the manifold.

Last edited:
A flat floor makes more power than a inverted V or with a turtle or what ever else they name them. If you have a distributor issue, correct it another way than something taking up all that space on the floor of the manifold.

Well that is good to know because my floor is definately flat ! Lol

Here you can see their handiwork of the burr finish at 33 seconds in.

I imagine working it over a sharpened point needle scaler would do similar.

It looks like he uses a blasting technique of some type . If he was doing it by hand why would he do the gasket surfaces then machine them flat ?

It looks like he uses a blasting technique of some type . If he was doing it by hand why would he do the gasket surfaces then machine them flat ?

A blasting technique for what? If you watch enough of his YouTube channel he will tell you he finishes the manifolds by hand and then he surfaces the machined faces before they ship.

A blasting technique for what? If you watch enough of his YouTube channel he will tell you he finishes the manifolds by hand and then he surfaces the machined faces before they ship.

I havent watched many of his vids but why would he texture the gasket surfaces ? It would be hours of work just to machine it off .

My guess would be that he wants people to think it is a labor intensive process to discurage competitors and promote clients. Which is fine ... I wouldnt want to divulge my secret process either . But I would have machined the gasket surfaces prior to filming to further the illusion of a time consuming hand process.
Either way it is a cool outcome !

My guess would be that he wants people to think it is a labor intensive process to discurage competitors and promote clients. Which is fine ... I wouldnt want to divulge my secret process either . But I would have machined the gasket surfaces prior to filming to further the illusion of a time consuming hand process.
Either way it is a cool outcome !
At any rate, I bet he charges a premium for it!

I havent watched many of his vids but why would he texture the gasket surfaces ? It would be hours of work just to machine it off .

He runs over the gasket surfaces with a DA sander before he takes pictures or videos to get rid of any scribe lines and pecker tracks. That’s the only reason he does it and it takes about 10 seconds per surface. Before the stuff ships he surfaces all the surfaces.

He runs over the gasket surfaces with a DA sander before he takes pictures or videos to get rid of any scribe lines and pecker tracks. That’s the only reason he does it and it takes about 10 seconds per surface. Before the stuff ships he surfaces all the surfaces.

Ohhh... makes sense .

And I think I figured out how he does it .
An Air Needle . Never seen one before.

Ohhh... makes sense .

And I think I figureout how he does it .
An Air Needle . Never seen one before.

He has posted how he does it on his YouTube videos and on a couple of forums. If you dig around you can find it.

Rat Bastid,
There you go again......That dyslexia kicking in again. I never said that Edel was 'stupid'. What I said was that they changed their thinking. [ post #32 ].
But, while we are talking about stupid...

mbaird,
If you like to experiment, try a pair of 44 IDF Webers mounted on a 1/2" adapter plate.
I did this on a 455 Pontiac that I tune. I am not sure which intake we had on with the Webers, because we were playing with three different intakes at the time [ Victor, factory HO, RPM ]. With an 850 TQ, & a/f optimised on the dyno, the Webers picked up 30 rwhp, with no other changes. Ran 11.58 @ 118. Street driven car, 850 rpm idle, Turbo 400, 3900 lb without driver, 3.31 axle.

mbaird,
If you like to experiment, try a pair of 44 IDF Webers mounted on a 1/2" adapter plate.
I did this on a 455 Pontiac that I tune. I am not sure which intake we had on with the Webers, because we were playing with three different intakes at the time [ Victor, factory HO, RPM ]. With an 850 TQ, & a/f optimised on the dyno, the Webers picked up 30 rwhp, with no other changes. Ran 11.58 @ 118. Street driven car, 850 rpm idle, Turbo 400, 3900 lb without driver, 3.31 axle.

That is funny ... I was at a friends place yesterday and we were talking about Webers and how tunable they were supposed to be . I have no experience but have watched and read about them.
He is working on an early 60s Porsche for a friend and that got us yaking.

Rat Bastid,
There you go again......That dyslexia kicking in again. I never said that Edel was 'stupid'. What I said was that they changed their thinking. [ post #32 ].
But, while we are talking about stupid...

Right. I read what you said, and you say it like the were stupid or something and you’re the smartest dude ever. What the facts are is that you have no idea what they did and why they did it. You just vomit a bunch of garbage out lie, you are an authority on who does what and why. Go back ad read your own post. It drips of arrogance. And ignorance. As per your typical post.

That is funny ... I was at a friends place yesterday and we were talking about Webers and how tunable they were supposed to be . I have no experience but have watched and read about them.
He is working on an early 60s Porsche for a friend and that got us yaking.

I know there is a certain group who thinks the Weber is God’s gift to carburation (especially those who live and die by every word David Vizard ever wrote or said) but in reality they won’t carburate any better than anything else. The example above is one of those times. Without seeing the numbers you can ever know why something was better than something else.

I know little about them besides they have interchangeable venturis and jet changes are super quick . I am sure they were a killed carb for the time .

I know little about them besides they have interchangeable venturis and jet changes are super quick . I am sure they were a killed carb for the time .

They definitely have some advantages, two of which you noted. The biggest disadvantage is at WOT they tend to behave like individual runner carbs. That is similar to what happens with stack injectors or anything with a very small plenum. And they usually give up quite a bit of high(er) rpm power. Also, you have many choices for easy emulsion changes.

RB,
Not winning too many arguments, in this thread or others? Off the medication? Hence the name calling because that is all you've got?

Once again, the FACTS. I never called EDEL stupid or implied that. What I said was that they changed their thinking on plenum volume with an implied question about the reasoning behind the changes.

So are so intent on trying to find fault with anything I say that you are misreading every post I make.

RB,
Once again your ignorance shows in post 69. Many Webers were fitted as production carbs, on intakes that had plenums, one carb feeding multiple cylinders.
The scenario I quoted in post #64 had MORE plenum volume, not less, so I do not know where the NONSENSE about behaving like IR carbs for this set up comes in. What the engine saw was 4 throttle bores, of equal size, no different to say a 750 Holley.

Not even the manufacturers can decide on plenum shape.

Why should every plenum be the same? How is it they can’t “decide” on what it should be? Is it because they shouldn’t all be the same? I guess you are so smart you should consult with these manufacturers and let them know you have it all figured out.
Earlier this year I built a 440. The owner had a collection of intakes: T1, T2, Victor, M1 4500. Out of curiosity, we measured the width, ht, & depth to get an idea of the plenum volume. Here are the numbers in the above order: 535cc, 1260cc, 885cc, 1332cc.
You would expect a 7000+rpm intake like the Victor to have a large plenum; however it is 2/3 the volume of the lower rpm T2. Another thing to notice is the T2 plenum is more than twice the volume of the T1, yet both are 2500-6500 rpm intakes.
It would seem the thinking at Edel went backwards & forwards over the years on plenum vol.

So they think backward and then forwards and they can’t make up their minds. Got it. All plenums should be the same shape AND the same volume because Bewy says it should be so. Got it. The sad fact is you have no idea what went into developing any of these intake manifolds, nor do you have a clue as to why they did it. Your own post in your own words says Edelbrock thought backwards and then unscrewed themselves. That’s YOUR words you fool. Own what you say, because it’s what you said.

RB,
Once again your ignorance shows in post 69. Many Webers were fitted as production carbs, on intakes that had plenums, one carb feeding multiple cylinders.
The scenario I quoted in post #64 had MORE plenum volume, not less, so I do not know where the NONSENSE about behaving like IR carbs for this set up comes in. What the engine saw was 4 throttle bores, of equal size, no different to say a 750 Holley.

Yep. Whatever you say. You are the smartest guy ever. My example about Weber’s acting like IR carbs didn’t have a damn thing to do with anything YOU said. You just aren’t that important. They do act like IT carbs at times. They are more hype than substance. As is typical, you think they are the cats *** and they really are over rated. They certainly won’t outpower a Holley, even though you can’t stand Holley carbs. You can’t even tune one. Now go away you mindless troll.

RB,
You are such an idiot. Learn to read.
If your comment about Webers acting like IR carbs didn't have anything to do with anything, then WHY MENTION IT.

As for Webers, & in particular Chrysler, you know nothing. Here, in 1971, the E49 Valiant had a 265 inline six with triple 45 DCOE Webers, IR intake. It made 302 hp & was a production car. It did the 1/4 in 14.4 sec with a 132 mph top speed. How many Holley equipped 265 ci engines do you know that are doing mid 14 sec 1/4 miles & 130+ top speed????????????????????????????
It got 15-17 mpg [ Imp ] cruising. Comments from road testers such as: 'You can drive around town town at a steady 1500 rpm - 30mph- & never need the to change down.....in fact the engine needs to come down close to 1000 rpm before it grumbles at all.'...We picked 5500 rpm working limit, though the car will run past this quite easily....The Porsche 911s, generally acknowledged, as the worlds best 6 cyl couldn't even match this time to 100 mph, 17.1 secs.' [ Compared to 14.1 secs for the E49.]
'The most immediately noticeable thing about the engine is it's tractability'.
And on it goes...........

You think a Holley is going to beat that? Dream on.

-
Back